PDA

View Full Version : For once I'm actually not seething in envy

MartiesMom2B
11-22-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm watching Oprah's favorite gift show now, and I'm actually not dying from envy. Everyone in the audience are teachers. While I don't teach, I have friends that are teachers and I know they get paid peanuts and they deserve some major freebies in life. And boy, these are great freebies that Oprah's handing out.

-Sonia

khakismom
11-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Spill Sonia! I am at work and can't see all the goodies. What great stuff are they getting? Anything you'll be picking up soon? :D

(And that is awesome that everyone in the audience are teachers!)

jamsmu
11-22-2004, 04:39 PM
I can't believe i forgot. Just turned it on. I CAN be jealous--and I am!!!

So, what are your fave items?

MartiesMom2B
11-22-2004, 04:48 PM
So far they've gotten flat screen tvs, a luxury lounging outfit, burberry coats and scarves, some neat-o bag, and a trip to some fancy place, and now Oprah's given them gift cards for an office supply store. Oooh they just got laptops. Sorry that I don't have the specific details (I've been IMing DH about our Thanksgiving plans, surfing the net, and changing dirty diapers.

-Sonia

sbjf
11-22-2004, 04:55 PM
First of all, is this the first year the Favorite Things audience has been teachers? In the past was it just any random occupation of folks? Just curious, because although I think it's great that they are teachers who are getting the gifts this year, I still think this is just lame.

Watching this show, which I do for about 2 minutes each year, makes me gag. The audience goes totally orgasmic over each gift, crying over a maytag dryer system for example, it's just ludicrous in my opinion.

I guess for some reason the concept of this show is unappealing to me.

I guess if she is going to continue doing this teachers are a good group to give to. Maybe next year she'll do stay at home moms.

Anyone else have these feelings over the Favorite Things show? Obviously I would love any one of the gifts she's giving away, I just cannot envision myself being that orgasmic (like these audiences traditionally are) over them. I know I am sounding very bah humbug here and I'm not typically like that, lol, but this show just has always rubbed me the wrong way.

crayonblue
11-22-2004, 05:18 PM
"Obviously I would love any one of the gifts she's giving away, I just cannot envision myself being that orgasmic (like these audiences traditionally are) over them."

I agree and this is probably why I would never be picked for a show like this! I think that it wouldn't look very good if the audience members just smiled and clapped politely when Oprah unveiled her gifts. But, I do agree with you.

I think it would be a lot of fun to be on Oprah's side of this. Please don't anyone flame me for this, but I also think that some of the good in giving is lost when it is so publicized. It really turns me off to hear people listing off how much they give and who they give to, etc, etc, etc. Anonymous giving is much more appealing to me. But, I'm sure Oprah does a lot of that too.

I did like the ribbon watch and the purple bag. And, Lauren, who no longer will watch TV, sat on my lap, enthralled with the yelling ladies!

wagner36
11-22-2004, 06:17 PM
I used to agree with you, and then a couple of years ago I went to Oprah with my mom (and my dad and DH - they were so mad they had to go along, but the way you get tickets you have to give all 4 names right away - max of 4 tickets) and it was the most boring show EVER and STILL people were screaming and getting so excited. Her staff is so good at getting every one all riled up, in a totally non-cheesy way. From the minute you get there, there's just excitement in the air, and you simply can't help but get excited. It's kind of like living in Wisconsin - even if you hate the Packers, you can't help but get excited and root for them when they have big games or make the playoffs, because everyone around you is just so happy (and completely covered in gold and green).

jk3
11-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Part of the reason it's great that she chose a group of teachers is the salary issue. In addition to low salaries, most teachers spend hundreds + often thousands out of pocket on their classrooms. Furthermore, many parents treat teachers like second-class citizens, not like the professionals they are. I can't think of a more deserving group especially since Oprah already showcased Military moms-to-be.

I'm not the type to go crazy but I bet if I was on that show I would be overly excited about most of the gifts. Love Oprah!!!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

lizajane
11-22-2004, 06:34 PM
i enjoy the show. i like the fantasy of it. i like thinking about the material things that i would enjoy having, but that i will never have. (and honestly, don't know that i would have even if i could afford it... $400 for a bag??? what a waste! but still fun to look at!)

i think i would be pretty darn excited if i were a teacher (used to be one, in fact) who spent her extra income buying things for kids instead of for herself (used to do that, too.) and then a "stranger" suddenly said i could have some very nice, very high quality items that i could NEVER DREAM of buying for myself, or getting as a gift. like i said, even if i could afford it, i would probably not buy myself a $400 bag. but if oprah gave me one, i wouldn't feel guilty about enjoying something extravagant that was just for me.

i don't think i am making my point very well. i guess i am just saying that i think the show is fun, and now that she has figured out that folks who deserve a little extra kindness should get to have all the "stuff" i like it even more.

icunurse
11-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Hate to be all whiney (and I have actually written to Oprah about doing a show about this), but nurses are also overworked, underpaid, often understaffed, are regularly exposed to contagious diseases, usually are not respected by the community, and are responsible for peoples lives (anyone who thinks a doctor in a hospital is incharge of or often times even aware of their condition - guess who's watching and calling the doc about it!). I think it's great that she's not giving these gifts to the usual wealthy socialites who attend the show and have probably one of each color of the item at their home. But what about the others servers of society, like police, firefighters, etc.? And, yes, some SAHP's are included :)
Traci
~Connor's Mom~

chlobo
11-22-2004, 07:21 PM
I think that most people like to get something for free so why not. I kind of wished I could have been in the audience. I would love to get a bunch of stuff I can't afford to buy for free.

That said, i also can't imagine going all googly like the audience does. I just don't have that in me.

jamsmu
11-22-2004, 07:43 PM
I think you made your point very well. It was wonderful of her to recognize teachers. I think that was one reason I got so teary. Because we know what its like -- and today showed her appreciation, which I appreciated.

peasprout
11-22-2004, 07:47 PM
How do you get tickets? I couldn't really find any info on that? Has anyone been able to get them recently?

sbjf
11-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Totally agree! I hope she does one group each year of all that you mentioned. :-)

wagner36
11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Hmmm. There's a number that listed on the website. I don't remember what it is, but you just have to put it on your speed dial and try to get through. They only film at certain times of the year, and only a few days a week, so you just have to keep checking.

ETA: Here's the link - they're not currently taking reservations, and it looks like taping doesn't start up until January, so I would check back early to mid december every day until they start taking reservations again. Good luck!

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/program/tows_prog_getticks.jhtml

Jeanmick
11-22-2004, 11:43 PM
>I think that most people like to get something for free so
>why not. I kind of wished I could have been in the audience.
>I would love to get a bunch of stuff I can't afford to buy for
>free.

I wonder if the teachers (and the pregnant military moms from a few shows back) have to pay taxes on all the things they received. From what I remember, the audience who received cars on Oprah's first show had to pay all the taxes that went with receiving the cars. My guess is that they'll have to, so what they get may not be exactly "free."

Free or not, I think it's wonderful that Oprah recognized educators and all the time and effort they put in. I was in education for several years before I became a SAHM and I remember shelling out cash for my own supplies (on the pittance of a salary I made) and spending countless hours at home above and beyond the regular school day to prep, do reports and the like.

I'm thrilled for them! ;)

HGraceMom
11-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Someone in our community received an Oprah car, and in a newspaper interview commented that in addition to the car, Oprah also gave the recipients $ to pay the taxes on them. It would have been rotten publicity if they all had to sell the cars to pay the taxes...

lizajane
11-23-2004, 10:58 AM
hey- i hear ya! i hope next show will be full of nurses, or police, etc. i wish i could have written the check to my delivery nurse instead of the OB. it was VERY clear who did all the work!!! she was amazing and he was only there for a few minutes. (i liked him fine, too, but my nurse was my savior!)

C99
11-23-2004, 11:01 PM
>calling the doc about it!). I think it's great that she's not
>giving these gifts to the usual wealthy socialites who attend

Good lord, that is *not* the usual audience of an Oprah show, even the favorite things show. A playgroup friend of mine went to what ended up being the favorite things show while she was pregnant -- and my friend is so not a wealthy socialite! Neither is my MIL, who also has been to the show with her friends.

I don't watch Oprah, but I live in Chicago and know a lot of people who do watch her show (and go to the tapings) and they are more like half the people on this board than anyone you'd read about in an US mag.