PDA

View Full Version : I think we may have Hand foot and mouth disease

s_gosney
11-22-2004, 07:00 PM
but I'm not sure. Kylee's been sick since Friday. She started running a fever, having cold symptoms (runny nose, cough), then she started throwing up. Then I started thinking she was teething because she didn't want to eat. Now she even started refusing nursing some times (which she NEVER does). For instance, last night she was having a hard time sleeping. She was asleep, but crying. I tried to latch her on like normal, but she just wouldn't latch on. She writhed around for a little bit and then ended up throwing up and then settled down enough to go to sleep. I had been thinking it was just a teething and a cold with her gagging on mucus causing the throwing up. Then, I see one of my mommy friends (whose dd is K's age and whose we visit frequently) who tells me that she found out she has HFM. She said that initially they thought she had strep, but turns out it is HFM. Her dd does not have it. Anyway, what do you all think? I searched and found some posts that sound a lot like what we're experiencing. The only advice I found was tylenol/motrin rotation and mixing maalox and benadryl. Anything else I should know? Should we go see the ped or call the nurse or just deal with it? One last thing, Kylee does not have any spots and I don't see anything unusual in her mouth, but something is definitely wrong. She has been SO fussy and clingy. Help! Thanks!

MartiesMom2B
11-22-2004, 07:10 PM
I would make an appointment with the ped just to rule anything else out. Martie had sores in the back of her throat that I couldn't see by looking in her mouth. She didn't throw up either, but I do believe that the ped. said that was possible. He also said that runny noses/coughs are not a sign of HFM. But stick to the tylenol/motrin rotation. We didn't do the benedryl/maalox mixture b/c it was just too difficult for Martie. Just snuggle and hug her. Martie screamed a lot and this is very difficult on the parents. Hang in there!

-Sonia