PDA

View Full Version : My brother the jerk (was Anyone live in Auguta, Ga?)

mommd
11-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Edited to change the title, hoping more people will read it and maybe have advice...

This could also be posted as "Why my brother is a jerk". If I had to list all the reasons it would take me a week, but anyway... My father had an antique clock which had been passed on from father to son for some time. When my father died six years ago, my Mom made sure my brother got the clock. My father was a veteran, so he also had a flag on his coffin which also went to my brother. Fast forward to last year, my brother got out of the air force and moved back to Chicago, leaving all of his possessions in a storage unit in Augusta. He hasn't paid for storage (or anything else, but I digress..) and now the items are going up for auction. We already called the storage place and they said the only way to get the clock is to be present at the auction on January 13th. Luckily, the flag is considered a "personal item" and will be sent to us, but they can get money for the clock.

Well, there is NO WAY we can get to Georgia on January 13th. Any advice on how to get this clock? Anyone live nearby and like auctions? We don't have a lot of things to remember my father by, and I am just heartbroken to think we will lose this priceless family item because my brother is an immature jerk. :(

psophia17
11-22-2004, 06:05 PM
I wish I could go for you, but I'm nowhere near Augusta, Georgia, and don't know anyone who is...

ITA, your brother is most definitely a jerk...

phirey
11-22-2004, 08:32 PM
I live in the Atlanta area, about 2 1/2 hours from Augusta. I lost both my parents and later my grandmother, so my sister and I, too, share a storage unit of family heirlooms. I can totally relate to how I'd feel if I were in your shoes.

Jan. 13 is a Thursday, my surgery day, and therefore I'll have a really hard time getting out to Augusta myself, but I'll work on it. In the meantime I'm going to copy your post to the BBBGeorgiaGang Yahoo group, in hopes that one of the other gals can help you out.

If the auction house can put it aside for you (maybe telephone bid?), we have a big pickup truck. We could go out and pick it up on a weekend, maybe.

Good luck!

jamsmu
11-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Renee, I really wish I could help you or I knew someone who could. Your brother is, obviously, completely irresponsible and, of course, a JERK!!

I really hope this works out for you and you get the clock.

mommd
11-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks for sending it to the Georgia group. The problem is, after talking to the people at the storage facility, the auction is done by box, not item. I'm not sure if you get to see what is in the box first or what. So, I would need to buy the whole box or wait for someone to buy a box and ask them if I can buy the clock from them. It is all very confusing. I really wish the storage place would just set it aside for us and let us give them money.

Thanks for your offer to go, but of course I understand that you can't.

jd11365
11-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Oh Renee! I'm a terribly sentimental person myself...having my childhood piano shipped NY to FL in two weeks for this reason. I'm sure someone will be able to help...don't under-estimate the power of these boards! Could you make a plea to the storage facility to pay off the back payments...and a few bucks more to get it back? Tell them they can keep the rest of the stuff, you just want the clock. Hope you find some resolution...please keep us posted!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

barbarhow
11-22-2004, 09:23 PM
My brother is a jerk, too, so I can relate. I just wish I were near Georgia and could get the clock for you. I hope someone reads this and is able to help you. Have you offered the auction company a good sum for the clock? Money talks. Usually, anyway.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

mommd
11-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I tried offering money. They said it was illegal for them to go through his stuff. Ummm.. if they are going to sell it anyway, why can't they look at it? Doesn't make any sense.

I've read your posts about your brother, and I'm sorry he is such a jerk too! Don't let him ruin your holiday. My brother hasn't even talked to my Mother or anyone else in three months, and I think that is a good thing at this point!

gour0
11-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Yikes! Do you have the name of the Auction house. Maybe they can tell you if they list the box contents during the auction. I mean, why would anyone bid on a mystery box? KWIM? Is the clock the only thing he has left, or is it just the most important?

mommd
11-22-2004, 11:00 PM
The clock is the only really important thing my brother had of my father's. I don't care what happens to the rest of his stuff. I'll try to find out more info about how the auction is done tomorrow. I was just too frustrated talking to them about it today.

abigailsmom
11-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Renee,

I am in Augusta. Sorry i am just now getting around to answering you, but I was just informed on the Georgia Gang Yahoo group! I would be more than happy to help you out. I lost my father 4 years ago and since all h@!! has brocken loose. I have lost a lot of things that were important to me in the aftermath. It will feel like a victory against the injustices of the world to help you out.

Let me know the details and I will be happy to help. It just so happens to fall on a day that I will not have class.

You can e-mail me through the boards or abigailmom2002 @ yahoo . com

Robyn
Mama to a precious little Pooper, Abigial

Robyn's Nest Creations

jubilee
11-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Robyn- I just wanted to say that is AMAZINGINGLY awesome of you to do this! I hope everything works out for it's safe return!

mommd
11-23-2004, 08:15 AM
OMG, thank you so so so much!!!! I don't have all of the details yet, but I will let you know as soon as I do. All I know is it will be on January 13th and the name of the storage place. I will email you as soon as I know more. THANK YOU!!! :)

jbowman
11-23-2004, 08:49 AM
I think that's awesome too--this community is the best! Good luck Robyn and Renee!

jupster75
11-23-2004, 08:56 AM
I haven't had time to read recently so I just saw this. I live in Augusta also. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. My e-mail is jupster 75 @ yahoo . com (no spaces).

I know how much family heirlooms mean. My grandmother is schizophrenic and has thrown away lots of treasured items and photographs that we can never get back.

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031103/3/4/1/+10/.png

papal
11-23-2004, 09:19 AM
I hope the clock returns to Renee's home, safe and sound. I agree, your brother is a jerk. grr.

Robyn, you are awesome for doing this!

kristenk
11-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Yea!!! I'm sooooo glad that Robyn's able to help out! I wanted to post and say that my fingers are crossed that someone can help out, but I didn't want to get hopes up (at a reply posted to the thread) only to have them fall again when it was just a good luck post. It really is amazing how much information you can get and stuff you can accomplish through this board!

kristenk
11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
I posted my reply before I saw this post! So let me add that it's so nice of you to volunteer to help out, too! :)

dowlinal
11-23-2004, 10:45 AM
I am no where near Georgia but I wanted to tell you that I feel your pain. My brother-in-law did something similar and my husband lost all of his deceased mother's possessions except for a box of pictures/papers. Unfortunately for us we didn't find out until after the auction.

Your situtation is so wrong. I would have hoped that someone involved would have a heart and try to help you out. Is someone in the media either where you are or in georgia who can help you? I know that the NY stations have these "help me" reports and they air stories like yours. Usually the businesses solve the problem to avoid looking like jerks on the news.

mommd
11-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Jennifer,

I emailed you through the boards. Thanks!

mommd
11-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Robyn,

I emailed you through the boards. Thanks!

alkagift
11-23-2004, 11:44 AM
How great are Robyn and Jennifer! I hope you guys can tag team those people at the auction! Go team go!!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

barbarhow
11-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Robyn-you are amazing! I got all teary reading your post. One more reason why these boards are so wonderful!

casey118
11-23-2004, 05:03 PM
I am so impressed by Robyn's offer! I am always amazed at the way people on this board are willing to extend themselves for others. Good luck getting back your clock.

barbarhow
11-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Renee. Yeah, it can really stink having a family member who is a jerk. He definately won't ruin my Thanksgiving- we are having a crowd-it will be nice not to have to stress over the obnoxious things he usually does.
Please keep us posted on the clock. I so hope that you get it back. My brother has a houseful of my Dad's things that my mother gave him when my Dad died. When my sister and I complained about it he showed up one day at my house with my father's old eyeglasses. He thought he was being generous. Sad-but I cherish them. He is such an a~~. Its always nice to know that there are others in a similar situation-although I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.