PDA

View Full Version : New DC 14 Dyson...do I have to choose between it and the animal?

brittone2
11-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Okay....MIL was over today and mentioned that she'd like to get DH and I one "larger" gift in addition to our usual gifts as she's buying some bigger ticket Christmas items for my Dh's brother and sister that they really need. We couldn't think of anything right away that we wanted/needed particularly, but this evening a Dyson jumped into my mind as a possibility. We have an older Oreck, which works pretty well on bare floors but lacks attachments and can't do our stairs effectively (our stairs are always gross with pet hair even after vacuuming). We recently got a 2nd upright vac from Sears that I think is a Kenmore (it was rated decently in Consumer Reports) and it has attachments. The problem is that that vac isn't so great on the Pergo and doesn't do great with the furniture.

Did I mention we have two dogs, one husky/shepherd mix (literally a total walking HAIRBALL) and a shepherd/border collie mix, along with two cats...yes, I'm crazy ;) Not to mention a relatively newly crawling 9 month old?

So....I know the new DC-14 is supposed to do better at picking up Cheerios (DS isn't eating them yet) since it can accomodate the "height" of them on bare floors better. But....the "animal" seems like it might be needed because obviously pet hair is ridiculous around here. Is there a version of the animal that can also pick up cheerios or am I just dreaming?? ;) I'm not sure cheerios would be a huge deal to sweep up with a broom, but i'd like to make sure any chokable items that size can be easily swept up.

What model do I need? We have carpet upstairs and on the steps, vinyl in the kitchen and Pergo pretty much everywhere else downstairs. And hair "bunnies" just about everywhere if we don't vacuum everyday ;)

jesseandgrace
11-26-2004, 09:28 AM
Someone else might know more, but the animal only adds an attachment that is better at picking up pet hair. The vacuum is the same. That said, I think the new dc-14 has an animal version, or at least a complete version that has the same animal attachment. It is confusing, but besides the colors (the first one was the DC 7, I think), the entire vacuum is the same thing and they add on different attachments for the hose and call it different names. So now they have the new and improved Dc 14, and the same thing will be true. Same vacuum, different attachments and therefore different names, but better than the DC 7. Definitely go for the new DC-14, just find the new animal version of it, or the one that has the right attachments. The Dyson website is very helpful, and if I am remembering correctly it tells you where to buy certain special edition models. We bought the one that has everything from best Buy, and I am pretty sure it includes everything the old animal had.

brittone2
11-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Last night after I posted I finally went to the Dyson site and saw there is a DC 14 version of the animal. Here's my question now...if I buy a model or two up from teh animal such as the best buy exclusive version, etc. am I still getting the "animal" but with some upgrades?

I am confused by their naming process. I guess I just need to spend some time on the dyson site but I'm lazy (and have a 9 month old that doesn't like me spending time on the computer).

Chris Johnson
11-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Question is do you need a tool for vacuuming your furniture or stairs. If so the Animal would be a good choice. The DC14 Animal vacuums up larger pieces and also has some improvements over the DC07. If your a person that doesn't like attachments like myself then the DC14 Low Reach is a good choice.

brittone2
11-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Chris-
So if you buy the models that are above the "Animal" cost-wise, is the basic upright part of the vacuum still the same, with the addition of the extra attachments? If you buy the "low reach" (is that the $399 model?), is the basic vacuum still the same as well? Does it have the little brushes that angle out on the vacuum head to collect hair/dirt along the baseboards? (even after we vacuum now it always seems to accumulate along the baseboards...)

We definitely need a stair attachment because our stairs get very hairy. Our husky loves to sleep on a step halfway up the staircase for some reason ;)

What exactly comes with the Animal? They had it at Bed Bath and Beyond when I was in there last night but I didn't have much time to check it out. I think it includes the stair attachment and the furniture attachment? How is the furniture attachment....is it decent or not so great? I haven't found a good mini vac or any upright so far that does a great job of cleaning furniture with the attachments, so I'm hoping for a miracle I guess ;)

jesseandgrace
11-27-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure I know the amswer to all of your questions, but I think if you buy the one with everything (we bought ours at Best Buy) it will have the animal stuff and more. I think. Plus, ours came with an attachment that resembles another little vacuum for low reach places. It really seems to have everything. It is also a really cool purple and dark grey. By far the coolest looking one of the new ones IMO.

Chris Johnson
11-27-2004, 10:43 PM
All models are the same with the same amount of suctions. For every extra attachment you pay more. Base model "DC07" is called the All Floors next comes the Low Reach "Low Reach Tool" followed by the Animal "Low Reach Tool, Mini Turbo Brush and Cleaning Kit" and the top of the line Full Gear "Same tools that come with the Animal but with a longer warranty"

All have the same little brushes that angle out for cleaning along the baseboard.

I really like the mini turbo tool that comes with the DC07 and DC14 Animal by the way.

MelissaTC
11-27-2004, 10:51 PM
I have the DC 14 Animal- http://www.dyson.com/range/feature_frame.asp?model=DC14-ANIMAL. I have carpet upstairs, living room is carpeted downstairs and the rest of the flooring is tile or Pergo. I have 2 dogs, both Chow mixes and of course a messy Toddler. This thing is awesome. This thing sucks up all the hair and everything else on the floor. The attachments are great and I would say it is definitely well worth the investment. I use it to clean the stairs, all the nooks and cranies in the house as well as the floor/rug. I don't bother sweeping anymore; I just vacuum!

em_jon98
11-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Chris,

Can you buy the attachements seperately? I could not find any info about that on the Dyson site...

Chris Johnson
11-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Yes you sure can. Whatever vacuum cleaner you decide to purchase comes with a catalog with accessories for your vacuum in the box. Most of the accessories have to be ordered through Dyson.