PDA

View Full Version : Wondering how your family welcomes children into it, the community, etc...m

MamaKath
11-27-2004, 01:37 PM
I am just wondering this. I always think that family celebrations for new babies are so neat to hear about, and know quite a few of you have had babies recently or will quite soon.

I am wondering how you have welcomed your children (either bio or adopted) into your family and the community at large. Did you have a special ceromony (bris, baby naming, baptism, baby dedication, etc)? If you did can you describe it a bit, and the meaning of it to you (religous or other).

Obviously I am not trying to start any debates of right or wrong ways of doing things, I just have found that some of the best traditions in my family have come from hearing what others do, not from what my family of origin did. And the holidays seem to make me sentimental. :-)

Marisa6826
11-27-2004, 05:34 PM
We didn't do anything for Sophie and don't have anything planned for Amelia.

However, if Sophie was a boy (or Harry had made it) we would have had a bris, as Jonathan is Jewish. We talked about doing a naming ceremony, but since it's kind a new trend (as opposed to old tradition), we decided against it. The last thing I need is a houseful of guests/relatives expecting to be entertained and fed right after a c/s, KWIM?

Friends slowly stopped by to meet Sophie and I imagine, will do the same with Amelia. I just don't think I could handle an all day event, although I am so VERY VERY excited that Rebecca's coming down from Mass to meet Amelia and I'm trying to get Miss Rashmi to come up from Va!

-m

papal
11-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Miss Rashmi is emailing you right now! :)

tarahsolazy
11-27-2004, 09:39 PM
DH and my families are both in Wisconsin and Minnesota. DS was born in Oregon, where we lived for 6 years.

We flew DS home to my parent's house at 10 weeks, and he was baptized in the same church DH and I were married in. We are all Catholic. My mom made him a beautiful hand-beaded silk gown, he looked fab, and the ceremony meant a lot to me.

THEN WE HAD A BIG PARTY! We had about 50 people over to my folks, for food, drink, and cake, and passed Fory around for cuddles. (Luckily, it was the spring, not cold season). Given the distance involved, it was a great way to introduce him to his family. It is a tradition in my family to have a baptism with a formal gown, and a large family party. My mom has pics of the party thrown for my twin and I, too!

Rachels
11-27-2004, 09:44 PM
We had a dedication ceremony for Abigail. We asked everyone to recite this in unison for her:

We welcome this child. We accept the responsibility and privilege of providing a warm and nurturing environment for her spiritual growth. May we be strong in discernment and patience, giving of ourselves to her in wisdom and love. As we receive this child, we wish for her a life of courage and purpose, rich in hope and joy, blessed by the love of her family and friends, and sustained by the comfort of her God.

We also had a few readings and we put out a blessing book in which we asked people to write their messages of hope for her life. It was all very beautiful. Nice to get to remember it, here. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

tippy
11-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Wow Rachel, that is so beautiful. I had tears in my eyes reading your post.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

jbowman
11-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Ellie was baptized when she was about 5 1/2 months old. We decided to wait until then since we live pretty far away from both of our families. I also wanted to schedule the service after the semester was finished (LOL--I'm a professor!).

It was important to me that Ellie be baptized in my church. It was the church where DH and I were married! Even better, the priest who married us, baptized Ellie!

It was an amazing ceremony--Ellie was so spirited and happy the whole time (even when she was "dunked")! Everyone was very moved by the experience. It was a wonderful affirmation of our faith and our spiritual dedication to Ellie.

We had so many family and friends at the ceremony (and at the party following), it was a blast! Ellie did get a little *fussy* at the "after-party." Here is a picture (I couldn't resist).

Oh, and this is further proof, Tarah, that we are actually the same person, LOL--you're Catholic too?!!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/17742.jpg

C99
11-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Um...there really wasn't anything. We sent out an e-mail w/ a link to his photo page and called everyone else, and sent out announcements. That was really about it. When Nate was about 7 months old, we had him baptized (at the church that I grew up in and we were married in). We chose that date because it was the day after my brother's wedding (in the same church), so a lot of my family was in town for it and the after-party.

Kimberly H
11-28-2004, 09:41 PM
We adopted Mia at the end of January and she was baptized in our Episcopal church on Mother's Day at 15.5 months old. She wore a white silk cheongsam we brought home from China for that purpose.

While at the baptismal font, she insisted on laying in my arms, head hung backwards, waving at her brother in the choir. I was mortified but everyone else thought it was adorable.

MamaKath
11-29-2004, 12:30 AM
LOL, I have visions of a wiggly, beautifully dressed toddler dangling over the font being held by a very red faced mother. :-)

It is neat to read these, so touching to hear the sweetness of long traditions and to read the not so traditional ones where it seems the child was long a part of life and the routine before they arrived in some ways; I am chuckling over Mia and crying at Rachel's reading while enjoying each response all at the same time. I guess I should sit and write down my own, maybe tomorrow after some sleep. I hope more of you feel comfortable to share also!