PDA

View Full Version : What is something good to put a gift card/certificate in?

jubilee
11-23-2004, 04:45 AM
I'd rather avoid putting the gift cards or certificates in just a greeting card... so what creative ideas do you have? I have three gift cards to give- 1 to my parents, and 2 to nieces. For my parents I'd be willing to spend up to $10 on something good to put the card in. But for my teenage nieces, I'd like to go as cheap as possible on the "holder". Thanks in advance!

HGraceMom
11-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Yesterday our Target had cute striped wallet / wristlets in their new $1 bin at the front of the store - also cute mugs, etc. that might work...

rrosen
11-23-2004, 08:14 AM
I do them in a theme holder if possible. For example, a starbucks g/c in a mug, movie g/c in a popcorn box, music g/c in a cd case etc.

bluej
11-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Target's dollar section is great! Those little wristlets are cute! They also have cute popcorn containers like Rebecca mentioned. There are also some little pails that would be cute filled with some Christmas candies and a gift certificate. And square mesh box type things with an organza overlay and drawstring for a more elegant look. I'm actually going to have cute packaging this year without breaking the bank!

zen_bliss
11-23-2004, 09:23 AM
i put a gift card in a nice photo frame with pretty paper as a mat. the target dollar bin is a great idea though! the pink polka dot wristlet is too cute.

brubeck
11-23-2004, 09:56 AM
At Michael's they sell these nice little velvet gift bags (obviously re-useable) that you could use.

I have also 'wrapped' gift cards. I get a REALLY nice envelope (eg: foil lined, translucent red, something like that), throw in some glitter and after I seal it I tie a nice cloth bow around the envelope. It looks like a nice present and is just as much fun to unwrap!

KrisM
11-23-2004, 10:16 AM
At Organized Living, they had these little, translucent, plastic purses that they put their gift cards in. I think they were $3. Cute for neices, maybe.

We tend to try to do funny packaging - like an empty Pringles can, or taped to a bag of popcorn. Usually, they have no bearing on what the gift card is for. We just try to throw off the opener to make it more interesting.

houseof3boys
11-23-2004, 10:18 AM
You got great ideas already but depending on how young your nieces are the good ole box in a box in a box trick sent my nephews roaring with laughter as they kept unwrapping each one!

The theme idea is really cute too. I love the chinese take out boxes from the container store. I'm sure if you strolled around the dollar store, you would see some good stuff too! Although Target is rocking this year with cute stuff in the dollar section. :)

kransden
11-23-2004, 12:39 PM
For my nephews I bought baskets at the Dollar Store. I am getting them Blockbuster cards. I am putting candy, popcorn and a couple of sodas in the basket. So they have a movie night ready for them and their girlfriends.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

jamsmu
11-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I put coffee gc's (ie Starbucks) in a Starbucks (or whatever) cup with a lid--free!

jamsmu
11-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Oooh! I forgot about that one! Every year I give my dad movie GCs attached to a bag of microwave popcorn.

new_mommy25
11-23-2004, 08:37 PM
I like the "theme" idea that Rebecca mentioned. Last year my sister gave me a Borders gift card inside a new copy of Beezus and Ramona. (That series was our favorite when we were growing up). I thought it was so great.

Andrea S
11-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the idea. I went and got picture frames for the gift cards we got for Scott's sister and brother.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

jubilee
11-24-2004, 03:23 AM
I love the theme idea... but I can't figure out how to make that work. For my parents I'm probably getting a gift certificate for QVC (their favorite) and for one niece a mall card, and the other niece a gift card to a horse supply store. Target is a great suggestion, or maybe the Dollar Tree. I really appreciate the suggestions! I think my mom would like the glitter in a fancy envelope, but I don't want to have to vacuum that up!! :)

brubeck
11-24-2004, 10:26 AM
QVC - Attach it to a miniature plastic TV or remote?

Mall - put it in a mini shopping bag (like the kind they have for Barbies)

Horse - Small plastic horse and cart?

kransden
11-24-2004, 03:09 PM
I would get a jewelry box or a box for whatever they buy on QVC.

For the mall card I would get a gift box from one of the stores and add a bottle of bubbles or something to give it some weight.

A western horse nut would get a box tied with twine and a bandanna as the tissue and/or wrapping paper.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02