PDA

View Full Version : OT: Recs for (pre)teen magazines needed

ethansmom
11-28-2004, 07:55 PM
I thought a magazine subscription might be a good xmas gift for my 12 yr old niece, but I don't want to give her something that may encourage a bad body image, etc. Can anyone recommend a teen magazine that isn't just filled with airbrushed anorexic models and has articles that aren't solely about physical beauty?

TIA!

redhookmom
11-28-2004, 09:13 PM
I like: http://www.allroundmagazine.com/aboutus.html

There is another one that I have to remember the name of...

ETA: Here is the one I was trying to think of:
http://www.newmoon.org/

C99
11-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Can anyone
>recommend a teen magazine that isn't just filled with
>airbrushed anorexic models and has articles that aren't solely
>about physical beauty?

Does such a thing exist??

Kimberly H
11-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Is the American Girl magazine too young for her?

bluej
11-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Alex is 11 and she really loves this magazine. However, there seems to be a pretty big age gap b/w 11 and 12 with girls (or at least in the girls I know). Or it might be that Alex is a 'young' 11. Most of her cousins seemed so much older at 12 and I'm not sure they would have been interested in this magazine. Depends on the girl I guess. You can look at one at B&N and see if it would suit your niece.

emmiem
11-28-2004, 10:17 PM
I have a 14 yo. By the time she was 12, AG was way too young for her. Cricket or Cicada might be a good choice. They are chock full of stories both fiction and non-fiction. She liked Seventeen for a while but it is filled with makeup, fashion, and dieting tips. She has stopped reading it. Is the person interested in dance or a sport. Mine loved Dance Spirit magazine. Now, mine reads Rolling Stone because she in very in to music but that is old for a 12 yo.
Michele

Tondi G
11-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Does she like the outdoors and nature?? maybe National Geographic Kids?

Only other mag that comes to mind is Teen People!

Good Luck!

~Tondi

JennSimm
11-29-2004, 07:32 AM
My daughter is almost 13, and has subscribed to different mags for some time. she has had cosmo girl, american girl, cicada,teen vouge, Girls life, etc. she has found a new magazine called Justine. It is really new, I think like only 3 issues have come out so far. She LOVES this magazine. I asked her why just now, and she said because it has ideas for things to make, its not full of clothes ads that you would never wear, its not full of makeup that you would never wear, and it has just lots of good articles and things that are useful. So...our vote would be for Justine! She doesnt get the other magazines anymore. she says they are a waste..except for cicida..she likes that as well. She also reads the National Geographic when it comes. I may get ther the NG Kids for christmas.

Jenn

babymama
11-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Discovery Girls magazine! It's for girls 8-12 years old. Very focused on empowering girls (not your typical ad-filled mag with pics of anorexic, airbrushed models). I read an article about them (specifically their unique empowerment philosophy) 2 years ago and subscribed for both my nieces that year. http://www.discoverygirls.com/

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

ethansmom
11-29-2004, 11:51 AM
All great suggestions; I'll check them all out!

Discovery Girls sounds exactly what I was looking for...

mattysmom
11-29-2004, 01:29 PM
check out www.teenink.com. it's a magazine written by teens for teens - anyone can submit to the magazine. its goal is to empower teenagers and give them a place to have their voices heard.

(and i'll confess - my parents started the magazine when i was in high school - but it's the only thing like it out there!)