PDA

View Full Version : OT- Need to purchase some women's plus size clothing, specifically skirts and dresses...

MamaKath
11-22-2004, 11:33 PM
I need to purchase some skirts and dresses for myself. We don't have much locally and this will probably have to be through a catalog. I need to find things that are fairly long and modest (nothing real tight, or if a dress revealing). I am also on a strict budget with it all and need to make sure I am not spending a ton. I am not even sure where to look. Any great catalogs or websites to try. I have not found a lot at LE which is where I originally thought I might.

Thank you!!!!!

psophia17
11-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Check out www.alight.com - they are hit and miss, but alright prices. I've also had pretty decent luck with www.eddiebaueroutlet.com, and sometimes www.chadwicks.com (chadwicks of boston) has good stuff.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but if I think of anywhere else I'll post again :-)

JElaineB
11-23-2004, 12:07 AM
You might try Ulla Popken. Every skirt and dress I have from them is quite long on me and I'm 5'5". They are generously sized and high quality, but they can be a little on the expensive side. They have some good sales/clearance items sometimes though. If you sign up for their email list they send out sale/free shipping offers on a regular basis (code FREESHP1118 expires tonight). (Actually I just checked the link and a pop-up came up that said if you type in your email address to get their email offers they will send you an offer right away, so it might be worth seeing what it is).

http://www.ullapopken.com

You might also look at Silhouettes. Their prices might be little better and they do have lots of long dresses. You can get 15% off internet orders until 11:59 pm Nov 25, 2004 by typing SPRING05 into the source code box on the shipping info page of online orders. If you sign up for their email list they do regularly send out sale offers.

http://www.silhouettes.com

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

trumansmom
11-23-2004, 12:12 AM
I second www.eddiebaueroutlet.com. I find LOTS of great things there. I'm surprised you haven't found anything at LE, but their stuff tends to go in waves.

www.jjill.com has a pretty decent sale page at times, as does www.coldwatercreek.com.

And although I haven't bought anything from them, you might want to check out www.softsurroundingsoutlet.com. I've seen some pretty good deals there as well.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

LisaMom2Allie
11-23-2004, 12:34 AM
I can understand if you do not want to post a response to the question I am going to ask so feel free to email me-what size are you looking for? I ask because my mother just lost a lot of weight and has lots of clothes that I was going to ebay for her(but I had rather not fool with that) and I myself am plus sized with a pretty extensive wardrobe that covers 5 sizes and I really need to clean out my closets. Don't be scared off by the 5 different size ranges I do not have any 80's flourescent things these are just from the past 8 years-I just kept great suits and dresses and classic pieces out of these size ranges and I am definitely ready to part with some of them. I think I am open to emails if not I am: wood be good @charter.net and take out the spaces.
I have purchased from some of the stores that others mentioned but tend to find some of them pricy.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

Kimberly H
11-23-2004, 06:29 AM
Kath, I'm having really good luck with Citiknits. They're sold mainly on QVC but I buy them on eBay. They're a travel-friendly fabric. I held a wiggling 2 year old at church Sunday (and I mean *WIGGLING* and was able to hang the skirt and top up for wear again without ironing.

I'm packing it for our upcoming cruise too. You really can wad or fold it up with no wrinkles. :)

AngelaS
11-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Lane Bryant has great sales and coupons. And their clothes are made to fit those of us who curve more than Courtney Cox.... :D

jupster75
11-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Old Navy now has plus size clothing online. Only certain stores carry plus sizes. You can search their site to see if one near you has them.

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031103/3/4/1/+10/.png

JMarie
11-23-2004, 09:04 AM
I second Lane Bryant. One of my closest friends shops there and her nickname is 'Trendy' - their clothing is fashionable without being too revealing. She always looks so put together! Also, Old Navy is now carrying women's sizes, although I don't know up to what size. She has recently started shopping there as well, especially since Old Navy is less expensive. Good luck!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

jbowman
11-23-2004, 09:17 AM
My younger sister shops almost exclusively at Lane Bryant--she takes advantage of their sales and coupons. She saves a lot of money and looks great!

amp
11-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Lane Bryant! http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/homelb.asp

When I was looking for bras, I found so much more, even though I always hated to admit I needed Lane Bryant. Someone here told me to sign up on their website and they immediately will send you a coupon to your email that can be used online or in a store. And they will continue to send you coupons by mail and email.

And I was going to suggest Land's End, but it looks like you already thought of them.

Eddie Bauer has nice stuff in plus sizes, although I don't know how many skirts/dresses, etc. You can check them online too and just look at plus stuff.

MamaKath
11-23-2004, 08:21 PM
I am still checking out the links and looking through the suggestions, but I can tell I came to the right place to ask. :-)

tippy
11-23-2004, 10:12 PM
I also have to give kudos to Layne Bryant. They have great deals in their current catalogue. The nice thing about the store is that they also have regular sizes so the plus sizes are bigger versions of modern, popular, trendy and "normal" looking clothes. I say this because too many times when looking in the Misses section of department stores or in stores that specialize in plus sizes I feel as though I am shopping for my grandmother. Their prices aren't through the roof and you can get some really great deals with their coupons.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

jubilee
11-24-2004, 02:46 AM
I recently went into Lane Bryant, and althought I found many cute things... none were cheap! I was surprised at $40-$50 a blouse. I wish they were more affordable because I would have grabbed several things. My SIL is also plus sized and she really likes Catherines and Fashion Bug Plus, although I've not been in either recently so I can't vouch for them.

sidmand
11-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Another one--I've only seen a catalog--that seems pretty reasonable with some cute stuff is Newport News. http://shop.newport-news.com/

Good luck!

Debbie

pritchettzoo
11-24-2004, 01:46 PM
You have to catch them on a sale and with coupons. Sign up for their mailing list (in store and/or online) and you'll get great coupons.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)