PDA

View Full Version : Did you/would you go out of your way to get thimerosal-free flu vaccine?

deborah_r
11-29-2004, 04:22 PM
My ped told me they had it, but then came back in the office and said they had run out and only had the one with thimerosal left. She didn't think it was anything to be too concerned about, but I would like to keep his mercury exposure to the minimum.

I wasn't even going to get him a flu shot, but I am considering putting him in daycare a couple of days per week soon, so I thought maybe he should have it.

Judegirl
11-29-2004, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't give dd anything with thimerosal in it. How long before they get the thimerosol-free shots? Is there anywhere else you could get the shot if you want it before day care begins?

Jude

Melanie
11-29-2004, 04:55 PM
I would absolutely avoid any vaccines with that in them.

DebbieJ
11-29-2004, 04:55 PM
I would go out of my way to avoid the thimerosal.

If your ped doesn't get it in time, you could try mine.

Dr. Paul Fleiss
1824 Hillhurst Ave
Los Angeles, CA
(323) 664-1977

He's in Los Feliz, so it's not too far for you. Explain your situation and I bet they could help you out even though you're not a regular patient.

ETA: I suggest this because last time I was there, I overheard a conversation amongst the office staff regarding this--someone who wasn't a regular patient wanted to come in for a vaccine only and I'm pretty sure they were going to accomodate her/him.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

Melanie
11-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Wow, Dr. Fleiss? Lucky you!

Along those lines, I wonder if Dr. Jay Gordon might have some?

My guess is, if they are handing out the thimerosal, what they really have is the adult version and they are giving lighter doses for kids.

Marisa6826
11-29-2004, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't give Sophie a shot with thimerisol either.

-m

slknight
11-29-2004, 08:49 PM
>My guess is, if they are handing out the thimerosal, what
>they really have is the adult version and they are giving
>lighter doses for kids.

Yep. It's a half-dose, I believe. That's what they did here (unbeknownst to me until AFTER DS received it). :( I didn't take him back for the second dose because of that.

jd11365
11-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Yep. We took it and didn't think twice...ok, maybe twice...but honestly, after seeing how miserable she was with just a chest cold/ear infection, I felt like it was better to get it than not. I was told the amount is less than what's in can of tunafish. She's alive and kicking...sometimes literally ;), so I have no regrets.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

anutalp
11-29-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm with you :) I took my DS for the flu vacccine today.
The benefit of the vaccine is much greater than the risks.
BTW regarding the risks:
There is only one study that came from England that tried to make a connection between the thimerosal (or other stuff in shots) and autism, ADDS and other forms of brain damage. After that many studies were done that couldn't find the same connection. Since this study was out 14 from 15 scientists from original study withdraw their participation and the only one that was left was found to be paid by some law firm that wanted to accuse vaccine-making companies. Sounds like a conspiracy, right? :)
I think it's too much fuss going on, well, like usual...

dowlinal
11-29-2004, 11:11 PM
I had to make this decision in October. My ped had the regular shots in early Oct but wasn't getting the thimerosal free ones until Nov. I was very worried that they wouldn't get them at all plus Madeline needed to have two shots about one month apart so I was also concerned about waiting until mid-Dec for the second shot.

I ended up giving her the thimerosal one for the first shot and then she got the thimersol-free one for the second shot. I felt that she needed to have the flu shot because I work full time out of house, my husband is a police officer so he comes in contact with a lot of sick people, and Madeline attends germboree. For us the risks associated with the thimerosal were less then the risks associated with her contracting the flu.

missmelis01
11-30-2004, 12:07 AM
It's hard for me to say -- my ped uses only thimerosal-free vaccinations, so I didn't have to make that choice. But many of my friends' peds don't use thimerosal-free shots and while they all debated the issue, they each felt the pros of getting the flu shot outweighed the cons of thimerosal....

8isenough
11-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Deborah...personally we have never gotten any of the kids flu vaxxes. I agree with most of the PP's...wait and do not give any vax with mercury or thermisol. Strengthen her immune system with some Vitamin C supplements in the meantime and avoid exposure in large groups of people. If you would like more information on natural immune builders so as to not necessitate a flu vax, please let me know. :)

Sterling