PDA

View Full Version : Upside Down Turkey?

mekiemom
11-24-2004, 12:15 PM
I was watching Ellen this morning and Tom Hanks said that is how they do their turkey for the holiday. I never heard of this before, do any of you cook it this way? If so, is it worth it?
Thanks a bunch, for yet another thanksgiving question! You'd think this was my first. Actually, it is my first completely made from scratch.
Jenn
our sweet girl 3/02

redhookmom
11-24-2004, 12:21 PM
I CANNOT cook... I once cooked a turkey upside down on mistake. My dh (who is a chef) told me aferwards that some people do it that way on purpose so that it comes out juicier.

steph2003
11-24-2004, 12:39 PM
I have! I heard about that one year on the radio before T-day & thought why not give it a try. The reasoning is that gravity pulls on the juices down to absorb around the turkey breasts making them super moist/juicy. I can't say if it made it juicier or not but it certainly didn't hurt the final outcome either.

lukkykatt
11-24-2004, 01:24 PM
I am cooking dinner this year and completely clueless... I asked my 89 yo grandmother and who is the most fabulous cook and that is what she told me to do.

She said to just rub a little olive oil on and a little salt and pepper and put it in the pan upside down.

brubeck
11-24-2004, 01:49 PM
I use my Mom's old trick: bacon! Just lay some raw strips on the breast and legs and as it cooks the fat will drip into the meat. When it gets too crispy, pull it out to snack on and add some more!

Thick cut bacon works best.

redhookmom
11-24-2004, 01:51 PM
That sounds quite yummy!

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-24-2004, 02:26 PM
He said buy a turkey bag...take out the "guts" and put the dressing in the cavity of the bird.
Cook per bag instructions...

He says "the meat falls off of the bone"..."not dry"...
I have never had it but he swears by it...

I am a fry the bird kinda gal!!!!
I LOVE fried turkey!!!
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

mudder17
11-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Oooh, I love fried turkey. We had some friends who had giant fry daddies and fried their turkey that way--delicious!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

psophia17
11-24-2004, 02:54 PM
The problem with the turkey bags (and the other bags you can get), IME, is that the meat isn't roasted, it's steamed/braised and although it's very moist, you don't get quite the same flavor, and the skin doesn't crisp up.

I've always just used salt, pepper, and butter on the outside of the bird, and then I try and get some rosemary under the skin. Since I don't actually like turkey, I still don't think it's tasty this way, but everyone who's been over for T-day dinner has liked it...

Marisa6826
11-24-2004, 02:57 PM
I have done it this way, and while it does produce a really juicy breast, it's a colossal PITA.

I've done the trick with the icecubes in the carcass and it seems to work equally as well.

The big trick, honestly, to a juicy turkey is to either brine it first or buy a Kosher one that's already been brined.

-m

mamahill
11-24-2004, 03:47 PM
I'm mixing up my cajun marinade right now to inject into my turkey, and the bird goes into the oil at 3pm tomorrow. LOVE fried turkey.

But my mom is also baking a turkey (gotta do the stuffing that way) and she uses a bag, as have I when I bake a turkey. I think it's divine that way. I'll have to try the italian dressing - how much? As much as possible? :) ).

Neve - I know you're a busy lady right about now, but I emailed you back. I'm going through Miss A's clothes today, and found a few blankets she never used. Let me know, if you get a chance, but otherwise I COMPLETELY understand that you have other things on your "to do" list. xoxo.

mom2kandj
11-24-2004, 05:06 PM
mmmmm... brined turkey! :P

DH has already done TWO test turkey in anticipation of tomorrow's feast. Let's just say that Cuisine at Home's Molasses Brined Turkey was too sweet and Alton Brown's Brined and Smoked Turkey was excellent. Now, DH just has to decide if he is going to depart from our tried and true(Bon Appetit's Brined Turkey from about 5 years ago) or go with the upstart Alton Brown which calls for cooking the bird on the grill outside! Anyhoo, here's an early toast to a very happy and turkey filled Thanksgiving!

Rose
mom 2
Katie & Jack

Marisa6826
11-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Alton is my MAN! LOVE his show!!!

Seriously, next time, try the Empire Kosher turkeys. According to Cooks Illustrated, they're just as good as brining them yourself.

-m

brubeck
11-24-2004, 08:15 PM
It is super yummy (as long as you like bacon, LOL) and SUPER moist. Literally when DH carves the bird it practically seeps. It works on any kind of fowl.

mekiemom
11-24-2004, 08:23 PM
I just finished cooking up the Alton Brown Brine, just letting it cool down now. I love him too! I have a few of his stuff Tivo'd..We want to try his home madesmoking method with an upside down flower pot and a hot plate. I'm also tivoing his "remains of the bird" show tonight to get some leftovers ideas. I will have a ton of those since the smallest fresh bird I could find was 18lbs and we are only having 4 adults.
Jenn

mom2kandj
11-25-2004, 02:13 AM
AHHHHHHHHH! DH got it in his brain that he couldn't decide on one recipe so I had to find him a whole turkey breast so that we could have both for the feast! When he went to pick it up, he kinda sorta picked up another whole turkey! WTH!

Now, we have two whole turkeys(15 & 17lbs) plus a 6lb turkey breast in buckets of brine in the fridge! How many people are we feeding? FIVE adults and three kids under age 4! What is he thinking??? I'm sure I'll have stories to tell tomorrow!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

mekiemom
11-25-2004, 09:31 AM
OH MY! You'll have leftovers until new years! Turkey pot pie, turkey hash, turkey croquettes, turkey salad, turkey soup......

Jenn
our sweet girl 3/02