PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tips on getting a "spirited" child's picture professionally taken!

JLiebCamm
11-28-2004, 05:20 PM
I have not been able to get Nate to cooperate with studio portraits since May! We've tried three times since then, and every time he cries and insists on being held, or runs out of the room. It doesn't matter what time of the day it is, who is with him, or how pleasant the photographer is. I love taking pictures of him and am not opposed to not having 'professional' shots at this age. But I have two more sheets at the Picture People as part of the portait club which expire at the end of December, not to mention a huge gift certificate for there that my MIL gave to me for Mother's Day. If anyone had similar problems and found tricks that work, please let me know!

lukkykatt
11-28-2004, 08:17 PM
I used to have a VERY hard time getting pics taken of DS#1. Some things that *helped* were: bringing along something that he liked (a clock - I would hold it up behind the photographers head like a moron), having one of his friends meet up with us, and getting there early so that he could get accustomed to the place. He really did not like the whole process, and in particular getting onto the background - it freaked him out for some reason. Also, I once had a professional photographer come to our house, which was great, but also more $$$.

I have to say that the passage of time is what worked the best, ie, he got better as he got older.

I have to say, one of my favorite pics is of him pouting in a chair with his hand on hip...

jd11365
11-28-2004, 09:31 PM
I like to wait until my mother or DH is with me to do them. It's helpful when there is someone to "look like a moron" dancing around with toys and objects to make the kid smile, while the other can pay attention to getting the right shot...

Of course, we don't have an 18 month picture for this reason, so I'm not the best person to ask I suppose... ;)

Good luck!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

TraciG
11-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Good question, I also need an answer ! We tried with Sydney, I want her pics done since she's 1 year old, we actually got 1 good professional pic but that was it ( at BRU ) we have to go back & finish or redo them, well the one, it is VERY hard, my GOD, it's hard for me just to dress Sydney to get out of the house to get the pics done !!!!!!!!!!!!

Momof3Labs
11-28-2004, 11:22 PM
We had a rough time last time, and found that the trick was finding props that Colin liked AND that slowed down his escape from the platform. Our best pics were on a rocking horse and with him climbing a little stepladder (wearing his fireman costume). We were soooo ready to give up, but the photographer talked us into hanging in there a little longer, and we got only two good shots, but at least we got that!

Last spring, they had a bunch of stuffed bunnies with big plastic carrots, and Colin liked those too - he piled the bunnies in his arms and was pretending to feed them the carrot. We've also taken a pic of Colin reading his favorite book!

Tondi G
11-28-2004, 11:55 PM
When DS stopped wanting to take pictures I didn't know what to do. one time we just didn't bother at all.... the next time the ONLY way he would take a picture was in a Car! We have christmas pics from the Picture people in the fire truck with the snowman in the back! Then we have a cute summer picture of DS in the Woodie Station wagon in a hawaiian shirt! He also took a picture in the fishing boat. It had to be a prop he sat in.... the cars were best cause he could "drive" and it gave him something to focus on besides sitting on the floor and smiling!

Good Luck..... this years holiday pic might just have to be a family pic! I had the same issue with buying the portrait club and then DS not wanting to take pics... it was frustrating..... but now he takes pictures like a PRO..... he loves to smile for the camera and will do whatever the photographer asks him to! Nate will get there too... you just may have to be the photographer for the next 6 months to a year!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

JLiebCamm
11-28-2004, 11:55 PM
I think all the "trauma" may have started from a prop! When I took Nate in May, he zeroed in on the firetruck. But the photographer wouldn't let him use it, saying that the Picture People had a new policy that kids under 3 couldn't sit on props. Nate had a major meltdown because all he wanted was the firetruck. Finally (after 20 minutes of crying), the manager popped in and realized that the photographer had misinterpreted the new policy and that the firetruck was not off limits. So Nate did get to sit in it, but at that point his face was red and puffy from crying and did not make for nice pics. Ever since that day, photos have been a no-go.

houseof3boys
11-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Don't go alone! It is way too hard to do it by yourself with a toddler that won't sit still. This way, you can position Nate and your DH can be the distracter so he looks at the camera. You can't ever rely on the photographer since they are so hit or miss these days. :P

cinrein
11-29-2004, 02:34 PM
I agree to try and get DH to go with you if possible. We've been having a hard time with professional pics ever since Anna was 9 mos old. The last time we went I wore all black and ended up holding her in my lap for a few shots. Amazingly enough she was OK after I stepped off the "platform" and went on to take some really good photos all by herself. I know it's hard, but I too have some pouty pics of her that have become favorites.

Cindy and Anna February 2003