PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Photoshop Elements 2.0?

LucyG
11-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Here I am with yet another Photoshop question! Sorry! I thought I wanted to get the newer version (3.0), but the reviews I've read just aren't that great. Plus, since I don't desire to do anything extremely high-tech with whichever version I get, I'm wondering if 2.0 might be fine for my needs (and cheaper, also). So, if you are familiar with Elements 2.0, would you mind running down my list of needs to see if you think 2.0 would fit the bill?

I want to be able to:
- crop
- reduce red-eye
- improve the lighting quality on digital photos
- change color pics to b&w and sepia
- remove objects from pictures (dog sitting behind baby, etc.)
- soften images
- make slideshows
- maybe learn to make the cool collages I've seen here :-)

I'm open to learning lots more, but those are the basics that I need. I have a 5 mp digital camera. It's our main camera, and we make prints of some of our digital pics for albums, the grandparents, etc.

Are there any major improvements in version 3.0 that you think make it much, much better than 2.0?

Thanks for you patience as I obsess!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
20 months and counting!

August Mom
11-22-2004, 02:52 PM
We have 2.0 and just upgraded to 3.0. I haven't used 3.0 long enough to tell you if it's great. I will say that the red eye feature on 3.0 is much easier when it works. In 3.0, you just click in the pupil and it turns the whole pupil black. In 2.0, you have to click multiple times all around the area where you see red. However, I have been having a few issues with the 3.0 red eye feature too, like when the program thinks it's darkening the pupil, but it's actually casting a grey shadow over someone's hair or nose.

As far as your above list:

- crop - Yes

- reduce red-eye - Yes

- improve the lighting quality on digital photos - Yes, to a certain extent (you can change all sorts of setting to improve the color, contrast, lighting, sharpness, etc., but if a photo is really messed up to begin with, it will never be perfect, just better)

- change color pics to b&w and sepia - Yes

- remove objects from pictures (dog sitting behind baby, etc.) - Yes (but this is a more advanced skill and the difficulty really depends on the background. There are different tools that you can use to attempt to accomplish this.)

- soften images - Not positive what you mean here, but if you want to add edges or blur, etc. you can do that

- make slideshows - I don't think so. I do think you can do this in Adobe Photoshop Album. We use Pinnacle, though.

- maybe learn to make the cool collages I've seen here - I made one with 2.0 for DS's birthday invitation, so it can be done.

searchdog
11-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Does 3.0 include all the features of 2.0 I am deciding which version I want as well. I found a place where I can get 3.0 for 34.95 but you have to download it, therefore you have no instrucion book or cd for reinstall. DH says I can just burn a copy of the download to a cd-r in case I ever need to reinstall it. I have an email into the company to ask them a few questions. If I can make a copy it will be a fabulous deal and I have to say I have never used the book that came with software. Do you think I need the book?

s_gosney
11-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Hey Lucy. I don't know the specific answers to your questions, but I'm going with 2.0. The photoshop goddess :) Rashmi says that's what she uses, so I'm sure it will be great. Someone commented somewhere that 2.0 lacks some of the picture organization capabilities that 3.0 has, but to me that's not worth the price difference. You can get cheap photo org software or use shutterfly, etc, or just save them all in a way that makes sense to you. I don't guess I really see the purpose in that type of software, but maybe I'm missing something obvious...
Anyway, that's what I'm planning on doing. Hth a teeny weeny little bit at least!

s_gosney
11-22-2004, 03:22 PM
n/t

s_gosney
11-22-2004, 03:26 PM
n/t

LucyG
11-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Wow! Thanks for the detailed response! I think I can get Photoshop Album bundled with Elements 2.0, so that would give me the slideshow capability.

20 months and counting!

August Mom
11-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I just checked for sure and you can make a slideshow with Album. http://www.adobe.com/tips/phsal2slides/main.html I'm not positive how much you can customize it, though. Hopefully someone else has actually made a slideshow with it and can comment.

I think that 3.0 essentially has Album integrated. You can make a slideshow in 3.0. Here is a link noting the new additions/improvements of 3.0. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/newfeatures.html

jubilee
11-23-2004, 02:54 AM
Where are you finding Photoshop Elements 2.0 for the best price? I've seen some on Ebay, but I get a little concerned about that. The regular online stores have it for about $40- but I'd like to get it even cheaper than that. Any suggestions?

LucyG
11-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Julie,

I suggested amazon.com to my IL's. They are the ones who needed suggestions for gifts for me! I *think* you can get Elements 2.0 and Photoshop Album together for $54 at Amazon. Not sure. I checked last night, but didn't write it down. If you have found it for $40, though, that's even better.

20 months and counting!