PDA

View Full Version : Spinnaker ate a whole TURKEY CARCASS!!!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-26-2004, 07:36 PM
We just came home from a hectic day of shopping for our trip...
I had plans to make broth from the huge turkey carcass that I had left out on the top of the stove.

So I noticed it was gone and assumed Steve packed it up for me to use...UMMMM NO....

Spinnaker, my chessie, sneezes and grins and snickers when she has done something bad or if she is even thinking of doing something bad...
Well Spinnaker ATE the whole thing...no sign of it anywhere.

She does not appear to be having a hard time with it, but the bones of course scare me to death (I am a sticker about chicken bones etc...)...do any doggy people think I'll be OK????

What should I do????
I kid you not...not a crumb of carcass anywhere!!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 Baby girl BRONWYN
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 12-10-04
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

Marisa6826
11-26-2004, 07:42 PM
Just keep an eye on her. I know that poultry bones splinter very badly (we had a boxer that ate a chicken once).

Sure it's not under a bed or something?

BTW - it wouldn't have been good to make the soup from it anyway since you hadn't refrigerated it. Especially while preggo.

She did you a favour! ;)

-m

jd11365
11-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Yes, be very watchful. This happened one year with one of my aunt's weims and it got bloat and almost died. Fortunately her DH was a vet. Bloat happens in large dogs, I don't know how big your dog is. I don't mean to scare you, just keep a watchful eye, that's all.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-26-2004, 08:09 PM
We are leaving in 8 days is it safe to assume that if it is going to happen it will happen by then????

YIKES- she is about 85lbs...a chubby, old maid kind of 85lbs...Spinnaker is 9 years old.

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-26-2004, 08:12 PM
you are so funny always reminding me what I shouldn't eat and all...sushi and now turkey broth, traveling etc... :)

actually it was refrigerated and brought out for a few hours when this happened...I picked the meat off of it for the pups earlier.

but I make broth from any bird we eat and use it for the dogs food as long as it lasts ...I guess Spinnaker prefered the carcass to the broth :)

Edited to say that if she needs mergency surgery within 8 days of me leaving for 4-5 weeks she has done me no favor I can assure you!!!!

barbarhow
11-26-2004, 08:14 PM
I am pretty certain that it happens fairly quickly. Watch her stool for blood. The concern with the bones is that they are so sharp that they can puncture the intestine, esophagus or stomach. (Not trying to scare you.) My pig of a lab did this once and he was absolutely fine-it happened in the afternoon and he was tight there asking for dinner. A total pig that boy was!
Just what you needed, huh? Something else to worry about. Yikes.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

Momof3Labs
11-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Yikes - watch the other two, too. I gotta imagine that they had a hand in this even if they aren't confessing! The cats too - Murray isn't into people food but looooves turkey and chicken. If bloat happens, it will happen quickly - like today or tonight. Otherwise, watch everyone's poops and make sure that they are moving thing through properly with no blood.

Ugh, wish that I could be there to keep an eye on those pups for you!!

jd11365
11-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah, it happened within hours. If he's ok tomorrow, I'd assume his ok. Poor thing is going to have a heck of a time passing that bird though. :o When Wedgeman ate 5 pounds of raw pork, the vet suggested a capful of hydrogen peroxide. The dog threw it up in 10 minutes and all was well. Just what you wanted to hear I'm sure. Hope Spinn is feeling fine...I'm sure everything will be a-ok!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Marisa6826
11-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Oh Girlie-

After that stomach virus last week. I've been thinking about nothing but how careful I need to be with food!!

Willy and Tickie are still depressed that they didn't get any turkey yesterday - we went to friends and didn't bring any home for the pigdogs :(.

Next year...

-m

Melanie
11-27-2004, 12:07 AM
hmm...I know dogs can be vacuums, but you might want to check out some favorite haunts/corners/hiding spots. I can only imagine what the smell would be weeks later when you get home if it was ditched somewhere.

Not like you've got extra time on your hands, but could you take her to a vet preventatively?

tippy
11-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Oye Vey Neve! I have been catching up on some threads and I can't believe that on top of everything else you are dealing with you have this to worry about too! I hope Spinnaker doesn't have any problems from his "snack". Did you put a call into your Vet? Maybe there is something they can recommend that hasn't been mentioned here. What a good dog mommy you are! You make them broth!
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

MamaKath
11-27-2004, 01:36 AM
Poor Spinnaker and the others who I am sure partook as well. :-( I hope they are all okay. Please update us when you are able.

You and your family are in our prayers Neve with everything going on. I was telling my mom and sister about your upcoming trip while they were visiting, and they are also putting you guys in their prayers for your trip to go smoothly, pregnancy to be well, and all adjustments to be easy. I love the hats you picked out, I am sure they will be darling with the scarves. I just wanted you to know that you are in our thoughts during this exciting time.

mudder17
11-27-2004, 07:28 AM
I know Spinnaker was probably the main culprit but how are all the critters doing this morning? I hope things end up passing through okay!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting