PDA

View Full Version : Short mamas: where do you get your pants?

babymama
11-29-2004, 11:04 AM
I am so over having pants hemmed. What's your source for short-length jeans/casual pants? I'm looking for something I don't have to wear a heel with. Can't for the life of me find something to wear with tennis shoes and casual clogs. this weekend, I tried Old Navy (short length) and Ann Taylor (petite) and struck out (actually the length on both these pants are great with a heeled shoe, but I need something to wear with casual shoes. I have some Crop length yoga pants and jeans from Old Navy that are on the short side (and I think make my legs look shorter) that I'm using now, but would like to find a good length without having to get them hemmed.

You all are such a source of wisdom, so I thought I'd ask here before shopping further.

ETA: I forgot to add in my earlier post that I have an expanding rear-end, so many jeans fit well around my butt and hips, but gape open in the back up near my waist. Hard to describe, but I'm sure you've experienced it if you're at all curvy.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

Marisa6826
11-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Talbots! Lands End is good too, since they'll hem for you.

Also, don't know if you're aware of this, but Nordstrom offers tailoring service on all their clothes.

-m

TraciG
11-29-2004, 11:14 AM
UGH I have the same problem, I always complain about it & now I have the problem with my DD who is only 1 !!!

I just bought INC petite jeans, actually wearing them for the first time right now ! Also have an old pair of LEI in short lenghth, those are found in jumior section at Macy's or Kohls.

Goog luck I know how u feel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

egoldber
11-29-2004, 11:18 AM
How short are you? I find the 27" inseam length at LLBean is perfect for me. I am 5'1".

JulieL
11-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Jc Penney is decent for petites. I also have a pair of Banana Republic jeans and they say regular but the fit me perfect w/loafers and such. I am 5'1" if that gives you an idea. I have a pair of AT but as you said it's better w/a heel type of shoe. I have heard a lot of good things about the petite stuff coming from Victoria Secret if that helps. Anyway good luck shopping!

DebbieJ
11-29-2004, 11:27 AM
I've had good luck in the petites section at JC Penney also.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

babymama
11-29-2004, 11:42 AM
I think I'm about 5'2", maybe 5' 2 1/2".

I forgot to add in my earlier post that I have an expanding rear-end, so many jeans fit well around my butt and hips, but gape open in the back up near my waist. Hard to describe, but I'm sure you've experienced it if you're at all curvy.

Lydia

babymama
11-29-2004, 11:45 AM
I had forgotten about Nordstroms tailoring. I used it once, years ago when I lived in DC on a suit I bought there.

We just got a Nordy's about a year ago in Austin, and I haven't been there much.

Lydia

babymama
11-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks for those specific brand recommendations! We don't have a Macy's in my town, but I'm fairly sure that I've seen INC at Ross. Seems that I'm at Ross about once/week - though, I get a "searching for a needle in a haystack" feeling when I'm there usually. I'm planning a lunch hour shopping trip to the stores recommended here (including Kohl's).

Lydia

wencit
11-29-2004, 12:00 PM
I am a slave to Gap when it comes to jeans and khakis. Their ankle length pants usually fit me perfectly (I'm 5'1).

Good luck to you. Finding pants is so hard when you're short. :(

babymama
11-29-2004, 12:01 PM
JulieL and Deb -
Thanks for the heads up on Penney's. Any specific brand I should look for there? I'm planning a lunch time shopping trip and would love to know what brand you've had good luck with. Can you tell I'm desperate?

Lydia

Marisa6826
11-29-2004, 12:09 PM
They can tweak that waistband thing for you too. I highly recommend Nordy's.

You can even utilise their personal shopper. Call and tell them what you're looking for, they will have everything waiting so you just go into a dressing room, try them on, have them altered and be on your way!

-m

babymama
11-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Good point! I used to get my jeans there. I'll try them again. Thanks!

Lydia

shishamo
11-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Another vote for Gap ankle length! I'm 5'2 1/2", too, and I wear their boot cut jeans/cords/khakis almost exclusively.

I just bought some Hanna pants (cafe pants ans boot cut pants), and I'm hoping they will work :-)

usfrph
11-29-2004, 01:44 PM
I'm 5 feet flat and I usually get my pants from Banana Republic. HTH!

mattiew
11-29-2004, 02:15 PM
GAP (which has been mentioned multiple times) and Ann Taylor Loft petites.

Good luck!
Carrie

P.S. For Mamas with no hips - the yoga pants in the Target girls department fit perfectly!

lukkykatt
11-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Me too for the Gap ankle! I'm 5'2". I also recently started ordering Hanna pants because I had heard that they run short even in the "regular" lenths. I also have some LL Bean jeans in petite. Plus I've been happy lately that there are so many cropped pants out there right now.

amp
11-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Land's End, Eddie Bauer, Lane Bryant and Kohl's.

tarahsolazy
11-29-2004, 03:43 PM
I have the same gaposis on the back end problem that you do Lydia, I so know what you mean! I have recently lucked out with Eddie Bauer jeans, They are natural fit. I also got a pair of, believe it or not, Lee jeans at Kohl's, the "perfect 5" ones, which are great. Bootcut, a little low waisted, in a good way, and not much gap.

Who would have thought we had so many shorties around? (I'm 5'1")

sadie427
11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm 5'2 or 5'3--just got a pair of Ann Taylor Loft Petite stretch jeans that are actually quite short, cannot really be worn w/ heels, so might be worth a try. The rise is nice, just below the belly button, not too low. I also like Gap ankle length and BR petite (free shipping for petite from the website.) The Hanna Cafe Pants also run short IMO.

jubilee
11-29-2004, 05:53 PM
I am also 5'2" and a perfect length on me are short Dockers. I've also found short Levi jeans are perfect. And Liz Claiborn pants too.

jbowman
11-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Lydia,

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but I love Petite Sophisticate (which is really just Casual Corner for Petites). They make fabulous jersey knit black pants that fit me really well (and they are so comfortable, but look professional). I am only 5'1", so I feel your pain!

hwin708
11-29-2004, 07:43 PM
J Crew offers free tailoring as well.

For jeans, I prefer Abercrombie (I'm 5'3). That store caters to the tiny....which may cause me to shop a size up, but they are definitely short enough.

JFC
11-29-2004, 08:31 PM
I think a PP suggested it too, but I buy almost all my pants and jeans at Anne Taylor LOFT. I'm just at 5'3" and their Petites fit great (I also have 'an expanding rear-end' and theirs are the only pants that FIT my hips, etc. and the length). HTH!

June Mommy
11-29-2004, 11:01 PM
I'm 5'0" and get my pants/jeans from Gap and Old Navy (ankle length), Limited/Express (short length, though I haven't bought from there in a while so I don't know if the fit is still the same) and Lerner/NY&Co. I can usually find basics like khakis and jeans, but have a harder time with things like corduroys. BR petites are still too long on me!

himom
11-30-2004, 03:36 AM
I'm 5'1" so I have this problem too. I sometimes luck out with long capris from Old Navy -- they come out exactly the right length for regular slacks.

Sad, huh? :(

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

nov02mom
11-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Victoria's Secret jeans come pretty short..........and, of course, the Gap!

drsweetie
11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
This is OT, but the earlier posts reminded me of this: I am on the short side and my pants have always been too long or in need of hemming, but since having DD my pants now seem too short! Has anyone else had this experience? Did I get taller*, or do my pants just fit differently since I now have a larger rear end and pooch in the front?

Ellen

*This isn't as dumb a question as it might seem since I have no idea how tall I was to begin with. Oh wait. Maybe that is dumb after all.

babymama
11-30-2004, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, with hormone changes and all. Becoming taller seems plausible. My friend's mom had curly, curly hair (tight curls) before her first child. After pregnancy, her hair went straight.

For me, I think my current pants don't fit as well bc of the pooch and rear AND because of shrinkage related to washing and drying my clothes much more frequently now that I have a kiddo who will smear banana and soggy cheeries all over me when I get within 10 feet of him.

Lydia

trentsmom
11-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Well, this might answer your question. I've been losing weight, and I've noticed my pants getting longer.