PDA

View Full Version : Happiest Baby on the Block - book, dvd, or both?

new_mommy25
11-23-2004, 08:28 PM
I've never read it only because my DS was too old by the time I heard about it. I do want to get it for my SIL since I've heard such positive things from these boards. What should I buy? Book, DVD, or both? Any benefits from one to the other. I plan on giving this for a baby shower so in theory she should be able to read the book before her DS is born. Of course, the first few months are CRAZY so perhaps a video would be easier.

amazz
11-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Angie--
I got the book and if she has time to read before hand, it is a really easy and fast read (compared to some other parenting books I read). I don't have any experience with the dvd, but if it were me, I would just want the book!

HTH!!
Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

sbjf
11-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Angie, I have the book, but if I were to do it again I would choose the dvd. The book is great and helped me enormously, but one day I saw him (Karp, the author) on tv and he was demonstrating his techniques and it really helped me much more than just reading about it. As a matter of fact another mom I know did say that she just rented a video of the book from the library and that was good for her.

Either way it's a great gift and will def. help the mom to be!

gour0
11-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Go for the DVD! It is so amazing to watch. You are sold on how well it works within the first 30 seconds. The book is easy, but the video gives you all the important info without any work. Also, it is great for getting dads and in-laws onboard.

new_mommy25
11-24-2004, 03:41 AM
Thanks everyone! Has anyone watched the Happiest Toddler on The Block> I think that I may need something like that for my almost 15 month old.

usfrph
11-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Get the DVD! I borrowed the book from the library when I was pregnant and then the DVD a few weeks after my DS was born. I learned that I was doing the 'ssshing' incorrectly! :)

The book is easy to read but if your SIL learns better by seeing (like me) then the DVD is a must.

Dcclerk
11-24-2004, 12:50 PM
DVD! I read the book and watched the video and I couldn't believe the difference SEEING how it was done made. I honestly do not think the book is necessary if you have the DVD. It was also really helpful for DH who was not going to read a book. He did sit down and watch the video with me and it helped tremendously. In fact, I'm thinking we need a refresher for #2 :)

jamsmu
11-24-2004, 02:21 PM
No, but I loved the Baby book, so I plan to get the Toddler one, too. Maybe a holiday present?