PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made a train table? x-post from Around the house...

brigmaman
11-29-2004, 06:22 PM
I was thinking of having my brother make ds a train table for Christmas. I'd rather it be made of solid wood than particle board and I haven't seen many in person to check them out. Has anyone made their own?

pritchettzoo
11-29-2004, 08:42 PM
I haven't yet, but I want to. I'm going to use the PBK one as a model. If there's a PBK near your brother, ask him to go check it out IRL. Most people who are handy like that tend to like to see things and then draw from there, KWIM? I think it would be fairly cheap with pine 1x2s and 2x2s and some decent plywood (grade will depend on if you'll paint or stain it). The PBK one looks simple enough for me to say, "Hey, I could do that!" (Of course, someone else will be operating the heavy machinery and I will be, shall we say, supervising? ;))

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

billysmommy
11-29-2004, 10:22 PM
My dad is making Billy one for Christmas this year. He is doing the train surface of it with pressed board - nicer and smoother than particle board, plus it will be painted. He is doing the sides and legs out of birch (I think that's what he said, I'll double check though). We are making it a little smaller than the ones you usually buy at the store because it is going to stay up in Billy's room. It is going to be 2 feet by 3 feet (plus that's the exact size the pressed board comes in) and my dad said that if in the future we want a bigger one he can make one the exact same size and we can connect them.
Let me know if you have any other questions :)

himom
11-30-2004, 04:15 AM
We thought about making one, but since space is a premium we compromised. We found a table at Walmart that is 2.5' by 4' and is about 9" off the ground. The height is perfect for DS to walk around it pushing his trains, and the size is big enough for a decent sized track.
Best of all, it folds down flat and slides behind the sofa when we don't want it out.

I keep forgetting to do it, but I'm planning adding on the playmat or the board (not sure which one yet) to make it look more "Thomas" like.

They also sell plans for train tables on ebay, if you wanted to give your brother something to go on. Here's one I just found:

http://tinyurl.com/6uyxh

I hope that helps!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

brigmaman
11-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Anna, is there anything you DON'T do? I almost asked my original question "Has anyone's dh made a train table." Guess that would have been discriminatory.