PDA

View Full Version : OT: Christmas cookie recipes needed

janeybwild
11-29-2004, 05:08 PM
I saw Sharon's (sbirmantaz) previous post on Christmas cookies, but am hoping there are more out there. I am a cookie novice/baking idiot/kitchen moron. We just moved to a new neighborhood which does a Christmas cookie exchange. I'd like to participate, and will need 3 dozen cookies. I would buy them but this would seem to violate the spirit of the activity! I'm thinking 2 different kinds? I need easy, idiot proof, cute looking cookie recipes that can be made a day ahead, and will keep for a few days without losing their pizzazz. Help! I wish I could start us off by sharing, but you just read about my level of skill in the baking department. Isn’t it fun to get festive? :)

mharling
11-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Here are two of my favorites. They are both extremely easy (no oven required!) and you can even freeze them.

PEANUT CLUSTERS
2 8 oz. Hershey bars
1 lb. almond bark
Small chunk of paraffin
18 oz. unsalted peanuts

Melt first 3 ingredients in a double boiler (you can borrow mine if you don't have one). Stir in peanuts. Drop by the spoonful onto waxed paper and let harden.

CAPTAIN CRUNCH COOKIES
2 lb. almond bark
3 c. Rice Krispies
3 c. Peanut Butter Captain Crunch
3 c. mini marshmallows
3 c. unsalted peanuts

Melt almond bark (can be done in the microwave) and stir in rest of ingredients. Drop by the spoonful onto waxed paper and let harden.

These wouldn't qualify as cookies, but you could also do snack size bags of Party Mix or Puppy Chow (Chex cereal with a yummy coating). Let me know if you'd like recipes.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

kelly ann
12-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Mary-

I have a silly question...

What is almond bark? Where do I find it?

mharling
12-02-2004, 10:14 PM
When melted, it is commonly used to dip pretzels in. I don't know what's in it and can't really give a better description than that! It's sold in a 'block' of roughly 12-16 squares and usually found in the baking aisle at most grocery stores.

ETA: You want the white or vanilla kind. It also comes in chocolate.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

C99
12-02-2004, 10:20 PM
If you have a cookie press, this recipe from Epicurious is divine (read the user comments and cut the amount of flour -- I used 2.5 cups to 3 sticks of butter) and meets all of your requirements. Mine kept in an airtight container for about 5 days before I ate them all!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/10968

Tondi G
12-02-2004, 11:55 PM
My SIL makes cookies for everyone for Christmas every year. She has a simple butter cookie recipe that she tweaks a little for different cookies. ONe is a thumb print cookie.... and she fills teh spot with raspberry and an Apple jelly that is green (festive looking red and green!). She rolls some dough out and adds crushed almonds and cuts them in stars. She makes cookie sticks and dips one end into chocolate. There is a lot you can do to change up one simple recipe instead of making 3 separate types of cookies!

Just a thought.... I am not a baker at all but I can get her recipe if you want it! For DH and I it's those little squares you pop out of the tray... ya got cookies in 12 minutes or something! One of these days I'll have to be adventerous and try baking with my kiddo..... it'll be an experince for the both of us! LOL

Good Luck!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
lil man #2 edd 5/5/05