PDA

View Full Version : Which of these chairs do you wish you had while nursing?

cdlamis
11-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Sorry, I know there is a forum for this kind of stuff but I need opinions from BTDT moms/dads. Bear with me. :) I am obsessing or nesting or both but all I can think about is which chair to buy.

My mom offered to buy us a glider for a baby gift. With the price range that we have, I am looking at either an upholstered glider or chase lounge. I didn't have either when Julia was a baby- just fed her in any chair so I am clueless. That is why I am posting. :)

I want a chair to nurse in but I also want a chair that looks good and will serve a purpose long after nursing. I didn't nurse Julia but am determined to this time so I need to find a chair that is comfy for nusring too. BUT the chair will go in our great room after I am done with it so it needs to serve a purpose later on too.

Which of these would you prefer?
This is similar in looks to the one I want. The one I want glides but does not recline. I would not get the ottaman for $$ reasons.
http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpab%7Ccfrnrck%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb%2Fshp ab%7Ccfrn%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb&pkey=cfrnrck%7Cab&gids=pk358

This one is a chase longe- very comfy to sit in but how comfy is it to nurse in? Or to get out of?
http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpab%7Ccfrnrck%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb%2Fshp ab%7Ccfrn%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb&pkey=cfrnrck%7Cab&gids=k864

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And another little girl EDD 12-30-04!!

jd11365
11-27-2004, 11:01 PM
All I know is my glider/ottoman doesn't recline and for that reason there were many occasions I was ready to throw it out the window. Now it doesn't matter, but when I was nursing at 3 am...sitting straight up...I was very uncomfortable. All I wanted to do was recline back and let her have at it. Instead I was forced to sit up straight. My strong opinion is if it doesn't recline, don't get it! JMO.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Marisa6826
11-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Daniella-

I almost got that rocker when I was preggo with Sophie. The only thing that held me back was that it has actual rocker "legs" on the bottom, and all I could think of was pinched little fingers once she started crawling.

The chaise longue I think would be a nightmare to get in and out of while holding a baby.

We ended up getting a Little Castle Royal swiveling glider from Buy Buy Baby that I am so absolutely in love with, we bought a second one for Sophie's "big girl room". I wasn't crazy crazy about the ruffle at the bottom of the chair, but I figured I'd get over it. They now sell one that has a regular pleated bottom. Here's a pic of the chair we have, with a REALLY old pic of Sophie ;):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/17746.jpg

Here's the link to the chair on Little Castle's site: http://www.littlecastleinc.com/dpchairs/smad_royal.gif

You can find a retailer near you by going here: http://www.littlecastleinc.com/findretail.html

I like that it will easily take a slip cover later on, and I was able to choose the fabric that I wanted both times. The only thing that sucked was the lead time on it, but I think that was because of the custom fabric.

I am pretty certain it was less than $500, although I can't quite remember.

Every person that has sat in it loves it as well. It's reasonably firm, and I found the arms to be perfect height for nursing/feeding Sophie - even having dozed off a few times ;).

Good luck!

-m

Rachels
11-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Oooh. In the long run, I'd want the chaise, but it might be tough for learning to nurse. Honestly, the most helpful things I had when I was learning were a nursing stool, a big stack of pillows, and the number of a great IBCLC. :) Once I got the hang of things, I could nurse anywhere, and I would have LOVED something like that chaise for extended snuggle times. The issue you're going to have with either of those in your first weeks of nursing is that they're deep, and it's going to be hard to sit up straight and keep your feet supported. It's not at all a deal-breaker, but I don't think they're going to be a magic fix for making it easier right off the bat. For the long haul, though, they both look fantastic. You'll have lots of snuggly hours in those chairs!

Congratulations on your decision to nurse. If I can be of any support to you as you and your baby figure out how to do it, don't hesitate to email me.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

jbowman
11-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Daniella,

FWIW, I nursed Ellie on our couch for the first few months of her life. We have a nice, soft leather couch and it was the perfect place for us. I also liked nursing her lying down (so I could get some rest, as Jamie mentioned), which didn't "require" a glider. The most important thing to me, at that point, was the Boppy!

I do think that both of the gliders are beautiful!

Oregonmother
11-27-2004, 11:43 PM
I have a dutalier glider and ottoman. The only thing i regret about this purchase is that mine does not RECLINE. I went back and forth about this when i was looking for one and finally decided not to get the recline because it was about $100 more. Boy would it have been worth it for those times when my DS fell asleep in my arms and I wanted to just recline and sleep along with him. Oh well too late now but i wish some one would have had advised me to go for it. I also think the ottoman is a must. I didn't buy it at first(just got the wood nursing stool), but about a week after my DS was born I sent my DH out to get one. My DS would not sleep in his crib or bassinet for the first month so i had to hold him, so maybe that is why all this was so important for me. Good luck finding what you want.

Momof3Labs
11-28-2004, 12:11 AM
I have a glider, and it was a huge waste of money. Ours does not recline, plus it is kind of narrow and the arms were too low to be comfy while nursing. Of course, it was hard to know all this while I was still pregnant! I went with a nursing stool early on, but the stool did nothing for me so I ordered the matching ottoman. I liked that combo much better, but it didn't fix the armrests or lack of recline.

My favorite place to nurse was sitting in bed, with sitting on the couch a close second. Once we weren't dependent on a nursing pillow, I often nursed him in an oversized chair with a separate ottoman. Not unlike the chaise, except I could push the ottoman away if I had to get out with a sleeping baby in my arms. But I liked that I could easily slide down a little, rest my head, and fall asleep along with Colin if needed.

So I guess that I vote neither, and suggest that you consider an oversized chair WITH the ottoman:

http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpab%7Ccfrnrck%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb%2Fshp ab%7Ccfrnrck%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb&pkey=cfrnrck%7Cab&gids=k3173

(Note that you can get these much cheaper at furniture stores - I spent about a third of that when I bought my set 8 years ago.)

My second vote would be the chaise, as long as you don't sink down too far in it when sitting. The rocker without an ottoman wouldn't even be worth the money, IMO.

MamaKath
11-28-2004, 12:24 AM
We have a Dutailer glider with ottoman that I love! I wish it reclined but other than that have been very happy. I always kept lots of pillows around anyway to prop, and often used a sling since I would already be wearing the baby. In our house this is known as "the Mama Chair". ;-)

We also have a chair and a half with ottoman that is used very much like that chaise. It was great with a toddler who would nurse to sleep since I could get her down for naps on there. It was okay with a newborn but not my first choice. I did like that dh and I could sit together, it was often as close to nursing as he was going to get. It is known as "the Papa chair".

HTH~

jamsmu
11-28-2004, 12:25 AM
I didn't use the glider often when nursing DS. I was more comfortable on the cushy couch or on my bed. NOW I use the glider whenever DS wakes up at night to rock him back to sleep--I absolutely love it.

I've been eyeing the chaise each time I get the catalog, so of the two I'd go for that.

Having worked at PBK, when people asked Glider vs. Rocker, I always asked about the floor. Rockers don't rock well on carpeted flooring; Gliders have no problem.

Oh, and because you may not be able to reach the floor from your rocker (if you go that way), you may want to consider a nursing stool. Definitely helps with rocking, AND it is so important to elevate your feet.

http://tinyurl.com/4cyv6

One other idea is to get a Lazy Boy. A friend said she saved oodles of money, it rocked, reclined and had a footrest. (I think this is mentioned in Baby Bargains--probably where she got the idea.)

HTH

Dcclerk
11-28-2004, 02:21 AM
I'm coming as someone who has a fabulous glider that reclines with a gliding ottoman, but I have also sat in many a Pottery Barn rocker and really believe that they are not overly comfortable. I initially wanted one because I love the way they look, but when all was said and done, I knew that it just didn't fit right. IMHO, Marisa's Little Castle and the Best Chairs gliders are both more comfortable. I think that the chaise will be very comfy often, especially when DC gets older, but I can envision cursing the thing when DC has finally fallen asleep at 3 a.m. and you are having a terrible time trying to smoothly get up without jarring the baby. I like that with ottomans you can push them away.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

momathome
11-28-2004, 09:46 AM
I had a cheapo glider that did not recline with the girls and I hated it - we just got rid of it. This time, we are splurging on a Dutalier glider that does recline and is well padded - when I tried it out in the store (Babies R Us) it seemed extremely comfy and the recline angle of the chair was perfect for nursing. I think it retails for about $420 and there is a large fabric swatch book you can pick from. The only downside is it can take 12+ weeks for Dutalier custom orders. We priced this chair at several different stores (Bellini, another local baby shop, a furniture store, and Babies R Us) and Babies R Us had the best price for the features we wanted. HTH!!!

AngelaS
11-28-2004, 01:34 PM
The chaise would be comfy, but hard to get out of w/a sleeping baby.

I have a glider and gliding footstool, but the footstool sucks for nursing!! I have a nursing footstool that I use w/my glider and it's fabulous!

mharling
11-28-2004, 02:04 PM
One of my favorite places to nurse was a chaise, but it was quite different than the one you linked above. It doesn't have sides, so it's kind of like this one, but not as tall:
http://www.thebeanbagstore.com/_private/kids_furniture_images/Eurosuede%20Chaise.JPG

I LOVE THIS CHAIR!!! It is by far my favorite non-baby purchase for use with a baby. It is super comfortable and easy to get out because you can just swing your legs around. And it's firm enough that I didn't sink in too far and had great support. I also love that it's one piece of furniture so I didn't need a nursing stool too.

Ours is at the foot of our bed (instead of a footboard), but I think something like this would work 'freestanding' as well.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

houseof3boys
11-28-2004, 04:13 PM
I am in the minority on this one since I really like my glider that does not recline! It locks in place when you are getting up so it makes it very easy to get out of the chair with a sleeping baby and you also don't need to worry about pinching fingers when they start crawling. I have the gliding ottoman but it certainly isn't useful for nursing. I used the Medela wooden nursing stool for that and DH would use the ottoman when he sat with Ryan in the chair. I am not one to fall asleep easily so even if my chair did recline, it wouldn't do me any good despite how tired I was. :P

I like the chaise lounge idea, but I would worry about getting up easily with the baby in your arms since it is lower.

The footstool is great since you can just move it with you throughout the house and I put it in the car when Ryan was 8 weeks old and used it so it would be easier for me while I was still getting the hang of nursing! The boppy is great when you are on the sofa but it never really worked in the glider. We have padded arms on ours and I couldn't imagine not having this!!!!

usfrph
11-28-2004, 06:00 PM
We bought a glider with a recline feature that I've never used.
I dilly dallied on getting a glider because I hate they look
so I didn't get in until DS was 6 weeks old. Before we got the glider
I nursed him on our chair with a boppy pillow for support.

I would think it would be hard to get out with that chaise lounge with a sleeping baby...

kristine_elen
11-28-2004, 08:25 PM
I would get the Elise chair and a half. Now that my son is almost 2, the rocker we had just wasn't big enough for us to sit in together and read. And I think the chaise would be a bitch to get out of when you're holding a baby. I think the chair-and-a-half (see below) is the best of both worlds. A lot of people nurse in stationary chairs; I don't think I'd have missed the rocking all that much.

http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpab%7Ccfrnrck%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb%2Fshp ab%7Ccfrn%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb&pkey=cfrnrck%7Cab&gids=k3173

miki
11-28-2004, 09:23 PM
We got a La-z-boy reclining glider and I have no regrets. You can get one for slightly more than the average Dutalier type glider but the La-z-boy is SOOOOOO much cushier. Great for the many times I had to hold DD while she and I slept. And I got it in a pretty red fabric with dragonflies that is not babyish so it will look fine in our den where it will eventually end up. And it was important for me that the rocker we got did not have the wooden rocker parts that could squish small hands and feet, or dog paws.

marit
11-28-2004, 10:05 PM
From the two options you mentioned I think the lounge is way better. First you don't need the ottoman, second it is much wider so you're bound to find a comfi position and you can cuddle and sleep on it too. I saw something similar at crate & barrel before Maya was born and really liked it but it was $800 so I didn't get it. I wish I had room for something so big in my house!

What ever you choose, good luck with the nursing!

tippy
11-29-2004, 04:13 AM
Hi,
Congratulations on your decision to nurse! I got the Dutalier Gliding, reclining, swiveling, rocker that locks in place. I like the recline and lock features for the times I snooze with ds in the chair. It made the likelihood of me dropping him much less since I was leaning back in the chair YKWIM? Also the swivel feature is great if you are using an ottoman. There have been so many times ds has fallen asleep in my arms and I could just turn the chair to the side and step right up! I got the cushions in a color to match his nursery but when I am done using it for nursing him I am going to get new cushions and move it into the living room. It is a very comfortable chair and I think it would be great to read/watch TV in. I purchased it through the rockingchair store in Canada and paid a lot less because of the exchange rate. Shipping was free and there wasn't any tax.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03
Here's a picture of the glider.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/17799.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/17800.jpg

babymama
11-29-2004, 10:20 AM
My favorite nursing place was on the floor (cross-legged). Sometimes for nursing, I'd use a regular chair with a make-shift nursing stool (A.K.A. DH's speaker stand). I never mastered nursing while laying down.

Given the input others have offered, I would vote for the chaise as a place to cuddle and read books, etc. As you've already heard from others, it may not be an ideal nursing spot. Any chair with a deep seat, was a total problem for me to get in and out of when DS was tiny.

RECLINE - I read the BB Book, and I don't remember a big emphasis on reclining gliders, so I didn't actually know that anyone MADE reclining gliders when I bought mine. We bought a super cheap set from Target (doesn't recline, not the most padded seat), and it's served us well. It wasn't really an optimal nursing spot (narrow arm rests), but I use it all the time now for reading books with DS and rocking him to sleep. I guess it would have been nice to have the recline, but honestly...I haven't missed it.

I would say definitely invest in a nursing stool. If I could do it all over again, I would have registered for one.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

lizajane
11-29-2004, 10:54 AM
DUTAILER!!!!!!!!!!

i have the one that reclines, locks, and has a matching gliding/locking ottoman. GET IT!!! it is SO GREAT.

the PBK one wasn't NEARLY as comforable. i didn't like it at all. (the glider, not the armchair glider... but i didn't care for that one, either.) and was more expensive!

the dutailer is tall enough for 6'2" DH. relines enough to fall asleep. has padded arm rests, which are a good height for me. i LOVE the ottoman. and because all of it locks, i don't worry that schuyler will get hurt on it when he climbs out of his twin bed.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my chair.

kransden
11-29-2004, 11:09 AM
I had the Dutalier gliding, reclining, rocker that locks in place with the ottoman. It was worth every penny since I had the colicky demon of doom for an infant. My dh used the recline feature a lot when he would fall asleep with dd in his arms. That chair with a boppy was a sanity saver! We use it ourselves frequently, and still use it occasionally when dd needs a little extra love. I think the chase lounge would be comfy, but a bear to get out of.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02