PDA

View Full Version : ACK! My husband's 40th birthday is on Tuesday!

JElaineB
11-24-2004, 11:55 PM
I knew his birthday was next week - but I was just planning on getting him a couple of token gifts as usual :0. Tonight I just remembered it is the big 4-0 and I'm thinking maybe I should try and do something a little better! I don't get home on Monday night until 9 pm and Tuesday night until 7 pm - we both work all day and DH takes care of DS both nights. I'm thinking maybe some kind of prepared nice dinner since we are not going to be able to go out to dinner that night. We live out in the boonies so delivery isn't an option. I guess I could bring something home at 7 - I don't know. Or are there online places I could order a hot meal from?! Or should I just go shopping on Friday (I was trying to avoid it) and get him a decent gift (he gave me a list of what he wants for Christmas so I have some ideas - mostly accessories for our KitchenAid mixer, or a food dehydrator!) Any ideas for making a during-the-workweek 40th birthday special would be appreciated!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jesseandgrace
11-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Is there any possibility of taking him out on the weekend? I think if you could take him out to dinner, and then maybe plan some alone time for him with his buddies (whatever they like to do), and a thoughtful present, that would go a long way. My husband turned 40 last summer and we were out of town with family, so we all went out to dinner to a great restaraunt, and I gave him tickets to the Yankees Red Sox game (a dream of his), I think that went over pretty well. It was a busy time for us, so it was hard to do too much, but I think these little things are important, so if you can think of anything that is special to him and try to do it I think that would go a long way. Maybe tickets to a football game, a ski pass for the day, bowling, a cooking class, anything you think he really likes. I would try to avoid the Christmas List stuff and really go for something less practical and more fun. It doesn't have to take you a lot of time, you can get tickets to a game/show/etc. online easily, and maybe you can plan it on a night where you can have a sitter and go with him - it doesn't have to be on the actual game. The game I gave dh tickets for was 2 months after his bday. Hope this helps.

jd11365
11-25-2004, 09:48 AM
I once watched an episode of Oprah where the husband gave his wife 5 "O"s for her 50th birthday... One was a trip to the "O"prah show... So, you could get him 3 gifts that start or have something to do with the letter O, and the 4th could be a "special" one from you that's free, IYKWIM...(As I duck away from the comupter blushing. ;))

ETA: Heck, now I can think of two things you can "give him" that are free that start with the letter O...this could be an easy one! (Now running from the computer in total embarrassment!)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

babymama
11-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Jamie - you are hilarious! LOL!!!

To the original poster - I'm a terrible gift giver, so I'm not much help. I agree, though, withthe person who suggested you stayaway from xmas wish list items. Can you pull off a surpise bday party in short order? Maybe at a restaurant w/ a few close friends?

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

tippy
11-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Just a thought...since his actual birthday falls on a work night for both of you and you will probably be tired is there any way you can do a small something (token) and then surprise him over the weekend with his "real" celebration. That would give you a bit more time to plan things out too. Good luck. I'm sure whatever you end up doing he will appreciate it. As someone who will be celebrating the big 40 on Dec 27th I prefer to pass on my birthday this year completely!
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

new_mommy25
11-25-2004, 10:22 PM
Tee hee! I'm blushing right now.

psophia17
11-26-2004, 01:27 AM
One word: COUPONS

I have given them as gifts many times, generally to people who like a specific thing that I do. DH gets romantic/sexy ones (not lately, though), my parents get coupons for home-baked goods, friends get coupons for a lunch date, that kind of thing.

40 coupons for whatever your DH would like coupons for...;)

Saartje
11-26-2004, 03:56 AM
LOL, Jamie! I'm laughing with my mouth covered up, so I don't wake DH and DIshie!

JElaineB
11-26-2004, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, ladies! I'll definitely be using some of them. I think doing something small on his actual b-day and maybe something bigger on the weekend (NEXT weekend!) is the way to go. I like the multiple gift/coupon ideas too. I might just try the 4 "O's" idea, Jamie! ;-) Thanks everyone for your help!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02