PDA

View Full Version : Renters Rights- Security Deposit problem

Jen841
11-30-2004, 08:54 AM
We rented a Corporate Apt for 3 months. We just got back our Security Dep and more than 1/2 ($280) was taken for petty things (new pans for under the burners on the stove ($44), dirty counter ($20), dirty floors ($20-30), screens and windows dirty ($60), dirty shower door ($40), stains on carpet ($45)...) I am outraged b/c I spent a lot of time cleaning the place!

I will admit that the pans under the burners were not 'new' but they were cleaned. The shower door I scrubbed and scrubbed and the end result was not crystal clear, The stains on the carpet were sited when we moved in and noted by the landlord.

What do I do? I sang their praises at my closing and prior. The people we bought from are even living in a unit there temporarily now.

Am I responsible for leaving the place 100% like new?
Am I responsible for screens and windows of a place on the second floor of an apartment building?

Better Business Bureau?

I called the place and left a message a week ago regarding this and my call has not been returned. I want to tell my agent and the selling agent that I recommended this place without knowing of this situation, and now no longer recommend then. They are both from the "big" agencies around here.

I have not cashed the check b/c I fear that says I accept this. $280 is not worth getting legal counsel, but I want to!

I also fear that the walk through was after the furniture was picked up, so the movers (the furniture rental place THEY work with) could have made some of the mess.

Sorry, I am so worked up again about this!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Marisa6826
11-30-2004, 09:01 AM
I would check your lease and see what it says. If it designates a requirement for 'broom clean' then they owe you the money back. Do you have any sort of documentation noting the stains the landlord was aware of?

If it says identical condition to that which you found it in, then I think they are in the clear.

As far as you wanting to retract your recommendations, what's done is done. I would give your buyer a heads up though, just out of courtesy. You can continue to try and call the listing/selling agents. But don't make it your life's mission.

I personally think that they're being a little OCD about it, but I don't think you have much recourse.

-m

Jen841
11-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Thank you! I can not locate the lease (moving chaos!), but I know they have note of the stains.

starnight
11-30-2004, 10:33 AM
For renting nearly all of my life, I ask did you take pitchers of the place when you moved out? Also that if you really don’t have any evidence on how you left the apartment (i.e. the dirty counters, floors, stovetop,) then the bad new is that the court will 99% side with the corporate company.

When you move in the company is suppose to give you a list of items that if damaged at time of leave they will charge you an amount.

I know its not what you really want to hear but it is really hard to get all of your money back from these people. I my self is in a battle with a company. They didn’t give me any money back or a list of damages. I’m thinking about getting a lawyer my self only because they told me that I didn’t leave a forwarding address. Well I sent my forwarding address certified they got it. I follow up and they tell me they lost it. ARRGGG I sent another certified letter telling them I want all of it back by the end of this month and still nothing. The thing that kills me is this was back in August.

I'm sorry if i really didn't help you I guess I have frustrations of my own.

Also you could look up on-line for renters rights and look under your state and it will beable to tell you what if anything you could do.

new_mommy25
11-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Jen,
I wish I could help you but I'm afraid I can't. I have been burned in the same situations as you did and it really, really stinks. In my case it was a $800 deposit and I got about $300 back :( Our landlors was just a **** and charged us for stupid stuff like the curtains being down . Well they were down when we moved in- I never put them up! Also fot the bathroom which he said was dirty etc. My roommate and I had busted out butts cleaning out the place when we moved so it was a huge slap in the face. But we just chalked it up as a learning experience and moved on. Honestly I didn't think it would have been worth the time going to court even though I think we would have won. (We had a few other issues with the landlord and that's why we moved out the second the lease was up).

When I moved into the next joint I was informed that I just had to do a basic cleaning and they would deduct a carpet shampoo from the deposit. I actually cleaned that place LESS than the previous one and still got my money back.

It sounds like you just had a really anal rental company. At least you have a new house to enjoy :)

Jen841
11-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks! I will look up rights in PA. If nothing else, I should get the $45 for the carpet stains that were already there.

Once again, another message not answered today "I will get right back to you." I did confirm that the date of the inspection was AFTER the rental company picked up the furnishings. I figure that accounts for the floors, so maybe a bit more?

Really, is a renter responsible for windows and screens on a second floor unit? Come on!

emmiem
11-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Do Not read. testing avatar

starnight
12-01-2004, 06:13 AM
I would and call the moving company and see if they would reimburse you for the shampoo of the carpet also you should be able to get the $$ back once you show them the documentation of the stains also have you tried calling the rental place and tell them the stains where documented?

Another question what kind of windows where on the 2nd floor newer ones or old ones? I know that the newer ones pop open so that you can wash them from the inside out. I just found that you may not have to pay for the stove top. I found this....

How Secure is Your Security Deposit?

Your entire deposit (plus interest, in some states) or

A written, itemized statement describing how the deposit was applied to back rent, cleaning or repairs, plus the remainder of the deposit.
The general rule is that you are not responsible for normal wear and tear. If you cause damage by your unreasonable carelessness or deliberate misuse, however, you must pay for it. And you must leave a rental at least as clean as it was when you moved in. For example, if an entryway carpet must be replaced because it has simply worn out, that's the landlord's responsibility. But the cost of replacing the dining room carpet because your fish tank sprang a leak will properly come out of the deposit.

Because "normal wear and tear" can be interpreted many different ways, disputes often arise. The bottom line is that the better you itemize and document the condition of your unit when you move in, the better case you'll have against a landlord who tries to gouge you on the way out.