PDA

View Full Version : Philly moms--anyone free this coming Monday?

lmintzer
11-25-2004, 10:25 PM
We'll be in town! We're coming Sat. and going home Tuesday. It will be a pretty packed few days. Sat., we're seeing Haddonfield, NJ with a realtor. Sun., we have a late brunch at the house of one of the people interviewing dh (Lord, help us--with our two small kids!). Then, it's off to see the Main Line suburbs with a realtor (naps that afternoon will have to be in the car). Monday, dh is interviewing all day--he won't even be back for bedtime. Blah! I'm dreading single-parenting with two kids in a strange city. Anyone want to hang out? I can't guarantee my overtired, schlepped-around children who are on pretty tight sleep schedules at home will be pleasant, but you never know. We'll be staying in Center City. I believe we'll be right by a Borders and not far from the Please Touch Children's museum. So if anyone wants to join us for either of those places, I'm game. PM me and I'll let you know where we're staying. You can even come crash our suite if you'd like! We could have a little baby/toddler party just like at the Chicago retreat where Jamie and Candy's suite got a work out from the kids. : )

Then, Tues., I interview with two people at CHOP. That means I'm off to find some "real" clothes to pack, lol.

Wish us luck--this will be our first plane trip with the two kids. I'm dreading the whole thing! We're probably going to wind up checking 3 bags (since we both need interview clothes and the kids need a lot of clothes changes and toys). Then, we'll have to go through the airport with 2 carseats, the P3 (God bless that running board!), a large diaper bag backpack, and of course, the two kiddos. No underwire bra for me! Last thing I want is to have to get pawed by an airport security guard (did anyone see that article in the NY Times?).

jamsmu
11-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Lisa,

Wow! What a weekend!!! I wish I could get together with you on Monday, but I'm not available :(.

Best wishes for your busy visit. I hope all goes well--and that the boys are angels!

Please keep us updated. Can't wait to hear how it goes and what you think of the area.

Kieransmom
11-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Enjoy your trip to the Delaware Valley! This is where I grew up. Haddonfield is great. I'm from Moorestown, NJ which is a few miles north of Haddonfield. That's a great area with a top notch public school system so ask your realtor to check that out too (Moorestown, that is). You'll find many of the Eagles and Flyers live there. We also have the CEO of Commerce Bank there in his 45,000 square foot too big for 4 people mansion. It's a historic town like Haddonfield (Established in 1682) but there are also many new high end developments. Tons of upscale shopping too..from every direction. It is the town where the Flexible Flyer (the sled) was invented.

The shops in Haddonfield are so charming. This is where I bought my wedding dress. So much for the kids to do. :-)

We're currently living in Delaware which we hate and the schools are horrendous-we will be back someday soon. I miss it so. My family still lives there and many of my friends bought their homes there. Both towns are very nice though. Have a great trip! I'm sorry I won't be in the area Monday!

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

lukkykatt
11-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Not living in Phila anymore, but from there and my father lives in Cherry Hill now. Everytime we are up, I try to talk DH into moving back and getting a house in Haddonfield - I love that town! The Main Line is also nice - you can't go wrong either way. Have fun house shopping and don't forget to keep us posted.

And interviewing at CHOP is totally impressive. It sounds like you are on to great things! Good luck with everything.

alexsmommy
11-26-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for you. I hope the napping in the car thing works out and you are able to find a house you like as much as you one here...Best of luck and remember, it's only a few days of disrupted schedules.

lmintzer
11-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks! I'll call you when I get back and let you know. We're not sure on Philly vs. Milwaukee at this point but are using the realtors as a resource for checking out and learning about neighborhoods. The good thing is that the cost of living is lower than in our area, so we could get more house for our money. Hey, it's shallow, but a girl's gotta get something for being torn away from her home and community.

Marisa6826
11-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Lisa Girlie-

You're moving to Jersey? Woo hoo! I'm in Northern Jersey, though - about two hours above you. Unfortunately, I'm too huge and slow to come down Monday. Besides, I'm not allowed to be more than an hour from my OB at this point. ;)

CHOP is a wonderful, wonderful place. Sophie had her eyes operated on there. In fact, I need to take Sophie and Amelia for eye checkups in May. Hopefully we can get together - if not in May, then another time!

Good luck on the plane. At least you won't be alone with the kiddos.

hugs

-m

lukkykatt
11-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Lisa, if you have ANY questions about the areas where you are looking, PM me. I lived just outside of Center City Phila (Art Museum area) for 31 years. I also worked at Penn for 8 years, so very familiar with the area where you are interviewing as well.

You are really looking at nice areas for homes. The only thing about the Main Line I would tell you to be careful about is being too close to City Line Avenue in certain areas - it is the dividing line between Phila and the 'burbs, and in some places, that is not a good thing.

alexsmommy
11-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Umm, are there places other than NY and San Fran that are more expensive than where we live LOL? We've thought of volutarily leaving just to get more house for the money. Too bad you don't have a four bedroom or I might be trying to snag your place w/o a realtor. Call when your back and we can talk over coffee and I can give you Joshua's present.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

lmintzer
11-26-2004, 08:36 PM
LOL re: snagging my house. I only wish I could "give" it to you--somehow, I'd feel better thinking about someone I know and like living there and raising her kids there. I don't know--it's a weird kind of thing. But, alas, it only has 3 bedrooms.

I'll definitely call when we get back. Maybe we could even meet for coffee in the evening sans kids? Mine are in bed by 8:00 p.m.