PDA

View Full Version : Moms with two (or more) or one and one on the way-help me shop

rrosen
11-22-2004, 01:07 PM
I have a dear family friend who is expecting her second child soon. My Mom has put me in charge of the shopping. The problem is she has everything all ready. She is not registered this time around. She has tons of clothes for the baby already too. So, help me please! What did you get that was really helpful, special, or otherwise the second time around.

ETA- are there things you would have liked to get? Or if you have not had the baby yet- What are you hoping for?
TIA!

Marisa6826
11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Are you trying to be sneaky? I'd say food always works.

:P

-m

brubeck
11-22-2004, 01:43 PM
If Baby #2 is a different gender you can always get clothing (and attach a gift receipt). If not, my favourite gift is to get a big bag of diapers in size 1, some wipes and diaper cream. Again, attach a gift receipt in case they don't like the brand. For Mom you could make a hospital gift bag (calling card, nipple cream, new nursing nightie, hand cream, etc.).

These have all worked for me in the past!

kensjen
11-22-2004, 02:00 PM
The food idea is good. Some of my favorite gifts were food baskets sent to our home. The good stuff, other than cookies and sweets. I was always hungry.

Also, a gift cert for a housecleaning service would be nice. My DH had our house cleaned while I was still in the hospital, and it was so nice to come home to that clean scent!

Does she have a shopping cart cover? I swear, that thing is my second most used baby item, after the boppy. I have been using it since Jonah was about 5 months old or so, and we still use it. I got one from sewcuteboutique on ebay...love love love it!

My SIL is having her second baby any day now, we got them a gift cert to their fave restaurant, movie passes and a bunch of movie snacks (to sneak in, LOL) and my MIL and FIL will babysit. This of course may not happen for awhile, but it will give them something to look forward to, and maybe it will actually MAKE them go out by themselves. If you live nearby this person you could make babysitting gift certificates, like a little coupon, that she could use whenever.Also, maybe a gift card to any nearby restaurants that deliver.

I also think a nice blanket (maybe personalized) for the new baby would be a great gift. That way this baby can have something of its own. (to keep and give to his/her children maybe)

I am a big believer in mama gifts as well as baby gifts, and I bet that would be even more appreciated the second time around. A nice robe or lounging jammies, bath products, SPA gift certificate (yummy), a good book or CD....just a little something would be great. Don't get me wrong, I loved getting the baby gifts, but I always appreciated when someone thought of me.

Just a few ideas. I love to give gifts, and I am always trying to think of what I would love to receive.
(would the friend be using cloth by any chance?!?! LOL )

trumansmom
11-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Everyone has given great ideas, but the only one I would add would be a gift certificate to have pictures taken. Or a handful of disposable cameras. I don't know about other families, but DS had every moment of his life documented up to age 2, and poor DD has a handful of pictures taken before we go someplace where we know people will ask to see them!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

JacksMommy
11-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Gift certificates are always great - friends of our chipped in and got us a bunch of certificates for local restaurants - we did takeout whenever we couldn't deal with cooking and it was a lifesaver. I think this would be even better with #2! A spa certificate, housecleaning, babysitting coupons, etc. would be totally appreciated.

I wish someone would have turned me on the KKAFP (pouch sling) earlier with DS and I think it will be an even more critical accessory with #2 since I will be running after DS as well. Also, since I'm not getting a double stroller, I registered for a boogie board that will let DS stand on the back of my current stroller.

I also think it's nice to give upgrades on stuff your friend might already have, if she's the type to be secretly lusting after a high end diaper bag but would never spend the money on it herself, etc, or would love a Kinderzeat for #1 but can't justify the expense, etc. I registered for a bunch of Haba toys since I didn't know about them when DS was small. Hanna zippers and other high end brands will always be especially welcome in our house, too.

HTH, and let us know what you decide!

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD baby girl 12/24/04

mary b
11-22-2004, 04:16 PM
My girls are exactly 2 years apart, so I really didn't 'need' much, but still could use some practical stuff like new burp cloths, bibs, dipes, supplies, sippys for later etc..

For more gift-like things, I loved when my sis got Lindsey her own Little Giraffe silk blankie/lovie and we also got some other personalized items as well. I got a very nice personalized hooded towel that was just beautiful that she can use for years. I have seen the more traditional ones at PBK as well.

Mary
mom to Noelle and Lindsey

eta to add more stuff.

lizajane
11-22-2004, 06:45 PM
i am expecting #2 son, only 2 months before schuyler's second birthday. so i have all the right gender clothes in pretty much the right season. (i got schuyler's clothes a little big, so they should be right on for his brother in every season.) of course, i already have all the basics, too. but here is my wish list because i discovered some things after schuyler was born that i didn't know about before.

"take along" swing (got one! yay!) because i borrowed a stationary one and will again (need it to take baby to the room where schuyler and i are playing)

0-6 month robeez (i have them in 6-12, 12-18 and 2T and LOVE them)

fun cloth diapers, especially small fitteds for helpers to use-kissaluvs and sugarpeas- (for a non-CD user, i would say packages of diapers/wipes or gift cert. to target, for example, maybe "wrapped" by tying with a bow to a diaper!)

burt's bees products- especially diaper cream and the shampoo bar (i had TONS of the regular ol' brands that i got as gifts and they work absolutely fine... but if someone was looking for a gift for this baby, i would really enjoy having the expensive brands i wouldn't buy for him myself.)

baby medicine (the $$ adds up and you always need baby tylenol, baby motrin, mylicon drops and either baby orajel or hyland's teething tablets!)

HOUSECLEANING certificates/money/help from friends

personalized gifts that are "just for brother" so that he doesn't have all hand-me-downs

gifts for SCHUYLER who will be feeling a little slighted by all the attention his brother is getting. (especially stuff like art supplies that will keep him busy while he "learns" or elmo videos that will keep him entertained while i am nursing.)