PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else want to fess up to liking canned cranberry sauce?

deborah_r
11-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Not just canned, but specifically the *jellied* Ocean Spray cranberry sauce! Growing up I didn't know there was any other form of cranberry sauce in the world...I thought that was just how it came! And I still love it. I'm shameless...I don't even try to chop it up to hide the lines from the can. Love it, love it, love it...going to have some more now!

pritchettzoo
11-26-2004, 01:19 AM
We love it here too. DH was so excited to give Gracie her first taste. I eat it like jelly on the rolls, and it can't touch anything else.

Paula Deen made cranberry sauce "sandwiches" with a cream cheese and pecan filling between two thick slices. Interesting...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

new_mommy25
11-26-2004, 03:38 AM
Lol, I'm terrified of the stuff. My MIL served it and I actually saw it for the first time in my life today. It was the wierdest looking stuff I have ever seen. I didn't try it.

JLiebCamm
11-26-2004, 07:32 AM
I love it too! I also like real cranberries, but there is always a place for both on my plate!

Kieransmom
11-26-2004, 07:34 AM
THis is so funny that you posted this because I was thinking about this last night at dinner. When we were younger that's all my mother would serve because we wouldn't eat her homemade cranberry sauce. Now that we're older she makes a fabulous homemade recipie. However I remember thinking to myself last night that I miss the taste and texture of plain old canned cranberry sauce. I guess that feels more like my old traditional Thanksgiving. Weird. :-)

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

jd11365
11-26-2004, 07:36 AM
YES!!! The fancy schmancy restaurant we went to had the real deal and I wished they had the good 'ol fashioned canned stuff...there's nothing better IMO!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

jk3
11-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Love it too! I bought 3 extra cans! We hosted Thanksgiving but my mother made three different homemade cranberry sauces + relishes. The older generation preferred her specialties but the rest of us preferred the canned variety.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

heidis2girls
11-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Yes! We had it at my parents house yesterday! We love it!

babymama
11-26-2004, 10:13 AM
So funny! My mom used to serve this stuff like you do - ridges and all. I haven't tried it in years, so I'm not sure if I prefer it or not. I think the pp's idea about mixed w/ cream cheese sounds good - will cut down on the tartness.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

momma_boo
11-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Heh, heh. I will have to join you. We always had the canned stuff growing up (my parents are immigrants and it probably never occurred to them to try making it).

I remember freezing it and eating it like sorbet.

I have to admit that I still prefer the canned stuff, although I've become more "sophisticated" and get the one with whole/crushed cranberries in it.

I tried making cranberry sauce when I hosted Thanksgiving after I got married. It was definitely not the same.

crayonblue
11-26-2004, 10:54 AM
I like it! Especially on a turkey sandwich!

Puddy73
11-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Me! I do! I've tried fancy cranberry sauce and cranberry relish, but the stuff in the can is still my favorite.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

sbjf
11-26-2004, 01:09 PM
I too grew up with the can shaped cranberry sauce plopped in a bowl on the table and it's all I knew for a looong time. When I got older and realized that the canned look was not too attractive I tried others and I hate them all!

Now I proudly put out my can shaped cranberry sauce on my beautiful table :-) It's simply tradition in my family now.

Yesterday, however, we spent Thanksgiving at my mom's house and her husband is very gourmet. He asked me a while back if they should pick up the can or if I was up for trying his new cranberry sauce recipe (had orange juice or something in it, too). I really didn't care this year so I said ok, I'll try his recipe. Well it was AWFUL! Now that's it, I'll either have my can shaped CS or just do without, lol.

I'm really happy to hear that I'm not the only one who loves it this way!

sbjf
11-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Oh God, me too! I love it on a turkey sandwich, yum!!!!! The best.

redhookmom
11-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Me too! The lines from the can is one of the most important parts.

tippy
11-27-2004, 02:47 AM
MMmmmmm Left over turkey sandwiches with stuffing, canned cranberry sauce and gravy! Oh and sliced apples are really good on it to. We went to my husbands, sister's, brother and sister in laws house (wow that was a mouthful!) and they made some funky cranberry sauce mold that was a faint pink color. Blech! Give me the can and a spoon and I'm one happy camper!
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

psophia17
11-27-2004, 01:19 PM
My fave is the canned with berries, but the jellied kind is nice to make sandwiches from - it slices so well! I haven't liked any of the homemade cranberry sauces I've tried, and since I tend to be a from-scratch kind of girl in the kitchen, this means to me that the canned people perfected the recipe and have done a service to the world by selling it ;)

himom
11-27-2004, 03:58 PM
I love it. It's the best with leftover turkey on rolls. I really like it as a "spread" instead of mayo or butter. Yum!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

muszy
11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
DW sent me to the store last Tuesday to buy Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce. It HAD to be Ocean Spray. I got the LAST can at our Albertson's. Since Albertson's brand was on sale, I thought about buying both and doing a blind taste test, but I decided that I enjoy my turkey to much to put that at risk by upsetting DW.

As always, it was yummy.

deborah_r
11-29-2004, 04:15 PM
>I thought about buying both and doing a blind taste test, but
>I decided that I enjoy my turkey to much to put that at risk
>by upsetting DW.
>

Smart move! Don't mess with a woman's cranberry sauce!!

s7714
11-29-2004, 04:53 PM
LOL! I LOVED it when I was a kid...until the Thanksgiving I literally ate so much of it I got sick. Now I can't eat more than a little bit without my stomach getting all wishy-washy. I still love the taste of it, but my stomach doesn't seem to agree! :(

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
DC #2 EDD: 6/05

MartiesMom2B
11-29-2004, 05:39 PM
In my opinion there is no other cranberry sauce. I love it. I love how the can lines cause a type of perferation in the jelly that's a guide to where to slice it. Martie loved it too!

-Sonia

KBecks
11-29-2004, 06:02 PM
I like it but rarely eat it. Basically, I don't open a can, but eat it if it's served. We have 2 cans in the pantry that have been there for a while. I had it growing up whenever we had chicken or turkey.