PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate turkey?

brubeck
11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
I have nothing against Thanksgiving. I think it's a great holiday. But DH and I hate turkey. No matter what kind. Everything made from turkey tastes the same. Plus there are only 2 of us and the kids. So for Thanksgiving I always make a chicken. It gives DH the 'carving experience' and no leftovers for weeks on end.

People always look at me funny if I mention this. It seems like I am profaning the meaning of Thanksgiving by not having turkey.

Anyone else in the same boat?

mudder17
11-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I don't hate turkey, but growing up, we often didn't have turkey for Thanksgiving. Instead, we had Sukiaki, which was absolutely delicious and was all about the meaning of Thanksgiving--lots of good food, lots of family and friends, and just eating and enjoying each other's company. If you don't know what Sukiaki is, it's because an electric pot in the middle of the table, usually with hot broth, and you just cook things like meat and veggies and seafood and noodles, etc., in the middle of the table and cook/eat as you go along. Delicious! And fun, too. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

McQ
11-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Me! I don't like turkey. I eat it - but under many many layers of gravy.

We're having a turducken this year. A deboned turkey, stuffed with a deboned duck stuffed with a deboned chicken stuffed with crawfish etouffee. The etouffee is the best part. Next to the gravy that is :)

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

NancyJ_redo
11-22-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't 'hate' it, but I only like it 1) for one day (no endless leftovers for me...yuk!), and 2) drenched in Worcestshire sauce. I've eaten it this way ever since I was a kid and can't imagine eating it any other way.

The first year DH and I were dating we went to Thanksgiving at his aunt and uncle's house out in Palm Springs. We ended being there for 3 days and had leftovers for every fricken meal - I had no choice because I was a guest and was the new girlfriend. We now refer to that Thanksgiving as "3 days in the desert". He promised when we got married that there would never be a repeat :P

missym
11-22-2004, 01:54 PM
My family usually didn't have turkey for Thanksgiving; we just didn't care for it enough to make it worth the effort. Often we'd have ham or roast beef, and I remember egg foo yung a couple of times.

Now, the guys who've married into the family are a different story, so we'll have a small turkey in addition to the "main course" of Italian roast beef.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
20 months and counting!

zuzu
11-22-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't, but you're not the only family who doesn't have turkey at Thanksgiving. When I was growing up, my mom loved turkey (and all the leftovers) so she made it several times a year. ("Gee Mom, turkey, AGAIN!?") Some years when Thanksgiving rolled around, turkey didn't seem like anything special for us, so we'd have something like lobster tails or some other treat we didn't eat all the time. That said, we will be having turkey this year. My husband loves it, and my mom is happy to make it for him because he really appreciates it. Some years DH and I have made Cornish game hens when we didn't want all the leftovers. He needs to stay in the poultry family, at least.

I must say, I used to hate the looks I'd get when I told people we didn't eat turkey on Thanksgiving. Being together matters more that what you eat. (Unless you're with family you can't stand--then the food (and drink!) take on a higher meaning!) :P

Enjoy your roast chicken!
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

psophia17
11-22-2004, 02:03 PM
I detest turkey.

I've been cooking the turkey for Thanksgiving for years, and I made my family eat it. That way, I wouldn't have to, because they all know that when I cook something, I tend not to like eating it. DH and his family love turkey, and the leftovers. Yuck.

I was at the wedding reception of a turkey farmer's son, and surprise, they served up a special turkey, groomed for the occasion. All everyone did was compliment the turkey. I served myself a little piece, because I couldn't get away with not doing so, as the turkey farmer was standing right there, and then he sat down next to me to chat abour farming, since he knew I grew up on a farm. So I had to choke down that nasty gross turkey and pretend I liked it.

The rest of the Thanksgiving dinner is okay with me, but spare me the turkey.

candybomiller
11-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Ok, so I can't stand the taste of any kind of meat. *Blech* But I find turkey particularly repulsive. When I ate it, it had to be drowned in gravy. Even then I ate only a bite or two. I'm gagging thinking about it.

On another topic, anyone have any experience with tofurkey? I'm wondering if it actually tastes like turkey - which would then make it repulsive. Sometimes I don't understand why people make fake meat taste like meat. Seems to defeat some sort of purpose, but I know that some people are vegeterian for reasons other than the fact that the taste of meat makes them ill.

Ok, done rambling. (rambeling?) What an odd word.

psophia17
11-22-2004, 02:47 PM
A vegetarian friend always has tofurkey for holidays - she says it tastes just like she remembers turkey tasting before she stopped eating meat.

So yes, that means it must be repulsive ;)

Tondi G
11-22-2004, 06:22 PM
I don't mind Turkey... I eat turkey sandwiches all the time. But simple roasted turkey alone is not my fav!

We serve so much other stuff on thanksgiving.... Honeybaked Ham, potatoes, corn, green beans, stuffing, sweet potatoes (2 different types)... salads. I always take a small slice of turkey drown it with gravy and eat it with cranberry sauce and then fill up on the sides!!!!! for me thanksgiving isn't about the turkey it's about everything else..... YUMMMM!!!!

Oh and my mom always used to make a big turkey dinner for christmas too..... when we started having Christmas at our house my sister and I said NO to Turkey! Now our tradition is Lamb on Christmas and everyone seems pleased!!!!!

~Tondi

lizajane
11-22-2004, 06:26 PM
i like turkey. but i certainly don't think you have to have one just becaue it is thanksgiving!! you could do a ham if you felt the need to be traditional. but really, who cares? have lasagne! have roast beef! have chicken! eat what you like. :)

mommyj_2
11-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Dh and I had Peking duck for Thanksgiving for several years. We had turkey last year, but I still haven't decided if I want to do the whole traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year or have duck again. I always make pumpkin pie, though.

brubeck
11-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Whew! I am glad to see that I am not the only one!

And as for turkey horror stories.... DD was born on Thanksgiving Day. After I finished labor and initial meet 'n greet with DD the nurse came in and told me that they had saved me some lunch. I was starved and thet brought me in a huge plate of turkey! Yuck! They thought they were being nice but right after labor a big hunk of dry turkey was NOT what I wanted. x(

peasprout
11-22-2004, 07:44 PM
I know a lot of people that don't like turkey that much, but they all LOVE the stuffing, candied yams, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, and whatever else goes with the turkey. I think I'm the only one that doesn't like ANY of it! Although I'd like to try a deep fried turkey one day. I heard those are really good!

jubilee
11-23-2004, 02:45 AM
I love turkey, however, last year my MIL got a Honeybaked Ham and warmed it up (it is already pre-cooked). And that ham was WOW!! I couldn't get enough and am really, really hoping that she's doing that again this year.

brubeck
11-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Those hams are actually better cold because of the crispy candy coating. But they are good! If you want one though be sure to RESERVE it. And if you want a small one specify that. Otherwise you'll have enough to feed 8 people!

Tondi G
11-23-2004, 01:20 PM
MMMM Honeybaked Ham!!!!! We have gotten one every Thanksgiving for years! We always serve it cold with french rolls, the champagne mustard they sell in the store along side so people can make a sandwich while they are waiting for the bird to be done! Then of course we all have Ham and/or turkey sandwiches for a few days... YUM! I've never heard ANYONE complain that they didn't like the Ham!!!! LOL

~Tondi