PDA

View Full Version : Turkey breast recipes?

amp
11-24-2004, 02:57 PM
I know it's a little late in the game, but what the heck...

We are having Thanksgiving with just the 3 of us, so I bought a small Butterball turkey breast roast (except it's not cooked yet, so I don't know why they call it that). I've never really cooked any turkey myself, so I have no idea how to keep it moist, give it flavor, etc. Any suggestions or recipes? We love spices and garlic in this house, but aren't as into the citrusy glazes and stuff. If I don't get anything interesting, I will just improvise with some fav spices and hope for the best.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Laurelsmom2002
11-24-2004, 03:14 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29088,00.html

This is real simmilar to one I make, and would have made this year, but my mom volunteered for this year

psophia17
11-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Put carrots, potatoes, and onion in the bottom of the pan you roast the breast in to hold it up - slather with butter, salt, pepper, and whatever other herbs you like. Cook to 170 degrees (or a trifle lower, to adjust for carryover cooking time) and cover with foil. Let sit for 10 minutes before you slice. I think the rule for poultrey is 20 minutes per pound, so a breast shouldn't take too long to roast.

This is what I do with whole chicken - I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for a turkey breast.

amp
11-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Yum!

Do you need to lift it up off the pan? See I learned something I didn't know...

DebbieJ
11-24-2004, 04:36 PM
My fav way to cook a turkey breast is in the crockpot!

Put the turkey breast in, sprinkle with dry onion soup mix, then pour a can of cranberry sauce over the top. Cook on high for two hours, then low for 5-6 hours...of course if you leave it on high, it will cook faster. Always comes out moist and flavorful.

Good luck!

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

psophia17
11-24-2004, 07:38 PM
I like the veggies cooked underneath - they catch the drippings - and then it's also easier to get the chicken out of the pan because it won't be stuck to the bottom.

The one time I dealt with just the turkey breast, it had a pointy bottom that I thought looked likely to fall over, which is why I said to use the veggies to hold it up - it can touch the bottom, but it's easier if it doesn't...

jbowman
11-24-2004, 08:55 PM
Petra,

That's how DH cooks our turkey (whole bird) and it very yummy!

August Mom
11-24-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm a big fan of the Reynolds cooking bags. They keep a turkey moist. We are having turkey breast tomorrow as well. I put a tablespoon or so of flour in the bag and shake it. Then I add pieces of celery, carrot, onion and bay leaf. I wash the turkey breast and rub it with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Any favorite herb would work, I think. Then I bake it at 350 according to the chart in the box the bags came in. It's usually done in a couple of hours. The bag also contains the broth that you can then use to make gravy.

Happy Thanksgiving!