PDA

View Full Version : Would you find this a bit odd?

deborah_r
11-24-2004, 05:42 PM
I was at the playground and I looked over by the benches, about 5 feet from the play area, and a woman (not sure if nanny or mommy) pulled down the little girl's pants (I would guess she was 2-2.5 years old) took off her siaper, left her standing there in the breeze while she slowly went through her bag for daiper, wipe, etc. (for like 1-2 minutes) and then finally put her diaper and pants back on. So a standing diaper change in full view of everyone (and we do have a couple of creepy homeless guys who were not that far away, they pretty much live there during the day), and her shirt wasn't hanging down and covering anything...

Seemed odd to me. I mean, I know it's a child and no one should be looking at them and thinking inappropriate thoughts, but those people ar eout there, and I personally would not want to be giving them a free show with my child. And I don't want my child to be ashamed of his body, but I would think around 2 years old you could start teaching them that there is a time and a place and try to teach them about modesty and privacy.

Maybe I just had my "puritan" mode going today, I don't know, it just struck me as a bit inappropriate. Flame away if I deserve it!

JElaineB
11-24-2004, 05:48 PM
I don't think it is a big deal to change a 2 year old's diaper or pull-up in public, but do it quickly! And maybe laying down on a bench rather than standing up in full view. There is no need for a little girl to be standing there half naked for 2 minutes waiting for a new diaper. The mom or nanny needs to plan ahead a little better I think! I mean if you are going to change the kid, get the diaper and wipes out before you take off the old one.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

mom2kandj
11-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Deb -

What about this one!

I was at the mall last week and I was letting the kids run around the playground when over my shoulder I noticed a mom with her 2-3yo standing on a trashcan. She pulled down his pants and had him pee into the trashcan. No, there isn't a restroom really closeby, but there is a kids *emergency* potty tucked discreetly into the corner. There is even a small sign about the potty and directing people in how to clean up. I stayed quiet, but in hindsight should have pointed out the emergency potty. Oh, well....

As to your situation about letting it all hang out, we say that other people don't need to see our bodies, and that is something that is private. OTHOH, I have no problem with keeping a potty in my car and having DD use it in a parking lot. I just ask her to be quick!

HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

deborah_r
11-24-2004, 06:32 PM
I think that's what got me, and why I kept looking back to see if she was *finally* done! When I first saw, I thought, oh she'll do it real quick. But, no! I should mention it is not cold here (I just imagined people thinking this poor girl was standing naked in the snow, LOL) I still have to change Kai outside sometimes, but I usually wander off where there are not a lot of people so he can have some privacy. Or I change him in the wagon part of our Jetta Wagon, which gives him a fair amount of privacy.

And Rose...the trash can!!! OMG! Can you believe some people????

Momof3Labs
11-24-2004, 06:37 PM
At least she directed him into a garbage can! I once ran into a preschooler in the parking lot dashing madly around looking for a CAR TIRE to pee on! His mom was standing in the aisle of the parking lot griping at him to hurry up! YUCK! Just because boys/men have the equipment that doesn't require sitting down to pee doesn't mean that they can use it just anywhere!!

And Deborah, that is pretty strange... I try to keep Colin's changes more discreet - in the back of the van/wagon, on a secluded area of grass, whatever.

Marisa6826
11-24-2004, 07:32 PM
The one thing that I am REALLY going to miss most about my Peg single stroller is that it completely reclines for dipe changes. Not going to be as easy with the Kiwi :(.

There have been many situations where either Sophie's dipe has leaked, or the changing area has been in use or so gross I won't use it - not to mention times where there isn't even an option of a changing table. I just did it the other day at the mall in the Ladies Lounge. Whoever came to the conclusion that it's nice to change a baby on a marble countertop is just stoned (no pun intended :P ).

I just recline it all the way and change Sophie one, two, three. Of course, I have the dipe all ready and if Jonathan's with me, I just hand off the wet dipe to him to take care of so I can change her even faster.

I've also changed her in the backseat of the Camry (or on the hood since I can't bend so easily anymore), although it's not convenient at all. One more reason for that Volvo CX90!! ;)

-m

ellies mom
11-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Not sure it would be something I would do, but to play the devil's advocate.. Could be the child had a bit of a rash and needed a bit of "air time".

JFC
11-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Okay, 16 months into mommyhood and I never thought to recline the stoller for diaper changes - that is BRILLANT!! I'm sure I'll get to try it out soon enough. Thanks for the 'ah-ha' moment! ;-)

Judegirl
11-24-2004, 11:17 PM
I have to disagree with you on this one, Deb. I hope to be able to teach dd not to think about such things until much later. :) At 2, IMO, she should be comfy with everything hangin' in the breeze... so long as the breeze isn't too chilly. *wink*

Jude

papal
11-24-2004, 11:20 PM
Maybe I'm weird.. I would not have thought it was odd at all.

jadamom
11-25-2004, 12:01 AM
I agree it's odd. The other day I saw a woman changing her baby on the floor between the racks at Talbots Kids. It was in the back of the store, but still...I did mention to her nicely that in case she didn't know, there's a really great mother's room at Nordstrom's (which is 2 doors down!). She's probably complaining to someone right now about this nosy woman she encountered at Talbots. :)

tippy
11-25-2004, 02:26 AM
I am guilty of changing ds on the floor in between the book cases at Barnes-and Noble. For some reason he is afraid of the changing table in their bathroom. It is in the handicap stall and every time I try and put him up there he arches his back and almost throws himself off. For some strange reason he doesn't do this anywhere else - just Barnes and Noble. I do throw the diaper away in the bathroom though :)

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

Melanie
11-25-2004, 04:18 AM
I think it is odd, too, but I've seen Nannys do it (or something similiar along the lines of no regard for a child's privacy) around here.

And like the OP, I don't mean just a quick public diaper change.

jesseandgrace
11-25-2004, 09:23 AM
I think it could have been done faster, but not too weird. On the other hand, until you have a toddler
pre-school boy you can not imagine the places that you will stop for that boy to pee! The equipment does make it easier, so in an emergency you just become much more willing to let it happen. Although, I would not have my son go in a trash can or on someone elses car!

Marisa6826
11-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Glad to be of service :)

-m

Tondi G
11-25-2004, 12:57 PM
I don't think it's odd... when my DS was 2 he was happy to be naked any chance he got! LOL

Being in a public place though I just think it's odd the mother didn't bother to get everything in place first and then remove the childs diaper so the change was quicker. I would always get my supplies handy/ready then do the quick change!!!!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

lizajane
11-25-2004, 09:08 PM
keep in mind that a child who looks to be 2-2.5 years old to you isn't necessarily 2-2.5 years old. no one ever guesses that my child is only 20 months. people ask him questions all the time as though he is capable of answering them in full sentences. so while i probably would not change my 2.5 year old like that, i might change my 1.5 year old in a similar manner (probably would do it super fast, though.) and since most folks assume that my child is 6 months older than he is, i might get the same response.

deborah_r
11-26-2004, 12:06 AM
Thanks for all of your opinions. I just wasn't sure why I thought that was a little off, and wanted to see what you all thought. I mostly worry about perverts hanging around to get a peek.

Probably the weirdest thing about it based on my experience is that the child actually just stood there not making a peep the whole time, not jumping around, not running away. I can't imagine my little guy ever being that cooperative about a diaper change!