PDA

View Full Version : Hello my name is Marisa and I hate Elmo

Marisa6826
11-24-2004, 09:40 AM
I know that I must be a genetic freak for admitting this, but they say admission is the first step to recovery.

I can't stand that damn red thing. The VOICE, the WHINING!

And I think his friend Mr. Noodle is a closet pedophile. Ick.

AAAAAAAH!!!!

Please tell me I'm not the only one!!!!

-m

bluej
11-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Ha ha ha! I don't care for Elmo either. We haven't started watching Sesame Street here yet, but even when we do, we won't be buying the stuff! I have survived two kids watching the show without them having any of the toys that go with it and I won't be caving now!

jk3
11-24-2004, 10:12 AM
I don't hate Elmo but I'm with you about Mr. Noodle. I don't like clowns or mimes but he is extra creepy.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

brubeck
11-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Actually Mr. Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle died of AIDS.

mudder17
11-24-2004, 10:37 AM
I think I liked Elmo until that Tickle Me Elmo doll came out. And then I started noticing just how whiny his voice was--Aughhhhh! But I feel the same way about Barney--Ugh! Actually, I think Elmo's voice annoys me and Barney just creeped me out. I hope I'm not the only one.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

Marisa6826
11-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Barney's banned here all together.

-m

mudder17
11-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Hee, hee, I'm doing that as well. DH also can't stand Barney, and he hated Elmo before I did. Whiney sounds and insipid dialogue drive him nuts! And I really don't think Kaya will be missing anything if we ban most of the TV shows (if not all of them).

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

s_gosney
11-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Me too! Kylee got this FP touch screen thing for her birthday that has Elmo teaching the alphabet and it drives me nuts! After my uncle gives me an evil look and tells me it doesn't have a mute button, I told my him I was going to TP his house! The voice is what drives me nuts. And to top it all off, he has some sort of speech impediment (so it seems) where I can hardly tell what he's saying. How's a kid supposed to learn their alphabet and letter sounds when elmo can't be understood?
end of rant.
I do not know this Mr. Noodle you speak of. I am determined to keep Kylee away from licensed character toys. But, as we all know, those things can change.

McQ
11-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Well you'd be in trouble in this house. Elmo is Declan's new favorite thing. Elmo, Elmo, Elmooooo.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

steph2003
11-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm standing with you! I'm going to try my hardest for NO Elmo in our house or Barney either (we'll see how long it is until I break down) I think I'll add the Wiggles & Oobie to that list as well.

I always wonder who creates this stuff & what are they on when they do it???

psophia17
11-24-2004, 11:52 AM
I couldn't stand Elmo when I was a kid watching Sesame Street - at the time, he was just a bit player. How things have changed...

I used to hate Barney, too, but I've watched it a few times since DS was born, and I'm growing on it - the kids are weird, but the "plot" is good...the best part is that I don't think most kids can duplicate Barney's voice, which is my least favorite part about him.

My beef at the moment is why do kids characters (Tuffie the Tow Truck and other characters on Jay Jay the Jet Plane, the Baby Bear on Sesame Street) talk wrong? "Twuck"? "Twy"? Don't even get me started on Teletubbies...

kthomp
11-24-2004, 12:05 PM
I used to think Elmo was adorable, but that was before DD was born. Now, not so much.

His "Elmo's World" segment of Seasame Street drives me BONKERS. Worst part of the show, hands down. It is the same exact thing every day, they just talk about a new subject. But the most annoying part is when he sings the "______ song" where he plays jingles bells on the piano and subsitutes in the subject of that day's "world". For example "Bells bells bells, bells bells bells, bells bells bells bells bells." I HATE THAT! Get a new tune already!

We have been lucky enough to avoid the singing dancing elmo stuffed animals, but I have a feeling we won't be so lucky for long. I'm sure it will be a tragic day here when Elmo falls off the balcony, should he ever arrive.

ETA: I almost forgot about Mr. Noddle. Hate him. You've got to be pretty dumb if you need Elmo to tell you how to do something. For the longest time I thought his name was Mr. Newdo because of how Elmo pronunces it. Yeah, that whole segment of Sesame Street can go away. I love the rest of the show.

cinrein
11-24-2004, 12:06 PM
I used to hate Elmo too, but now he gives me 15 minutes of peace so I can shower and even throw some makeup on. There isn't much that occupies Anna for 15 minutes, so I bow down to Elmo! :)

Mr. Noodle does creep me out, but I think he is gone. My brother had a newer Elmo's World DVD with Ms. Noodle. She was a younger gal, and even though I never thought Mr. Noodle was all that, he was a lot better than the new Ms. Noodle. She wasn't creepy though, just not very good.

My faves are Grover and Cookie Monster. Grover just cracks me up and I love how Cookie is so food obsessed.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-24-2004, 01:06 PM
I remember saying (or atleast thinking) that I didn't like him befor eI really even watched it and it was Beth who said how she liked him...

When my son comes up to me and want to hold Steve's and my hands and make a circle and sing "I love you you love me" and then he does the dramatic hug with his eyes squinted and all my heart melts like it never has...

Tristan makes up words and he sings

"A kee A kee..." for "I love you and you love me"
I find the messages sweet and nice, he doesn't bother me in the least and I thank him actually for giving us that special song and Tristan's reaction to it.

But Elmo -he bugs me
BUT MR Noodle CREEPS ME OUT!!!!!!!!!! I've said that before, something is not right about that charachter on a child's show, I think it is inapproproiate to have a man hiding outside of a window...it actually disgust me!!!!!!!
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

bluej
11-24-2004, 01:34 PM
This is how long it's been since I've watched Sesame Street: I've been sitting here wondering who the heck this Mr. Noodle guy is, then I read you thought it was Mr. Newdo and it all clicked! I swear in my head I can hear Elmo plain as day saying Mr. Newdo and now you tell me he's suppose to be saying Mr. Noodle? I'm going to have to watch now! Really it should be more incentive for me not to watch but I have to see if I can hear him say Noodle at all!

jd11365
11-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Jen...I thought the same thing...Mr. Newdo!!!

As for Elmo, we have Hokey Pokey, Chicken Dance, I Love You, and one we made at Build A Bear (Which is by far the best because it's quiet!). I have no room to speak then, especially since Kayla's first birthday theme was Elmo...with a live singing Elmo to boot...yikes!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

missym
11-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Isn't it amazing what we'll put up with for a few minutes of mommy time? We were a no-Barney house until I discovered that 1) I can actually curl my hair and get dressed in peace while DD watches it and 2) the content of the show is pretty good. It's slow-paced, not frantic like a lot of shows. DD loves to dance along with the characters.

It's so sad, if DD is hanging on my leg while I'm trying to get ready, I just say "You're missing Barney" and she goes running into the living room! Now I sing the songs to DH to drive him crazy.

Elmo's voice is pretty whiney, but we don't watch much of it so I can tolerate it once in a while.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

mudder17
11-24-2004, 02:33 PM
I have seen some Barney episodes, and I have to admit, I do like the messages that he puts in them. But for some reason, the music bugs me...although not as bad as for DH--it drives him crazy. Maybe it's because he's a classical pianist? He's always picky about music, even music that I like. So if it drives him crazy, I guess it's not a good thing to play over and over in our house. :)

I haven't seen Mr. Noodle, but a man hanging outside a window would probably creep me out. What're the characters that are hands with goggly eyes on top of them? Those really give me the heebie jeebies.

Eileen

Marisa6826
11-24-2004, 03:01 PM
That would be Oobi and he's just gross creepy.

-m

Marisa6826
11-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Yeah, the whole Elmo's World is enough to make me start me off to a really bad day.

That stupid computer 'Elmo's got mail! Elmo's got mail! Elmo's got mail!"

OK - I get it! Now SHUT UP (that's the nice version of what I usually say ;) ).

-m

C99
11-24-2004, 03:19 PM
I like the messages behind Barney, but I canNOT for the life of me put him on the TV. I just can't. I think it was because he was a new PBS character when my sister was toddler/preschool age (she's 15 now) and we had Barney everything. Barney sheets, Barney dolls, Barney clothes, Barney birthday parties, Barney fruit snacks, Barney art kits -- I am all Barneyed out.

I try to avoid just about every marketing/branded kids' character. We do watch the Wiggles, but Nate isn't into the Wiggles "stuff." When he's old enough to watch Mr. Rogers, I will put that on.

ellies mom
11-24-2004, 03:41 PM
I liked Sesame Street and Elmo when it was all the random skit sort of stuff. This new format drives me nuts, especially 20 minutes of that insipid Elmo's World. For some reason though DD loves Elmo, from the first time she saw him. The other muppets are cool, but she gets all excited about Elmo. I did find an Elmo doll that doesn't make noise so I bought it for her. She seems to really like it.

Barney is out, and thanks to all you ladies Obie and Boobah is also completely out. Creepy, creepy, creepy.

amp
11-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Okay, I'm dating myself here, but Elmo wasn't around when I was a kid wataching SS. For years now I've thought he was super cute, and I love him in the skit type stuff the PP mentioned, but I must admit, Elmo's World is starting to wear a little thin on me. And I have to agree that Mr. "Newdo" (took me quite awhile to figure this one out....noodle, newdo, nuno?) is a bit on the bizarre side and has never really set well with me or with DH.

Bethann31
11-24-2004, 04:29 PM
I must be so completely weird. I like Elmo and the whole Sesame Street Gang, and I don't mind Barney a bit.

Mr. Noodle, on the other hand, is just creepy. I loved the actor, Michael Jeter, but that character is just wrong.

The one I can't stand is The Big Comfy Couch. URGH!!!!

Beth

amp
11-24-2004, 04:41 PM
>The one I can't stand is The Big Comfy Couch. URGH!!!!

Ditto that!

Marisa6826
11-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah, that one is banned BIG TIME from this house. I've started switching over to Noggin when that one comes on. We watch either Miffy or Maisy (can't remember which one it is). Sophie doesn't like it as much, but it's growing on her.

Can't say I love Miffy (another weird show) but it's nowhere NEAR as bad as Big Comfy Couch.

-m

papal
11-24-2004, 06:24 PM
No TV here so No Elmo, Barney or other multi-coloured creatures. LOL. But the few times Leela did see Elmo, it was like a spell was cast on her... she was drawn to the power of Elmo... very creepy. I wouldn't mind her watching Mr. Rogers though...now THAT is a brilliant show! :)

AvasMama
11-24-2004, 06:38 PM
DH will not allow anything Elmo in our house -- no Sesame Street, no Chicken Dance Elmo, no books, NOTHING. Barney is also banned. Can't say that I mind much!!

Robyn & Ava

memedee
11-24-2004, 06:55 PM
love elmo.love his voice
Do not care for mimes so Mr Noodle is not a fave.
Barney is a little insipid.

aguinn
11-24-2004, 08:17 PM
His name was Michael Jeter and he was a brilliant actor. He played the jailed Frenchman in "The Green Mile" and several other memorable parts (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005052/).

It's sad that he died.

;)amy
proud momma to DS

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Weaned @ 13 months

mudder17
11-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks, now I know what to avoid. I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds him creepy!

Eileen

pritchettzoo
11-24-2004, 08:58 PM
You're a nut! I actually like Mr. Noodle--I think he's funny, so perchance *I* am the freak. ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

starrynight
11-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Mr. Noodle totally gives me the creeps ick. No idea why but he just does, the previous mr. noodle did too but not as much.

Elmo I can tolerate in small doses but I almost lost my ever loving mind the year Alex was 2.5 and he was obsessed with Elmo, all he would watch was Elmo. And of course he had a favorite tape too-- it had to be Elmo Save's Christmas, anyone buying tapes do not get that one! If I ever hear "it's christmas again" (the song in the movie) I will have a fit.

lmintzer
11-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Yeah, Mr. Noodle totally creeps me out. Elmo's okay, though. He's just a "toddler monster" so he annoys me at times (just like my toddler does, lol).