PDA

View Full Version : Feeling all warm & fuzzy re: interracial couples on tv ads...

quikeye
11-23-2004, 04:18 AM
I've noticed that 2 large ad campaigns on tv have prominently had interracial couples... Kaiser Permanente & McDonalds both had commercials where one or more of the partners was a person of color & the couple was "mixed..."

Seeing this (although embarrassed to admit we watch tv sometimes!) gives me this good feeling-- like a real feeling of recognition by marketers (though, who wants to feel validated by number crunchers?) that we're out here... I guess what I mean to say is, that as much as we believe our media does (should/attempts to) represent the audience it's intended for, I feel good that this slice of society has started to reflect that couples of different races are out there...

I've been thinking a lot about it, ever since I noticed the ads (for me, stuff like this really stands out, since it's not the norm on the tube but is common in my neighborhood & also within my home :)), and today I caught Barack Obama [::swoon::] on The View (we were waiting for the tubbies to start :)) and he was talking about his book and his interracial background... I just hope to be able to see representations like this become more prominent, and more the norm instead of me gaping @ the tv all like, "whoa! did you catch that??!"... For me I'd like K to not hardly notice it, whereas my mom was asked when walking with my sister & I where she "got us" (adopted us) from (mom's blonde, dad's Asian) and it was wild and weird to have mixed race kids...

Just thinking out loud :)

PS, my keyboard's been broken for days & I finally got onto dh's so I had to post something other than what my M$ accessibility keyboard would let me one click type out! :) Sorry to ramble, but I missed posting!

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-23-2004, 07:52 AM
I've noticed that too...and I agree!!!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

momma_boo
11-23-2004, 09:42 AM
I know I've seen a series of Verizon DSL commercials that featured an interracial couple and their mixed kids. The mom was Hispanic/Latino in features and the dad was very much caucasian. There was even one of them with their grandfather.

It makes me feel pretty good as well. I was just reading an article about how as recently as the 1960's, there were about 16 states that still outlawed interracial marriage.

It makes me glad to know that my DD won't seem so "different" because she's mixed. Although I suppose that also depends on where you live.

babymama
11-23-2004, 11:00 AM
In movies, too....I noticed this while watching "The Day After Tomorrow" and I think it was "Love Actually". What I liked was that there wasn't some big storyline about society and interracial couples and conflict, it was just there...just like any other couple. Yay for love! :)

ETA: This is the first time I've ever used a smilie icon. Just figured out how to do it yesterday.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

mama2galpals
11-23-2004, 11:43 AM
I JUST noticed this last night on a target commercial and thought it was great. :)

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03