PDA

View Full Version : Does your kiddo have their own insurance card?

Marisa6826
11-26-2004, 06:05 PM
We have Aetna and my (and Jonathan's) card has the entire family listed on it. Consequently, Sophie doesn't have a card of her "own".

I'm worried that God forbid she gets sick while I'm in the hospital, my Aunt will have to take Sophie to the doctor. Even though they have it on file, I'm asked every time we go for the card to verify the copay. Would a photocopy be enough?

I know I'm going to need to have my card with me while in the hospital and don't want to leave it here with my Aunt. My guess is that if Sophie was sick enough to need to go to the doctor, Jonathan would come with and it would circumvent the entire problem, but I want to be prepared just in case.

I somehow doubt Aetna could get me a spare before Thursday (this all occurred to me last night).

-m

jubilee
11-26-2004, 06:16 PM
I work in medical billing, and a photocopy of the card is just fine!! And in an emergency, most people don't arrive with their card anyway. The card isn't a guarentee of benefits but it sure does help us bill to the right company and plan. Also, you'll want to write up authorization for Auntie to take Sophie to the doctor or hospital. You are getting SO close!! How exciting!

heidis2girls
11-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Marisa, we have Blue Cross and we each have our own insurance card. It makes my wallet bulky, but that's the way they do it! Hannah is with DH at his parents house and I forgot to give him Hannah's card. Fortunately they haven't needed it, but it's all under DH's name anyway.

Julie has a good point about writing up an authorization for your Aunt to take Sophie to the hospital if need be. It would make things run smoother and quicker if need be. DH printed up a letter for me to sign stating that he was taking Hannah to visit his parents (they were flying) and that I had authorized it. It's best to cover your bases. You can never be too careful!

You must be getting so excited that Amelia is almost here!

Marisa6826
11-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Yup-

A letter of authorisation is on my list of stuff to do ;). I'll probably staple a copy of the insurance card to it so she has it all in one place.

I wonder if she would need a letter to pick up medications from a pharmacy as well...

Thanks!

-m

jk3
11-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Braden has his own (Aetna) and for some reason he is 02 + I'm 03 which makes no sense! I doubt you'd need the card in the event of an emergency.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

new_mommy25
11-26-2004, 08:09 PM
We have our owm cards with Kaiser. But on our previous insurance only my husband had a card. I didn't even have my own card!

jbowman
11-26-2004, 09:10 PM
For whatever reason, I seem to have a million cards (one for the diaper bag, one for my wallet, one at home in a drawer...). I don't know how it happened!

I bet a photocopy and letter from you authorizing your aunt to care for Sophie would suffice.

Laurelsmom2002
11-26-2004, 09:18 PM
we used to have one for everybody (aetna) but when we added ds, everybody was on mine and dh, must be something new

mharling
11-26-2004, 09:19 PM
>I wonder if she would need a letter to pick up medications
>from a pharmacy as well...

That's a good idea as well. My mom is able to pick up prescriptions for my nephews without a note, but only because it's a small town and my parents, my brother's family and the pharmacists all know each other.

You can never be too prepared!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

C99
11-26-2004, 09:36 PM
*I* don't have my own insurance card. All of our cards list my husband's name, ID, employer, co-pay, etc.

I would think that if it were a big deal, they could just bill you for the co-pay later. No?

hez
11-26-2004, 09:45 PM
We have a different carrier (Humana) but DS is 02 and I'm 03, also. I just figured it was because until DS came along DH and I had carried our insurance separately. We added DS to DH's insurance first, then added me to DH's family plan when the calendar turned to 2004...

Marisa, I agree with the others-- a photocopy should do the trick. Good for you for thinking ahead!

zen_bliss
11-26-2004, 10:31 PM
call & request one -- they are surprisingly fast. we also have aetna HMO, and each have our own card, same number with A,B,C for each subscriber at the end. i requested a second DD card for DH to keep in his wallet and it arrived quickly. a photocopy is a great idea... and the ped should have a copy on file as well. mine knows that i often forget my card. good luck!

starrynight
11-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Each of us has their own card :). I hope you don't need the extra card this week!

But I remember when I was a kid and on my dad's insurance plan from work their were only two cards, one for him and one for my mom with my brother and I listed on the card.

starrynight
11-26-2004, 10:38 PM
>I wonder if she would need a letter to pick up medications
>from a pharmacy as well...

Yes I would do this! Dh can only pick up scripts for me with my id card and he can't pick them up for anyone else without a note and even then depending on the med they can be a pain about it. But keep in mind this is a military hospital pharmacy and they are very strict.

tippy
11-27-2004, 02:16 AM
Marisa-

When we had BCBS we each had our own cards in our own name. Now we have United HC and like you we are all listed under DH's name. We still have our own cards though (3 cards that all say the same thing). I agree that a photocopy should be fine at your pediatrician’s office, especially if they are only asking for it to verify your co-pay. I would make a copy of both sides in the event that Sophie had to go to the Hospital or to a Dr. she has never been to before. As far as writing a letter of authorization, I don't know why you would need one for the doctors. It's not like they ask for ID when you show your insurance card. As for the pharmacy, I haven't ever had a problem with other people picking up my prescriptions for me (DH, my mom, sister or neighbor) but then again, they have my card on file. You could always call your pharmacy and ask them. It might save you some hassle and worry.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

kijip
11-27-2004, 03:27 AM
We have several copies of our family card. Just ask your insurance company for another one!

searchdog
11-27-2004, 04:50 AM
I have always heard that this type of letter needs to be notarized, which you can have done at your bank or tons of other places. As far as the pharmacy, I would call the pharmacist and ask. With the HIPPA (don't know if that is the correct abbreviation) laws that are in effect they aren't legally able to give a prescription to just anyone, so you may have to authorize your aunt to be able to pick up prescriptions with the actual pharmacy.

MelissaTC
11-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Everyone in our family has their own card. The only card we share is our prescription card. Only DH and I have one.