PDA

View Full Version : Who cooks the turkey in your house?

jbowman
11-24-2004, 01:44 PM
My dad always cooked the turkey when I was growing up. Now DH cooks our turkey for Thanksgiving dinner (with plenty of supervision, LOL! Sometimes I'll sneak a foil "tent" on the turkey if I think it is getting too brown!). Who cooks the turkey at your house?

brubeck
11-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Well it's a chicken but I do it all by my lonesome. I enjoy it because I rarely get the time anymore to make a REALLY nice meal and the holidays are a great excuse for DH to watch the kids so I can have some kitchen fun!

I'm actually starting early this year. Tomorrow's dessert is chocolate creme brulee and I got started on it this morning.

deborah_r
11-24-2004, 01:51 PM
DH always cooks the turkey. This year we just got a turkey breast, as the part we hate most is carving everything off the turkey!

We used to be lazy and stall all day before finally doing that, then I heard you should get all the meat off the carcass within an hour or two of when it is done, as some kind of food poisoning can somehow result from leaving it on the bone. Did anyone else here about that?

psophia17
11-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Long story short:

I HATE turkey, but I like tradition, so when I was 13 I started cooking the turkey at my parents house. I did that until last year, when we had roast beef because I was 9 mos pg and couldn't deal with it. Now, we live with the ILs, and FIL cooks the turkey. DH spent Canadian Thanksgiving (first weekend of October) talking about how I talked like I had cooked a turkey for him, but never had...I cooked three in the time we have been married but he's forgotten. When we get our own place, if we're doing the family dinner at our house, HE's cooking the turkey. Hey, if I don't even like it and he's going to complain and forget about it, well, he's on his own.

Marisa6826
11-24-2004, 02:54 PM
When we cook, it's me. This year, obviously, I'm not having Thanksgiving.

But Jonathan is pretty damn clueless in the kitchen. Put it this way, I've shown him on THREE different occasions how to scramble an egg for Sophie. He's still afraid to try it on his own.

His culinary abilities are limited to boiling water for pasta, making egg salad, toast and warming things in the oven.

-m

mudder17
11-24-2004, 03:02 PM
I chose "other" because we haven't cooked a turkey in our house yet! However, my guess is that if we ever do so, either I will do it, or we'll do it together. :)

I think when we were at MIL's house one year and we had to make turkey, we sort of made it a group effort, although it was her instructions.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

tippy
11-26-2004, 12:00 AM
Wow Marisa,

Egg salad!!! That would be like dh making coc-a-vin with a side of sautéed sweetbreads followed by a fluffy chocolate soufflé. Seriously, he is soooo useless in the kitchen. And I hear you on the egg frying thing. I actually left him with one of those Gerber graduate pasta stuffers in a bag. You just pull the tab on the top, heat for 30 seconds in the microwave and then drain. When I got home he had given AJ a jar of food because the "other thing" was too confusing. I feel your pain!

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

PS... Haven't talked to you in a while. How are you feeling?