PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Christmas Trees: any advice/suggestions?

cmo
11-26-2004, 03:33 PM
It seems that artificial trees have come a long way from the scraggly plastic ugly ducklings of my youth! There are a lot of nice choices out there now, and I don't know where to begin to sort them out. Does anyone have a tree they really like? What criterion should one look for in a tree? Where do you get them? With lights or without? Please share any information you might have!

Thanks a bunch!

Chris

sbjf
11-26-2004, 04:01 PM
We bought one from Michaels recently but we are considering returning it because it seems like there are some deals to be found now (after Thanksgiving.) If we find a comparable one or better one for less money we'll return it.

When I began looking I kept in mind the number of lights and the number of tips (branch tips). Good stores/trees should list this info. and of course the more lights and tips for the money the better.

I happen to love multi-colored lights and I think kids prefer it, too, but when purchasing a pre-lit tree (which is the way to go if you are getting an artificial one anyway in my opinion!), get a clear/white lit one, you can always ADD multi-colored lights to it when you want that look!

Let me know if you find any nice looking ones!!

sbjf
11-26-2004, 04:01 PM
We bought one from Michaels recently but we are considering returning it because it seems like there are some deals to be found now (after Thanksgiving.) If we find a comparable one or better one for less money we'll return it.

When I began looking I kept in mind the number of lights and the number of tips (branch tips). Good stores/trees should list this info. and of course the more lights and tips for the money the better.

I happen to love multi-colored lights and I think kids prefer it, too, but when purchasing a pre-lit tree (which is the way to go if you are getting an artificial one anyway in my opinion!), get a clear/white lit one, you can always ADD multi-colored lights to it when you want that look!

Let me know if you find any nice looking ones!!

tinkerbell1217
11-26-2004, 04:42 PM
I swore I would NEVER buy an artificial tree, but I finally broke down and bought one about 6 years ago. My DH insisted. His mom's townhouse almost burned to the ground from a real tree catching on fire. I know artificial ones can catch on fire too, but at least you don't have to worry about watering them.

Anyway, we have been through 3 artificial trees. The first was pretty dismal looking as we couldn't afford a really expensive one. The second wasn't much better, but the one we have now is nicer. Its still not the actual tree I want, but the one I really want is over $200! Not anytime soon! Ours has colored lights on it standard. I like all white lights, DH doesn't. Guess who won that one?? I tried getting one that looked nice and full without being too expensive. But, the more expensive ones are fuller, with more branches. Once we get all our decorations on ours it looks nice. Its a little thin, but for the price its a nice tree. We got it half off at Garden Ridge two years ago. I think it was about $65.

Lots of luck!

Momof3Labs
11-26-2004, 09:37 PM
I just bought one at Home Depot today. We were looking for a pre-lit tree (saves soooo much time over having to do lights every year) with strong branches to hold heavier ornaments (the cheaper ones tend to be flimsier). Wanted something full and reasonably nice looking. DH put the tree up tonight and we have to finish fluffing the branches, but so far we are pretty pleased with our purchase. It was $149, but MUCH nicer than the trees for the same price at Michael's.

Home Depot also had a $89 tree that I considered, but I really liked the shape of the one that we got.

starrynight
11-26-2004, 11:23 PM
We bought one from kmart 4 years ago and for $50 it's a nice tree and doesn't look too fake.

I wouldn't mind a prelit one but dh doesn't want one, he actually likes the light hassel! He's goofy ;).

jubilee
11-27-2004, 02:03 AM
We got one last year at Michaels for about $150 on sale. Ours is a 7.5 foot tree, which once you put the star on it really gets close to our ceiling. I opted to get one not pre-lit. I like variety, and every few years do a new spin on the tree decorations. For a few years I did red-white-blue lights and patriotic ornaments, for a few years I did all white lights and woodsy ornaments, and now I do red and white lights with red and gold ornaments. Because I plan on having this tree for a long time, I avoided pre-lit so I can still have my variety and keep up with the new holiday looks. I just don't want to be stuck into one look forever- however there is something to be said for just following tradition too. My one advice is to buy the most expensive tree you can afford, since you can expect it to last forever. I wouldn't want to be moaning over a cheapy tree in a few years. I know right now Michaels is having a $50 off coupon on their trees. Hopefully you find the right one for you!!

houseof3boys
11-27-2004, 09:47 AM
We are looking at them now and I think you just really need to go look at them in person. We have it narrowed down to one at Costco that has more lights and less tips for $149 (or thereabouts) and one at Hobby Lobby that has more tips and less lights for $180 after their 30% off. They look almost the same to me so DH gets to make the decision.

I never thought I would get a fake tree but it just seems really practical with kids and the lack of mess factor/water spilling everywhere is a bonus. :)

I compensated by ordering a ton of Yankee Candles in Christmas scents, btw. :) :)

hez
11-27-2004, 06:48 PM
We ended up getting one at Sears last year-- I had a very specific size in mind (9', but narrow). We did some research on the 'net, then went and looked at the trees in person. We have a prelit and I LOVE how fast it is to put up. We put up a tree at the church this morning, with the individual branches to put on and no lights, and I felt like it took forever in comparison. Of course, I was cranky from being up so early, too ;)

We got our last tree at Lowe's, and the tree at the church was from Michael's. Both were pretty decent quality, holding up 5+ years so far, and our old tree has actually made it as a hand-me-down to my SIL.

Think about how full you want the branches to be, and if you get a prelit, make sure the lights will stay on even if one burns out. Most of the prelit we looked at last year had that feature. Have fun shopping!

blnony
11-27-2004, 10:00 PM
DD and I are very allergic to trees esp. pine etc. So we've had a fake tree for awhile.
We bought a new one last year that I love. We bought it at Garden Ridge which is a big Pier One like store. We got the pre-lit tree and really really like it. The lights are so uniform and easy.
There are different styles like Fir, Pine etc. I really like the Fir, I think its a bit fuller.
Also, splurge for the ones with more lights if you like a really full tree. Also, look at the light count if you go with a prelit tree, the more the better IMO. :)

hez
11-28-2004, 12:01 AM
"Also, look at the light count if you go with a prelit tree, the more the better IMO."

Mine, too! What's the rule of thumb? At least 100 lights per foot of tree? I think that's what we tried to stick with when we were looking.