PDA

View Full Version : Help! bad rash from antibiotics

lisams
11-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Man things just aren't getting better. A week ago she was in the hospital for pneumonia. Friday her lungs were clear, she was eating and feeling better but now she has an awful rash that hurts her so much. She is on Omnicef (an antibiotic) for the pneumonia and it is causing diarrhea. I've been giving her yogurt and trying to get her to eat crackers/toast/bananas but she just won't. She's drinking fine.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what to put on it, I think it's a yeast infection - it's blotchy red around her vulva and bum. She screams in pain when I try to blot it clean with a warm wash cloth. I just want her to be happy and healthy again!

Thanks so much for any help!
Lisa

amp
11-29-2004, 04:01 PM
First, do a search here. I did one when DS had a rash caused by antibiotics and it had loads of info for me to skim through...various techniques and solutions people used.

For us, it was a combination of things we tried. We stopped using wipes, or at least rinsed them out with warm water so there was no "stuff" on them to irritate and burn. We made SURE his rear was dry before we put another dipe back on. We did everything from blotting to blowing/fanning air on it, to just playing with him talking with him while his bare bum hung out a bit till he dried out. Then, before putting on the dipe, we put on a prescription nystatin (and something) cream I worked hard to finagle out of the ped, and a load of Triple Paste from the pharmacy (had to call around to find it) on his bottom. This helped with both the rash and the poop removal the next time around. We also tried very hard to give him bare bottom time in the kitchen for about 15-20 min each night till the rash was gone. We also fed yogurt, but I don't know if it helped. Can't hurt if she'll finally accept some. Keep trying.

Some people also recommended pro-biotics, which I think you can get at places like Whole Foods, but we were pretty far along w/ the healing when that was recommended. You might want to consider it.

Good luck! I know this is miserable! Hugs to you and DD, and I hope she's on the mend soon!

momma_boo
11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Oh, poor baby.

Last winter, actually it was in February, DD was on omnicef after a bad double ear infection that didn't respond to amoxicillin. She also had bad diarrhea from it and got the worst diaper rash of her life. I used triple paste (in combination with as much diaper-less time as I could manage to get some fresh air in there) and it helped a lot.

Is she eating the yogurt? I'm not sure from your message if she was eating that ok. If not, you can always give her the YoBaby drink. Our ped also suggested getting acidophilus and sprinkling that on her food.

Coincidentally, DD is on omnicef again right now for a sinus infection and hasn't had any major issues with it, thank goodness. Although I've been giving her yogurt/yogurt drink every day!

I hope she feels better soon!

lisams
11-29-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm going to search for some triple paste, thanks for that tip. She will eat a little bit of yogurt here and there but it's a struggle. Maybe she'll do better with the yogurt drinks since she is drinking well.

Thanks so much for your help. I hope your little one is feeling better soon too and stays rash free!

Lisa

lisams
11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks so much for all of the advice. Sounds like a lot of people have had good luck with the triple paste - I'm going to call around to find it. I think I'm going to call the ped also just to see if they can give me something for it because I do think it's a yeast infection.

Thanks!!!!
Lisa

momma_boo
11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Definitely call around for the Triple Paste - you have to ask the Pharmacist since most places keep it in the pharmacy counter.

Last time we ran out, DH ended up at 3 different pharmacies before finding some!

brigmaman
11-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Brig has had yeast infections from antibiotics before-and he's definitely been on Omnicef. The ped gave us a prescription (can't think of the name- something pretty common) for it and it cleared up quickly. I thought it was a diaper rash at first- but it only got worse with A&D.
Sorry to hear your little one has had a rough week. Hope she's feeling better soon!

Melanie
11-29-2004, 05:09 PM
When Ds had antiobiotic-induced yeasty rashes:

On the rash, wipe with water...first layer of lotramine(with athlete's foot stuff), second layer of Triple Paste (OTC diaper rash creme kept behind Pharmacist's counter), third layer of petroleum jelly to keep it all on even after she wets.

Internally I gave Ds' Baby Probiotics to work on the yeast overgrowth from the inside out (not w/in 2 hours of the antiobiotics, though, or they will kill the probiotics). We use Natren's Life Start, but whatever you use, if it's not refridgerated in a dark glass container, it's pretty worthless. I mixed a little and gave by dropper since that is what he was getting used to, from the antiobiotics, anyway.

Good Luck...I remember all to well how awful that was for Ds.

blnony
11-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Audrey had a bad time with Omnicef once too.
I just water to clean, pat dry and a very thin layer of Lotrim (the fungus fighting cream in the men's section at the store) and covered that with a thick layer of Triple Paste, and it did the trick. My Ped. also said to only use the antifungel cream a few times a day and just a few days in length.

AvasMama
11-29-2004, 06:46 PM
We're going through the same thing. Ava's on Omnicef for an ear infection and quickly developed a diaper rash that was so bad she was actually bleeding. I used Aquaphor on her until the part that was bleeding seemed to heal a little (about a day) and then switched to Balmex yesterday. This morning it is MUCH better -- almost cleared up completely, but we'll keep using it after every diaper change until she's off the Omnicef.

I, too, thought it was a yeast infection at first, but it turned out to be just a very bad rash. Hope your DD is feeling better soon!

Robyn & Ava

kalebsmama
11-29-2004, 09:31 PM
We're going through this too. DD is on Ceftin and the rash is awful. I haven't come up with the right thing to clear it up yet. I am going to have to find some Triple Paste. Kind of sad - I'm a pharmacist and I don't even know what's in it! I'll have to look it up. That's what I get for not working in almost 3 years! I worked in a hospital pharmacy and we didn't carry the Triple Paste, but we did make a concoction that we called Magic Butt Paste or Cream. I'm going to call in for the recipe and see if someone there will make me some.

Good luck - sorry I don't have any advice, just sympathy for what you're going through.

ktdid74
11-29-2004, 09:42 PM
My DS had pneumonia when he was 17 months and had to be on 5 different antibiotics over a period of time due to allergies and severe side effects. He ended up with an *awful* bleeding raw diaper rash d/t diarrhea and yeast. The pharmacist (came to know her very well) recommended a mixture of 1part lotrimin and 3 parts cortisone cream. I would mix it up before each diaper change, only clean his bottom with water (sometimes with the sprayer in my sink!), then slather the stuff on. Worked like a charm!! I normally use Desitin creamy but the zinc would burn his bum even more. Good luck!!