PDA

View Full Version : Fever Question in 14m DS **UPDATE**

Java
11-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Kael's been sick for a week. Horrible congestion, runny nose, junky cough and a fever. Besides not napping well, loss of appetite and being grouchy at times, he's in pretty good spirits.

I know that nothing can be done if it's a cold but I'm getting concerned about the fever. It ranges from 100.1 to 101.8 (tonight). Sometimes he feels really hot but I am unable to get a (rectal) temp (at my IL's house, right when he's napping, etc.) so I'm worried that he may have spiked up higher during the course of the week.

What should I do? His ped works 7 days a week so we can get an appointment tomorrow morning but I don't want to drag DS out there in the pouring rain to be told that there's nothing I can do except let it run its course. I've read DrSears.com and DrGreene.com and both sites say that unless it's >103 degrees, then there's really no concern.

What should I do? Am I too paranoid??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

Well, took him to see the ped and after a brief (I mean brief - like 5 minutes) exam, we were given an Rx for zithromax for a sinus infection. At this point, I am willing to do anything as nothing is helping. I have my own little pharmacy going on in the bathroom now.

I just got out of chat with Dr.Greene and was told that zith is not a good amx (antibiotic) for sinus infections. Great...

AND that if Kael was having fevers for this long, we should have had a more thorough exam and then asked if any tests (blood/urine) were done. uh, nooo...

Now I'm feeling weird about giving Kael an amx that may or may not help. *sigh* I already started the treatment for zith so I'm going to just finish it and hope it works. BUT if he gets sick again within 2 weeks then I'm raising hell at the doctor's office and will think about going to a different office.

Thanks for everyone's well wishes.

Marisa6826
11-28-2004, 10:23 AM
I would take him in. If it's been a week and Kael isn't ACTING well, then he needs to be seen.

A child with a 101-102 fever that is acting lethargic and isn't eating is sicker than a kiddo with a 103-104 that is happily playing.

He may need antibiotics - especially if his nose is running yellow or green and he's coughing up phlegm.

Call that Ped and let us know what he says!

hugs

-m

lisams
11-28-2004, 01:51 PM
I would also take him in soon! If he's been coughing for a week, it could be something more than a cold and he may need an antibiotic and a dr. to listen to his lungs.

For the time being make sure he gets lots of fluids, rest and take him into a steamy bathroom every few hours - that will help thin and break up the junk.

Sure hope he's feeling better very soon! Please give us an update!

Lisa

jd11365
11-28-2004, 01:52 PM
You're not paranoid. He's clearly not in any danger, but the kid needs some meds for sure. Kayla has been fighting this for 3 weeks now. Triaminic Congestion (Yellow) works really well. It has an expectorant and was recommended by the ped over the phone when I first called. Then, we ended up at the ped's office because it turned into an ear infection. She then got some Rondec which is prescription along with some antibiotics. It all went away, then DH and I got it...now it's back to Kayla...ugh.

Hope littel Kael is feeling better soon!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

TraciG
11-28-2004, 02:16 PM
I go first call the doc & ask them if u should bring him in, tell them what's been going on ( I would bring him,my opinion ) . I hope he feels better soon !

Tondi G
11-28-2004, 04:46 PM
It is very possible he could have an infection.... either Sinus or ear. I alwasy found if DS was just sick with a cold he'd get congested and such and may have one night of not sleeping well but if he didn't do well with naps and nighttime it was usually an EI!!!!

I'd take him in just to let the ped listen to his lungs and check his ears. If it's nothing then better safe than sorry! Keep in mind too.... he might not have an EI yet but he could develop one in a few days even if you do take him in to be checked!

Good Luck! Keep up with the Tylenol/Motrin.... lots of fluids.... if you can get him to eat chicken noodle soup and or drink peppermint/chamomile tea with honey in it it'll help! Also get some Vapor bath.... give him nice warm baths at night before bed.... the vapors help relieve some congestion and help them breathe better!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

Marisa6826
11-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Isn't honey a no-no till 2yo??? I wouldn't give it to a 14mo baby - don't need to add botulism to the mix!

-m

pritchettzoo
11-28-2004, 05:52 PM
I think it's 1 year: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm

But with a lowered immune system, who knows!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

miki
11-28-2004, 09:33 PM
I'd take him in. My ped says 3 days with a fever in that range warrants a visit.

And I am a big fan of the Exergen Temporal Artery themometer. We got it for $30 at Costco. You just swipe it across your kid's forehead and I've found the temp readings to be as accurate as rectal.

Java
11-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the advise ladies! We missed the appointment window this morning but I plan on taking him in first thing Monday morning. His temp went down to 100.6 but his cough is just terrible and it's like Niagra Falls from his nose.

Wen - I have a Braun ear thermometer but it's not accurate at all for Kael. It kept reading in the low 90's when I KNOW he was having a fever. That's why I am still doing it rectally (is that a word??). I saw that Temporal thermometer at Costco too but figured it wouldn't be as accurate. I'll have to take another look at it if you say it's as good as a rectal temp. Poor Kael: the indignity of getting THAT done to him along with being sick! ;(

Marisa6826
11-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Definitely get the Temporal Artery one. It has a bit of a learning curve to it, but it's really quite accurate.

A good trick is that it also gets a good reading from behind your ear. Gotta read the directions to know that ;).

Definitely get him to the doc tomorrow.

Please update us when you hear anything.

hugs

-m

Tondi G
11-28-2004, 11:47 PM
MY honey bear says not to give it to children under one year! I think DS had honey when he was about 14 months or so...... but you can always substitute a tiny bit of sugar just to sweeten the tea up a bit!

~Tondi

new_mommy25
11-29-2004, 02:59 AM
Oh I hope Kael gets better! Definetly go to the doctor. Noah had a low temperature but was just acting miserable. I ended up taking him in to the ER and it turned out he had pnemunia! He had to be on antibotics for a week. Poor guy.

Within the next month he got two more colds and I dragged him to the doctors both times because I was so paranoid. The next two times they told me he had just caught a new virus and not to worry- but you can never be sure, ykwim?