PDA

View Full Version : pregnancy questions from a first-timer...

mommy_someday
11-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Dh took me to the hospital yesterday morning because I passed out in the shower (luckily, I sat down when I felt lightheaded, so I didn't fall!). They hooked me up to the external fetal monitor and Dh noticed that I was having contractions. (We are not quite 33 weeks) He would tell me when a contraction was coming on and apparently, I've been having them for several weeks - I just thought DS had his feet jammed in my ribs! The nurse-midwife at the hospital seemed really concerned that I was having contractions, even though I could hardly feel them, and she gave me a shot to make them stop. I guess my question is, do Braxton-Hicks contractions not show up on the monitor? I thought practice contractions were normal at this point - is there a difference between BH contractions and what I was having yesterday (and now, as a matter of fact)? Should I be worried about it everytime I feel one? The nurse-midwife said that I am dilated to 1 cm, but my cervix is still really thick so she wasn't concerned about that. Maybe I'm just being a big dummy, but what's the big deal if the contractions don't hurt?

TIA!

deenass
11-30-2004, 01:27 PM
You're not a dummy at all. I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions of labor, in the beginning (and for some for a while) contractions DON'T hurt, you may seem a little uncomfotable but you're not writihing around in pain. I remember walking around the L&D floor thinking, "these are contractions? what was I worried about? This isn't bad, I can do this, are these really contractions?" It's a progressive thing, so progress faster than others.

I'm not commenting on what you were having, but it would be normal for you to not realize that you are having actual contractions.

missym
11-30-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm glad you're OK, Erica! I also had early contractions around 32 weeks, and I didn't know I was having them, either. I'd gone in to be monitored because the baby wasn't moving as much as usual. She was fine... maybe just tired from being squeezed.

I think what worried my OB was that the contractions were regular (plus I was 1cm dilated/75% effaced). They put me on medication for a few days to stop them, and the rest of my pregnancy was uneventful.

HTH!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
20 months and counting!

Marisa6826
11-30-2004, 02:16 PM
The only difference between BH and real contractions is that BH stop if you change positions, go pee, drink fluids. Most importantly, BH don't change your cervix (opening or thickness).

The fainting isn't uncommon at all. It's usually from low blood sugar or low blood pressure. I get dizzy in the shower too from the hot water.

I'm surprised they medicated you for the contractions.

Just make sure that you can get the BH to stop with some of the above suggestions. You should try laying on your left side for about a half hour after peeing and having a big huge glass of water.

Good luck

-m

essnce629
11-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Real contractions aren't always that painful. I didn't have any "painful" contractions until 55 minutes before my son was born. Up until that point they weren't any worse than my normal menstrual cramps. I had a natural home and water birth.

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif One year and counting!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif
"The greatest of life's joys is to be a mother. The second greatest is to be a midwife."

jk3
11-30-2004, 07:41 PM
It's not a shocker that they medicated you if you were having regular or semi-regular. I had a similar deal but a lot earlier - 26 weeks - and was given a mag. sulf. drip at the hospital. I did not have to go on other medications but was put on modified bedrest despite lack of cervical change or any dilation.

Drink lots + lots of water + try to take it easy. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

psophia17
12-01-2004, 12:23 AM
I was having real contractions about 5 min apart when I went in for my scheduled C-section, and I wasn't feeling anything that I hadn't been feeling for weeks. My belly would tighten all the way around, but it didn't hurt at all.

The maternity nurse was surprised I wasn't in any pain, and said that she would've been shocked if I didn't go into labor within hours after I went in to be prepped for the C/S.

starrynight
12-01-2004, 12:45 AM
>The only difference between BH and real contractions is that
>BH stop if you change positions, go pee, drink fluids. Most
>importantly, BH don't change your cervix (opening or
>thickness).
>
>The fainting isn't uncommon at all. It's usually from low
>blood sugar or low blood pressure. I get dizzy in the shower
>too from the hot water.
>
>I'm surprised they medicated you for the contractions.
>
>Just make sure that you can get the BH to stop with some of
>the above suggestions. You should try laying on your left side
>for about a half hour after peeing and having a big huge glass
>of water.

Marisa is right and this is what I was going to say. Good luck!!!

jubilee
12-01-2004, 02:23 AM
With my second son, I was having contractions every 3-5 minutes when I went in to be induced- but I didn't know it until the nurse showed me on the monitor. And I'd already had one child, so you'd think I would know! So instead of being induced, I was "augmented"... whatever. I think contraction pain can be different with each pregnancy too- at least it was with mine. Hope all goes well for your remaining eight weeks!!

JulieL
12-01-2004, 10:26 AM
BUMP - And second question did anyone having BH get a muscle relaxer from their OB? I have a friend who doc gave her a muscle relaxer and although it made her very tired, she loved it. Any input?