PDA

View Full Version : When did your DC Crawl?? And what counts???

aliceinwonderland
11-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Erik has the foot motion down so well, has for weeks now. He also gets from one point to the other pretty ok (but in a haphzard manner)--His arms on the other hand, he just can't figure them out. The moment he gets that, he'll be off and "running", because his legs really lift him way up, doing these amazing baby push-ups, and also getting on his knees and sort-of hopping like a little bunny...When are they supposed to craw???

My SIL's kid is WALKING up to 10 steps at 9 months-- So did DH...I doubt Erik will walk that early, and he does not crawl yet. Anyway, I do not care too much about timing, I am just wondering how long it takes from one milestone to the other...My kid's timing is very strange, I think!!

mudder17
11-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Remember, some babies never crawl, as crawling is not a necessary milestone. But Kaya's efforts are the total opposite of Erik's. She's been dragging herself around with her arms (commando-style) for close to a couple months now. It's only been in the last few weeks that she's included leg motions, although until only a couple weekends ago, her feet didn't really do anything to help with her movement. In fact, doing these leg pushups is how she learned how to sit up by herself. She would dig into her stuffed lamb with her hands and face and then use her feet to get her butt way in the air until it plopped backwards and on the crib (yes she learned in her crib during those naps when she should have been asleep, lol!). Then she would lift up her upper body. She can sit up a little more elegantly now, but it was totally hilarious to watch her in the video monitor.

In any case, she still doesn't crawl in the traditional sense of using her hands and knees, and I don't know if she'll ever do that, since her method seems to work just fine for her (I'm actually amazed by her upper body/arm strength because she really can drag herself around with very minimal effort from her legs).

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

aliceinwonderland
11-30-2004, 12:44 PM
That's interesting, I did not know crawling was not a neccesary milestone. Hmm.

trumansmom
11-30-2004, 05:33 PM
DS was crawling at 7 1/2 months and walking by 9 1/2 months.

DD has just started crawling backwards in a funky combination of belly up and commando type crawling, but doesn't seem as in as much of a hurry to be mobile as DS did. She always seems sort of amused and baffled when she ends up somewhere other than where she began.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

aliceinwonderland
11-30-2004, 05:39 PM
Oh wow, it just took Truman 2 months to go from crawling to walking, huh?
I feel bad for poor Erik...he gets so frustrated with himself. His whole body will be off the floor in a super-push up, but yet he is not getting anywhere fast...:)

mudder17
11-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Yeah, actually, my neighbor's 2 year old son skipped crawling completely. He would just sit there and happily play with toys and then one day he decided he'd pull himself up into a standing position and walk. :) Turns out that his father did the same thing. I've also known kids who learned to walk first and then figured out how to crawl after the fact.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

Elilly
11-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Crawling at 8 months and walking at 14 months. I had friends whose children were walking holding on to things when DD had just started to crawl. My ped said htat the most important thing is that they are trying to become mobile, not how they go about it. Atleast at Erik's age. HTH.

Saartje
11-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Ishie is doing the same thing as Erik -- crawling with his legs but not with his arms. He had figured out, just before we left for Thanksgiving, that he could crawl with his legs and hop with both arms at once; but that didn't work as well on carpet over the holiday, and now he seems to have forgotten how. (It did make for some amusing moments, though, when my father decided to demonstrate crawling for his latest grandson.) What he did figure out how to do, my mother called "inchworming": he'd crawl forward with his legs while leaving his hands in place, scrunching up his body until he couldn't any more; then he'd let go with his hands, lie down on his tummy, and push back up into crawling position. He could move several inches that way.

Now that we're back home, though, he's sliding himself around on his belly on the hardwood floor again, and getting up on his hands and knees when he wants to look at something. He seems to have decided sitting up is more interesting than he had previously thought, though; did it by himself last night, just for fun.

Now that I've done my bit of bragging ;), I'll say that your kid's timing sounds absolutely normal. A bit strange, sure, but I think all kids are! It's pretty common for a baby to hit several milestones in a row, and then take a rest before mastering the next few. (Kind of a growth spurt in learning.) So the amount of time it takes from one milestone to the next is highly variable -- for just one child, much less between different children. And as PPs have said, it's not an indication of any problem for a child to never crawl. (I know one of my cousins didn't crawl, but rolled all over the house until the day he decided to stand up.)

JMS
11-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Ironically Honor started crawling last Tuesday at about 9 1/2 months. She really went right to it. For about a week prior, she would get into position and rock and then get frustrated and sit down. Then last week, she just starting moving.. in the typical crawling fashion.

marinkitty
11-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Mia was up on all fours rocking a little before 8 months, crawling in reverse around 8 months but not really crawling forward until 8.5 months. She started to truly crawl and pull up to standing in the same week - just before 9 months. She walked at 13 months and is now a non-stop 20 month old runner, jumper, you name it. Don't fret - he'll do it in his own good time (or just go straight to crusing the furniture).

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

muskiesusan
11-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Alex started crawling well at 6.5 months. Nick didn't crawl until 9 months and walking at 13 months. I think I preferred the latter, easier to watch!!!

My sister's baby, born a week after Alex, has been crawling since 5.5 months, pulling up at 6, and is now cruising just shy of 7 months. She is going crazy keeping an eye on him; she told me today he has all this power, but doesn't know how to use it!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04

sdbc
11-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Rory started crawling well at 5.5 months. Before that, she did what it sounds like Erik is doing. She looked like an inchworm. She would push her butt way up in the air with her legs, then slide forward with her face down on the ground! Then lift her head up to see where she was. Then she would repeat. I was constantly worried she would get rug-burn on her face! She just started pullng up to standing well last weekend (at 6.5 months). I hope she holds off on walking for at least a few months...