PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get these done anymore? bronzed baby shoes?

rrosen
11-23-2004, 09:26 AM
As I was tying my dd's shoes this morning I started to wonder if anyone still gets their baby's shoes bronzed? My mom still has her baby shoes and my MIL and FIL have theirs. Just curious if anyone has any opinions about this.

Silly I know!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/17534.jpg

papal
11-23-2004, 09:32 AM
WOW! That is just the greatest idea!! Love it.. we could even use it as an ornament on our festivus tree!

McQ
11-23-2004, 09:52 AM
I've been thinking of getting Declan's first shoes bronzed. I was going to ask my mother to bring mine up when she comes for Thanksgiving so I can see if I still like them. I remember as a kid I thought they were cool.

I have no idea where to get them done though.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

jd11365
11-23-2004, 10:25 AM
I actually like the idea of just leaving them as is on a shelf in her room. They are just too cute the way they are and as she gets older, it will be even cuter since they are baby shoes. I'm going to have them "freshened up" at the shoemaker with new laces and a fresh polish...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Marisa6826
11-23-2004, 10:52 AM
I've been toying with doing this for a long while. The only thing that's holding me back is that Sophie's first shoes are red and I just love the colour.

I know that my Mother has my first shoes. They were white hightop walkers with little bells on them. They were made into bronzed bookends.

-m

Marisa6826
11-23-2004, 10:53 AM
A-

Exposuresonline.com does it, and I've seen some "mom and pop" shoe stores offer the service.

-m

kensjen
11-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Those of you who may get them bronzed, are you talking about a first pair of crib shoes, or the first walkers??

The only reason I ask, is Jonah's first walking shoes are so big, they don't look like baby shoes, hehe. Whenever I see those shoes bronzed (like at Sears, and a couple of other places that do it around our house), they look so tiny and cute!

Marisa6826
11-23-2004, 11:02 AM
First walkers. Sophie's were a size 19 (Elefantens).

-m

jk3
11-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Too funny! I haven't thought about mine for years. My parents had my first pair bronzed with a circle picture frame in the middle. I will have to take a look at this next time I'm at their house. I think they keep it on a bookshelf in the living room. My DS's first shoes are blue + I like looking at them. I'll have to think about this since we don't have too many momentos.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

papal
11-23-2004, 11:24 AM
I was thinking crib shoes. Teeny Tiny little velvet white mary janes from gymbo.

rrosen
11-23-2004, 11:28 AM
I was thinking Elle's first walkers. But, she needs to grow out of them first! Her fit are pretty small so they are still pretty cute. We did not really have crib shoes, just Robeez.

ddmarsh
11-23-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm planning on doing mine here:

http://www.abcbronze.com/

It looks like they may actually be the place some of the catalogs go through. Dealing directly with them here is much less expensive.

Marisa6826
11-23-2004, 11:35 AM
That's the place I've seen advertised at the Mom and Pop stores.

-m

rrosen
11-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Great site! Looks like they are offering a discount until Dec 23rd!
Too bad Gabrielle is still wearing hers, LOL.

Some info from that vendor that may prevent it from being possible to use crib shoes.
" please note that although almost any type of shoe or sneaker can be bronzed, we cannot process satin, soft cloth or knitted shoes/booties or shoes with lace because they do not hold their shape during bronzing. "

g-mama
11-23-2004, 01:56 PM
I had my first ds' shoes bronzed through Exposures. I have to say, I was/am disappointed. His little shoes (used his first walkers, size 4, tan and dark brown suede saddle shoes) were SO cute. I used to look at them often and just melt. Whatever it is that they do in the bronzing process made them much, much larger. They look more like size 8's, which is just not as cute. I guess the bronze just adds a lot of extra size.

I seriously doubt I'll do my 2nd ds' shoes, even though part of me feels I should do for the second what I do for the first, but not if I don't like it, right?

I was so excited and thought it would be sweet momento and now, I wish I could have his real shoes back. :(

Oh, and my parents had this done for mine and my brother's shoes, but they still remained tiny and cute, so I guess it could be the company that did it, but I don't know.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03