PDA

View Full Version : What's a mom to wear?

emelsea
11-30-2004, 12:06 PM
With the holidays upon us, I have several holiday parties coming up. My baby was born 9/30, and I haven't made it back into my pre-preggo party clothes. My dilemma is that I can't afford to spend $$$ on clothes that I do not intend to wear for long. I'm now a SAHM, so I've been getting by in sweats, but I really want to look nice for the Christmas parties. Unfortunately, I will be seeing many of the same people at these parties, so I can't even squeak through with one nice outfit.

Any advice? My main issue is my lower half - that darn mummy tummy is two sizes bigger than what my arse is wearing these days!!

bluej
11-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Perhaps a black dress that is flattering (hides ;) ) your tummy? And then use different accessories for the parties? Like a pretty scarf or wrap at one party, a chunky necklace at another, a brooch, etc. Make it so the dress displays the accessories and that's what people notice/remember.

brigmaman
11-30-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm having the same issues. I only have about 10 lbs. to lose to get back to my pre-preggo weight, but I'm at least a size bigger than normal. I wanted to do jeans, a fitted blazer or wrap sweater and a camisole underneath, but the idea of buying jeans looking like this is discouraging. I also don't have the extra cash to throw around.
So my new plan is a black skirt, a few shirts that I can wear now and when I lose the weight, and tall black boots. Of all that, all I own are the boots. I've thought of borrowing from my sister who is about 1 size bigger than I am as well. Maybe something like that (borrowing) is an option for you?
ETA- maybe a new haircut, eyebrow wax and manicure (none of which I can afford, but all of which I could use) will take the focus off MY ginourmous arse! ;)

brigmaman
11-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Dang double post!

JLiebCamm
11-30-2004, 05:05 PM
I was 4 days postpartum for Christmas 2002 and wore a longer black velvet dressy shirt from Ann Taylor over dressy pants (although I could have done a skirt too). The shirt was very slimming. I dressed it up with very sparkly jewelry. If you had a shirt like this you could change the bottoms and change the accessories to change the look.

C99
11-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Marshall's! I was just in there today and they have a lot of cute holiday things for not a ton of money. I was wishing that I wasn't pregnant because some of the stuff was sooo cute!

KrisM
11-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Maybe try a resale shop for inexpensive clothes. I haven't shopped at them much lately, but I bought dressy maternity clothes there last year. It was nice having a large selection at good prices.

Mommy_Again
11-30-2004, 10:45 PM
I was just thinking about this...just had my 10 year high school reunion and was wondering what I would have done is DS was born in October 2004 instead of 2003. Can you play up the great mommy cleavage and let people focus on that instead of the mid-section? In a tasteful way, of course!

jenhorne
12-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Same issue here! I've still got about 15 lbs/two sizes before fitting into my pre-pregnancy clothes. I ended up reluctantly buying a pair of dressy pants that fit and a poncho. I felt pretty comfortable in it. I didn't worry about the "outfit recycling"... so far I've worn it to Avery's Baptism, Thanksgiving, and I'll be wearing it for Christmas (and probably New Years too)!!

Jen & Avery 8/23/04