PDA

View Full Version : Men's weekend in Baja Mexico. OK for 18 mos old DS?

Dcclerk
11-23-2004, 01:25 AM
My DH would like to take our 18 mos old DS to his brother's little house in Baja Mexico for the weekend. It is not a resort, but a little house on a cliff in the outskirts of a town about an hour south of Tijuana. It is about 5 blocks from the water and it would be about a six hour drive to get there. The last time we were there was about 10 years ago and neither one of us really remember what it is like (e.g. how close the grounds are to the cliffs, what the power situation is like, the safety of the neighboring area, etc.). He would be going with about 6 other men from his family who are all very responsible. I still think it is a horrible idea. Am I being unreasonable to not want him to take DS? Be honest. It would actually be good for our marriage if you could convince me its a fine idea.

starnight
11-23-2004, 05:31 AM
I would think that it would be a fine idea. I only say that because you said the men that are going are very responsible. Your DH needs to have quality time to bond with DS. Your DH would never put your DS in a Inhabitable environment I think if things where really bad your DH would come home.
Plus this would give you a little time to get pamperd spend time doing things that you havent been able to do in a while.

jesseandgrace
11-23-2004, 09:37 AM
OK, I was starting to say NO WAY don't let him go, but then I got to the point about how responsible they all are, and I think things will be fine. DD is 17 months, so I know the feeling about worrying about safety, but if he really wants to take him and have that responsibility, I think it sounds like you know he would do a good job watching ds. If it were my dh I would say no. I know dh would watch the kids, but I know there is not another responsible male in his family who would help, and I think that is just too much stress and responsibility for one person to watch a baby if there are worries about the cliffs and stuff. If your husband has help, and everyone is aware of your concerns, and you trust them, go for it. You might even have a chance to do some relaxing at home !

mom2kandj
11-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Kerry-

Will they be *partying* or just hanging out? FWIW, BIL likes to go down to Rosarito every so often and he has been known to take his DC(22 months) with him. If it is just a day trip(to eat lobster), they take her, but if the trip is overnight or longer, they leave her with MIL. They did go camping with the babe last year, and SIL pretty much had a lousy time because she was chased after the baby the whole time worried that she'd hurt herself and need medical care in Mexico! Though the guys are pretty responsible, I'd worry if Bubba would cramp their fun. What if they wanted to go fishing or to a bar for a beer? Would your DH have to stay at home while everyone else went out? I'd bring that up with DH and then if he really wanted to take him, I'd cringe, but let him go...

HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

jd11365
11-23-2004, 12:06 PM
No brainer...let him go! Enjoy a nice weekend to yourself...I'm sure DH will not let anything happen to his own son. I couldn't imagine my DH even considering taking Kayla away for the weekend...take advantage of the situation! :)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

aliceinwonderland
11-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Honestly?? ANd I'm thinking of MY DH here, becuase I do not know yours, LOL, I would absolutely let them go. My Dh is just as good (if not, I hate to admit) better with our son than I am, so if he said he could properly take care of DS while ther, I would let him. Erik's his baby as much as he's mine.

:)

steph2003
11-23-2004, 12:47 PM
I agree with Eri - my DH is great with our son if not better then me! They adore each other & I'd have no qualms about letting him take Griffin away...as long as certain conditions were met such as doing nothing that would impair his ability to parent (ie excessive drinking, etc.)