PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Machine Help

himom
11-23-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm considering asking DH for this for Christmas. I can't sew a stitch, but I would like to make simple things for DS and perhaps eventually move on to things a little more complicated. So I'm basically looking for an inexpensive, easy to use, long lasting machine. We're on a really tight budget, so I can't really go for anything high end.

All you sewing experts out there....what do you think of this one?

http://tinyurl.com/6bdrt

TIA!

Jodi

jec2
11-23-2004, 06:48 PM
I am far from a sewing expert but have been on the front lines the last 2 days working on a project. Today when I was at the quilting store working on my project one of the women who works there and I were talking about sewing machines and how I wanted to take a class etc. She recommended that I get a really really good USED one. She said that you can get really great used ones (like Bernina or whatever all the good brands are) for a good price at Sewing Machine stores.

Among some of the things she said to look for are...oh geez, now I don't recall all the terms so please forgive me but if I recall correctly she said,

a foot driver and walking foot
drop-in bobbin

there were a few other things she listed but I can't recall what they were.

MariFP
11-23-2004, 11:15 PM
I am a big Singer fan. It is the only brand we have had in my family and I am getting a new one for my birthday next week. I just don't know which model, it is a surprise. But I would do some research... You can find better machines for a better price than this Brother.

californiagirl
11-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Up to a certain point, sewing machines are a real "you get what you pay for"
deal. My Viking seemed awfully expensive -- 20 years ago. It's still going strong,
although I just added a serger. I second the other poster's suggestion; if you can't afford a good new machine, go used, from a local dealer who you have some reason to trust.

egoldber
11-23-2004, 11:28 PM
I highly second the suggestion of getting a used high end machine over a cheap new machine. I would sew with a 30 or 40 year old Bernina before I would buy a new Brother or Singer. (Note, OLD Singers are fantastic machines and would be a great idea. New Singers are generally very poorly made.)

Some better brands are: Bernina, Viking, Elna, Pfaff, New Home, Babylock and older Singers (say, pre-1980). High end Brothers can be quite nice also. My main machine is a 15 year old Bernina. I also have a 20 year old Elna that my SIL is currently sewing with and she loves it. My other SIL has a 30 year old Elna that she loves.

There are two basic styles of sewing machines, European style ones (Bernina, Pfaff, Viking, Elna) and Asian style ones (Brother, New Home, Singer, Babylock). The European style machines used to be manufactured in Europe, but almost all new ones are manufactured in Asia. But there is a very definite difference in "feel" between the 2 two styles. You may prefer one or the other, and only you can tell that.

Some things that will make your life easier are:

adjustable sewing speed (invaluable to a new sewer)
needle up/down (ability to have the needle stop up or down)

If you are looking at older machines make sure it has:
drop in bobbin
free arm

A walking foot is nice, but really only necessary if you are doing quilting or plan to sew with very slippery fabrics.

Bethann31
11-24-2004, 08:59 AM
I second all your suggestions on what is necessary and what is not.

I have a ton of machines, including Singers (antiques and an XL-1000), Kenmores (but not the lower end models,the one I have was made by Janome), Janomes (New Home), Viking (Designer 1, my 40th birthday present last year), a wonderful older Elna Supermatic and a Bernina serger among them. I have owned lower end Brothers and Whites, but it has been several years, so I can't vouch for them now, although I loved mine 10 - 15 years ago.

Singers are still quite good machines, if you get the XL series or the Quantum series. Personally I think the Bernina's are WAY overpriced most of the time, and so proprietary that you often end up spending lots more money than you need to on extras. I really wish I had discovered that BEFORE I bought their top of the line serger. I love my Viking, but it really isn't a beginner's machine and my wonderful DH spent more on it than his truck.

I would definitely try to buy from a dealer if you can, because it is so nice to have the support from them if you need help or lessons, but if you don't live near a dealer, don't worry. Most of what I have learned I have taught myself.

Beth

firsttimemommy
11-24-2004, 09:38 AM
I too am a beginner, and got my sewing machine about 6 months ago - when I was shopping and talking to many dealers and experienced seamstresses, the consensus seemed to be that you can't go wrong with a Janome. I believe Janome makes many of the others anyway! I got a low end Janome (i think model #419S or something like that) for about $200 with free cleaning once a year and a free lesson on how to use the machine (of course I've never redeemed this - haven't had a break long enough during the week from the kiddoes!!!) from a small local dealer.

I agree if you can find a small local dealer with a sale, go that way!

Ronda
Proud Mommy to Jenna Leigh 1/03 and Jake 4/04

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you" ~ Winnie the Pooh

KrisM
11-24-2004, 11:57 AM
I can't give advice on the machine, since I'm a beginner sewer myself. I got a machine for Christmas 1998. It sat, unused, until January 2000 when I finally signed up for some classes! There were about 10 of us in the class and probably 5 hadn't used their machines either. It was a great class. I would recommend looking into a class or having someone teach you so that you actually use the machine. It really helped take the mysteries out of reading a pattern, selecting fabrics, cutting the pieces, etc.

Good luck.