PDA

View Full Version : How soon after discharge did you bring your NB to the Ped?

Marisa6826
11-30-2004, 04:56 PM
I just got off the phone with my Ped and he told me that he wants to see Amelia within 48 hrs of discharge.

I explained that I would be in the hospital 5-6 days, and he said that he still wanted to see her to make sure she wasn't losing weight.

I honestly don't think I will be mobile enough to get to the Ped, walk to the office and accomplish all that's involved in an office visit.

Doesn't a LC have a scale? Should I see if the doula can get one?

The Ped said that I could send Amelia with Jonathan. Well, being he's STILL afraid to drive and has no clue how to get to the Ped, let alone get back home, that's not an option.

I'm not sending Amelia out on her own with the doula either.

Suggestions? Just suck it up and take extra Percocet???

AGGGGHHHHH!

-m

mharling
11-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Wouldn't it be odd for a baby NOT to still be losing weight in that timeframe?

That being said, we were at the ped's office unexpectedly the day after discharge. Barring the problems we were having, they wouldn't have normally wanted to see us until the first week after birth (which in our case would have been well after 48 hours of being discharged).

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

chlobo
11-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Will the baby be at home or at the hospital? I would think that the hospital can weight the baby.

Another optoin would be to rent a baby scale. One of the LC I saw had them for rent really cheap. Then you or Johnathan or the doula could weight the baby and report the results.

pritchettzoo
11-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Let's see, Gracie was born Tuesday night, we were discharged Friday afternoon, and we were at the ped's Tuesday morning. We were supposed to go on Monday morning, but I couldn't get an appointment with the new office in time. I *hated* the office we originally went with, and had to scramble around on Monday to find a new doctor.

I think a week(ish) post-birth is standard.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

C99
11-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Nate was discharged on a Saturday. We were in the ped's office on Monday, and then the following Monday, and the next Monday after that, and the next Monday after that. And then we got to not see the ped for a whole month (until his 2 month c/u).

babyready
11-30-2004, 05:11 PM
My DD and I both had to go to the Dr. the day after we got out of the hospital. I didn't have a c/s but we managed ok. We had been in the hospital for three days after she was born. My appt. was to monitor my blood pressure and hers was due to jaundice. We also had to go the next day and the following MOnday and the Dr. was an hour away! Does seem kind of odd to see you just because of weight.

Anyway, it wasn't that big of a deal, but again, I did not have a c/s.

HTH

Marisa6826
11-30-2004, 05:14 PM
The Ped wants to see her 48hrs AFTER discharge. So she'd be about 5 days old.

I seem to recall Sophie was 2 weeks old at her first visit.

-m

egoldber
11-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Well, I was at Target with Sarah within 48 hours post discharge from my C-section LOL! But I was not allowed to drive for 2 weeks following the C-section, something else to consider. I also had help. Isn't someone staying with you? Can't they go to the ped with you?

chlobo
11-30-2004, 05:18 PM
When I was calling around to talk to peds. the time between discharge & first appointment varied from 2 days to 2 weeks. I ended up going with a 2 day doctor.

macassi
11-30-2004, 05:28 PM
All 3 kids were "expected" to go at 2 weeks of age. Abbie ended up going the day after we discharged because she had a heart murmor that the hospital wanted us to follow up with our pediatrician.

I haven't had a c-section, so I may be completely off base (and you can choose to ignore me), but I can tell you that for me, it was easier to get up and around with each successive child. With CJ, I thought it was a huge deal to go to Costco to order prints for the baby cards several days after I got home. By the time Abbie came, I was happily out and about with her from the first day... then again, our house was under construction so I was just happy to be out of it!

wagner36
11-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Our first appointment w/ Charlie was when he was 4 days old - so two days after discharge, in my case. Our ped does standard 4-day, 2-week, 1 month and 2 month appointments for newborns, although I have heard that they sometimes let you off the hook with your 2nd or 3rd kids for the 4-day appointment, as long as they didn't lose too much weight in the hospital. Charlie never lost an ounce since my milk came in super early, so maybe if she gains weight or stays the same at the hospital they'll let you off the hook?

I waddled into that 4-day appointment in pretty bad shape still (though nothing like a c-section, I'm sure, my disgusting pad did fall out in the parking lot because I was wearing a skirt. I made DH pick it up and to my surprise he still hasn't brought that one back to haunt me. Gross, huh?), and they doctor's office was seriously accomodating - they brought us to a room right away, and the nurse took the diaper bag away from me immediately and carried it.

I would have the doula drive - you can sit in the back with Amelia, and she can drop you off the at door. I'm sure the nurses will be helpful once you get they - if 48 hours after discharge is the office policy, they probably see a ton of new moms every week who just had a c-section! I would NOT let Jonathan behind the wheel. That would give me much too much stress....

hez
11-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Payton was born on a Saturday, and we were in the next Friday. My DH drove (I had a c/s) & it was a very quick appointment in comparison to our more recent appointments. I don't remember anything negative about it because I was walking decently well by then. Now, the 2 week appointment my mom drove & got me carsick!

Our insurance covered me for up to 96 hours in the hospital post delivery with the c/s, and if I left even a half hour early I was eligible for a home health nurse visit. I left about a day early. The nurse came on that first Wednesday, weighed DS and the whole 9 yards-- is that an option to get the info to your ped that way?

psophia17
11-30-2004, 05:57 PM
I couldn't drive until about 10 days after my C/S, but I was a good passenger. Maybe the doula would drive you and Amelia for her weigh-in?

ColorBlue
11-30-2004, 06:05 PM
I just had newborn twins on october 28, we were discharged on the 30th and we had our first doctor's visit on November 1. And then a second visit a few days later. If I recall it was similar with my first as well.

Tracy

dd Grace 11/01
dd Ella 11/04
dd Madeline 11/04

Elilly
11-30-2004, 06:25 PM
Our ped likes to see them b/w 7-10 days of age. I havea cousin who is a ped. and she says that her group likes to see bf babies at 5-7 days of age and ff fed babies at 7-10. Maybe he wants to see Amelia w/in 48 hours of when you leave the hospital b/c she will fit into this general timeframe???? Maybe a housecall is in order!?

usfrph
11-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Went to see the pediatrician 2 weeks after discharge.
I would think they could weigh Amelia at the nursery.

jk3
11-30-2004, 07:07 PM
We had to take Braden every day from day 3 until the end of the first week since he was early + small. We were on the neurotic side anyway given the circumstance so it didn't bother us too much. Next time around, that won't be happening. I'm sure a pediatrician will examine Amelia in the hospital so take her when you can. You'll know if she is doing well. The first time around it's difficult to trust one's instinct but now you are a pro!

Sending lots of good thoughts your way. What an exciting week!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

MelissaTC
11-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Matthew was born on Sunday, we were discharged on Wednesday and he was at the Ped on that Friday. The Ped did visit him in the hospital 3x. They made us come back the following Monday for a weight check and the next time we returned was for his 1 month appointment. I had a c-section also but Patrick was off from work and drove me. By the 1 month, I was fine and actually drove Matthew and my Grandparents. :)

Marisa6826
11-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Beth-

I couldn't walk upright for about three weeks after having Sophie. You have to add in that I will be coming down off of really high cardiac meds as well.

I spoke to my doula (the one that owns the group I'm going through) and she said the Ped is out of his mind. That if Amelia is wetting enough dipes, she's certainly eating enough and hypothetically not losing weight.

She said that if push comes to shove, the doula assigned to me will stay with Sophie and SHE will take me to the Ped. She said that she wouldn't be pleasant to the Ped though - that they really have no clue about how long it takes for c/s Moms to have their milk come in, etc.

I'm so confused.

-m

Laurelsmom2002
11-30-2004, 07:13 PM
We went 2 days after d/c w/ #1, and 2 weeks w/ #2, both were/are breast fed,
Your doula may not be able to drive you due to insurance issues, basically if she's driving and your in an accident, even if its not her fault, her insurance gets hit, since shes working. But since shes an RN, w/ extreem baby experience cant she call report in to the ped, and if anything seems iffy to him then you percocet yourself and drive in.
just a thought
good luck

alleyoop
11-30-2004, 07:27 PM
I had a repeat C on Friday, left the hospital on Monday and Ped wanted to see DD on Wednesday. The planned C left me in MUCH better shape at the appointment, though my hubby drove.

The first time it took me 3 weeks to stand up, too. The second time, I was walking laps around the ward before I was discharged. Like night and day! Really! I would go with your Doula driving and leave Sophie at home with Jonathan.

Edited to say: I am sooo excited for you! Can't wait to see the pictures of little Amelia! Good Luck!

Melanie
11-30-2004, 07:31 PM
A Pediatrician saw Ds both days in the hospital (not our ped. as we ended up delivering where he did not have privileges). Then we took him into our ped the next day. He was jaundiced and we went everyday for a few weeks for blood draws. =( All three of us went...Dh driving, Ds & I in the back.

I think you should have the doula (assuming you trust her) drive you and Amelia while Jonathan stays home with Sophie.

egoldber
11-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to be flip. :(

To answer your question (which I did not do the first time, again sorry), Sarah's first scheduled appointment with the ped was at 2 weeks of age. So for us, that was about 10 days post-discharge. But we actually saw the ped at just over one week of age. Breastfeeding was not going well, and I knew that something was wrong, so we went in for a weight check at one week, so about 5 days post discharge.

And my milk did not come in until about 5 days post partum.

mudder17
11-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Actually, our pede came to our hospital to give DD her 48 hr checkup. Then I brought her in later for her 2 week appointment. I was told that if your pede didn't have privileges in your hospital, then the hospital would provide one of its on-staff pedes for the 48 hr checkup.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

Buffys Mommy
11-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Marisa,

With Sarah, she was born Monday, discharged Tuesday, and we were at the "newborn club" on Thursday. I didn't see her ped until 3 weeks (had her on Kaiser back then). Since she lost almost a full pound from birth, I was at that newborn club at least twice a week for 3 weeks, until they felt she had gotten the hang of breastfeeding.

I would see if your doula, or the doula you talked to could talk to the ped. If the only reason he wants to see Amelia is for weight checks, I'm sure the doula could do that.

I can't believe she's almost here!

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

steph01
11-30-2004, 07:34 PM
We took Ben in the day after we were discharged, I think it is just the latest "trend' in pediatrics. I also had a planned c-section and really had no trouble getting around, just had someone else drive. As for the doula saying that milk comes in late for c-sections, I can tell you that is not always the case either. My milk took less than 48 hours to come in and it came in big time. I would say play it by ear because every person is different, make the appointment, and just move it if you have to.

Saartje
11-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Isaac's first appointment was two weeks and a day after he was born, so not quite two weeks after discharge. It was supposed to be at one week of age, but I hadn't lined up a pediatrician far enough in advance, apparently, and there wasn't an appointment available. (And at that two-week exam, she said he was doing so well I didn't need to bother bringing him for a one-month exam, and to wait until two months unless that worried me.)

In your situation, I'd tell my pediatrician that bringing the baby in simply wasn't possible unless it was a true emergency, and talk about other ways to get Amelia weighed. (And if she turns out to have already started to regain weight in the hospital, since you'll be there a bit longer than usual, I can't imagine why you would need to bring her in to make sure she's not losing it.)

Good luck to you, Marisa! I hope everything goes well for you both.

octmom
11-30-2004, 07:50 PM
ETA: Our ped, and others in the practice, checked on Sean each day we were in the hospital. We was born on a Wednesday and we were discharhed on Saturday. (C/S)

Our hospital sent a nurse (in our case two-- one was training) to our home two days after discharge. They checked on Sean-- weighed him, checked his circ, etc., watched me nurse him so they could check his latch and see how we were doing, and they checked my incision. They were wonderful! I think they do this for all first-time parents, but maybe they do it for everyone. I'd love to have that service again next time around! And it was no cost to us. I think I heard that the hospital subsidizes the program.

Then we brought Sean to the ped's office when he was around eight days old for another check, and that appointment was with the LC associated with the practice. I think it was a couple more weeks before he saw one of the peds in the practice after we were discharged. His cord fell off in under a week, but his belly button wasn't healing really quickly and he needed a little silver nitrate.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Tondi G
11-30-2004, 08:05 PM
I can't remember exactly but I believe DS's first visit with his ped after discharge was either 2 weeks or 4 weeks after he was born! He had some mild jaundice but was eating up a storm..... this kid didn't want to quit BFing! I distinctly remember he was up well over his birthweight at our first visit.... my ped said to me "um what are you feeding this kid!". I think your ped is a little whacky wanting you to come in so soon! one week after discharge ok.... maybe! If you will have a doula at home then she can weigh the baby for you and see to it that the baby is gaining and eating well enough!

Good Luck!

~Tondi

mamahill
11-30-2004, 08:11 PM
That's weird. My doctor came to the hospital to see Ainsleigh. But we see a Family Practice doctor, so she has fewer little patients. I don't know what to say, but how exciting that you're DAYS away from it. Woohoo Amelia!

JFC
11-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Our ped saw DS in the hospital each day, and then we went 2 days after discharge, again at 1 week, 2 weeks, and 1 month.

I would suggest making the appt. and then playing it by ear - if you aren't up for it - reschedule it. I hope your ped would understand your circumstances.

Good luck!

marinkitty
11-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Our ped. practice saw Mia on day 4 (2nd day after discharge in our case) and then not until 2 weeks (same practice as Tara (wagner36)) for a weight check. But really, if you have an LC/doula with a scale what is the point of going all the way there (assuming she is otherwise well)? You can have the doula weigh her before she eats and call the dr. to report the weight. What will they do if you don't make that appt - refuse to treat her going forward/send you a bad mommy note? I think I'd just play it by ear with this one - make the appt. and then if you don't feel up to it, bag it and have the weight check done at home. Setting yourself back or forcing Jonathan behind the wheel just aren't worth it!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

macassi
11-30-2004, 11:37 PM
I don't mean this to be rude at all, so I apologize if it comes across that way, but ultimately isn't it up to you when you take her? The ped may recommend a visit right after you get home, but if you don't call and make the appointment for a week, I doubt he'll reject you as a patient. You can explain when you get there that you believed Amelia was doing just fine, you had a Doula who agreed with your assessment, and you just weren't up to going out.

tarahsolazy
12-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Hey Marisa:

It is now recommended that all kiddos see the doc or a mother-baby nurse 2-3 days after d/c from the hospital. The peds that are seeing kids at two weeks are out of date, and that time frame can be dangerous. In your case, and all C/S moms (like me), its likely not as big a deal, as long as BF or FF is fairly well-established before you go home, and Amelia doesn't look jaundiced on hospital D/C. With vaginal birth moms staying only 24-48 hours, kids can get dehydrated or jaundiced if things aren't going well in the BF dept, and, heart murmurs not audible at birth can show up that can be serious. Of course, a ped might not be much help with BF, but hopefully he or she would have resources up his/her sleeve. I know you've got the doula, so no prob there. C/S kids who have lost significant amts of weight and aren't wetting enough or having non-meconium poops at discharge should still be seen.

So, to make a long rambling answer short: 2-3 days is the general rec, and with good reasons. However, in your case, you've got the backup girlie, so don't worry, you, Jonathon, and the doula will know if she needs to go sooner than 2 weeks.

jbowman
12-01-2004, 12:13 AM
I had Ellie on a Monday, we went home on Wednesday (the ped saw her on Monday and Wednesday in the hospital), and then DH and I took her to his office on Friday.

Could Jonathan drive you all to the ped. after discharge? I am assuming that Amelia will be discharged after you leave the hospital?

Good luck! I can't wait until little Amelia arrives!

Marisa6826
12-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks Tara!

I've just been so overwhelmed with all of this. My FIL has this just God awful upper respiratory infection and I just found out last night that my step MIL has been caring for her grandson that has scarlet fever!!

I've been on a rampage all day making sure these people don't descend on me and Amelia in the hospital. Nobody seems to grasp the potential seriousness of the situation.

Add in a just horrendous argument with my Mother on the phone this afternoon on top of this whole "when to take the baby to the Ped" drama and I'm just exhausted, angry, fed up and at the end of my rope.

Of course this is all compounded by my DH's inability and unwillingess to get a "pair" and finally drive despite hundreds of dollars in recent lessons.

Honestly, I am looking forward to five days in the hospital.

-m

tarahsolazy
12-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Although I know its a big trial to you, I find it kind of funny that your DH won't drive. I mean, most of us got over it, and learned as teens... Not that I've ever driven in NYC or anything, but still. You deserve a rest, unfortunately, a C/S, and BF a newborn - not a rest, as you know better than me. Hang in there, girlies, and stop taking your mom's calls.

starrynight
12-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Does the ped do hospital visits? Even with a vag. birth most hospitals keep you 48 hours unless you request early discharge.

All of my kids were seen at 48 hours post birth right before hospital discharge by their ped, my ped had hospital privilages and did rounds there so maybe I got lucky!? Then a "formal" check up at 2 weeks.

I would just ask the hospital to fax over her 48 hour weight and see if there is an issue of concern or not. Eliza *almost* couldn't go home because she was wavering on that line but she was able to go home by literally 1oz. it took a bit longer and we had to deal with the ped and a nurse and all that but they decided to let her go home.

starrynight
12-01-2004, 12:27 AM
>The Ped wants to see her 48hrs AFTER discharge. So she'd be
>about 5 days old.
>
>I seem to recall Sophie was 2 weeks old at her first visit.
>
>-m

OOPs missed that message when I replied the first time.

My ped told us if there was a problem come in sooner but otherwise make the appt. for 2 weeks of age. I would have the doula or someone else just weigh her, it's normal to still lose weight in the first week so not sure if it would even help any to take her in kwim?

BTW because of the weight loss issue with Eliza I mentioned in my previous post they did want to see E at 1 week old now that I really think about it but I didn't bother. I took her in at 2 weeks and the doc didn't seem to say a word about it. The clinic she was going to at the time was sooo ridiculous to deal with (military base *sigh*) that I was not about to do it twice in 2 weeks! If she wasn't eating or seemed jaundice I would have taken her in but not just for weight!

HannaAddict
12-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Standard practice at our pediatrician's office and all the peds we interviewed was 24 to 48 hours after discharge from the hospital. We saw ours the very morning after being discharged the night before.

ellies mom
12-01-2004, 01:14 AM
Our hospital has a policy that they don't discharge the baby if it loses more than 10% of its birthweight. Our daughter was right at that amount. They let us take her home because my milk was starting to come in, but we had to bring her back the next day to check her weight. Normally they want to see the baby about 2-3 days after discharge.

I had a C-section, but it wasn't that bad. I'd have the doula drive, and just take your time. Oh, and don't forget that extra percocet.

ellies mom
12-01-2004, 01:14 AM
Our hospital has a policy that they don't discharge the baby if it loses more than 10% of its birthweight. Our daughter was right at that amount. They let us take her home because my milk was starting to come in, but we had to bring her back the next day to check her weight. Normally they want to see the baby about 2-3 days after discharge.

I had a C-section, but it wasn't that bad. I'd have the doula drive, and just take your time. Oh, and don't forget that extra percocet.

Marisa6826
12-01-2004, 02:58 AM
Jackie-

I'm delivering in NYC, but live in NJ. So the Peds that will see Amelia in the hospital won't be affiliated at all with my regular guy here at home.

-m

dowlinal
12-01-2004, 03:41 AM
My ped wanted to see Madeline a week after discharge, but he came into the hospital every day to see her. We ended up going in after 4 days because she was lethargic and would not stay awake to nurse and then every 2-3 days for weight checks because she had lost a lot of weight.

I think your best bet is to ride with the doula to the doctor's office. I would call ahead and tell them you were coming in and you were extremely sore, dizzy, ect... so could they please get you in quickly.

cinrein
12-01-2004, 06:50 AM
Marisa,
I'm not sure another response will help you at this point, but here goes. :)

I have Kaiser and their standard of care is that a newborn be examined by a ped at 4/5 days of age. Since I was out of the hospital in 2 days, we went back to the ped when Anna was 4 days old, and then again at 2 weeks of age. (BTW, she didn't gain weight until the 2 week appt.) Kaiser also called me after our first night home with Anna to make sure everything was going OK (and to ask how many dirty diapers she made). If I would have had a C-section, the ped would have seen her in the hospital before discharge and we wouldn't have had to drag her into Kaiser on day 4. My ped at Kaiser came to the hospital to examine Anna, does your ped do this? Perhaps not and this is why he wants you to bring her in?

I haven't read the other responses, but I'd play it by ear. Maybe things will go better this time and the appt will not be much of a problem. Or maybe you will welcome the opportunity for face-time with a ped---who knows. I would definitely plan on getting Amelia checked and weighed before you are discharged and then see how it goes. If it's going well and you are not up to making the trip, then personally I would bag it until the 2 week appt.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

Rachels
12-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Uh, that's crazy. If she's in the hospital with you, she'll be seen and looked after, and it is NORMAL for babies to lose weight after birth. I wouldn't take her.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

KrisM
12-01-2004, 10:11 AM
I had a c-section, but had no issues with recovery, fortunately. I went home after 2 days. We did bring the baby to the ped. on day number 5, which was within what they recommended. I really can't imagine that an extra day or two is going to be life threatening to the baby, so long as s/he was checked out in the hospital. The ped. can't force you to come in on day 3, so just make the appointment for the day you can make it.

I'm sorry you are having these problems. It's too much for anyone to worry about now.

McQ
12-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Maybe this is a silly question, but won't Amelia be in the hospital with you? Why can't she be seen there?

Declan was 5 weeks early and born before I had interviewed our ped (had the appointment set for the following week) so the peds on staff at the hospital checked him every day since we didn't have one.

We saw our ped in the office at 4 days old for both Declan & Meghan.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

KBecks
12-01-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing your ped doesn't have hospital priveleges at the place you're delivering.

Negotiate with the ped. The hosp will weight the baby every day anyway, so have them call it in to the ped's office whlie the baby is still in the hospital. I'm assuming the baby doesn't go home until you go home.

Our ped office has several docs. One doc came in and examined him at the hospital, and the nurses called the ped office every day with updates on weight, feedings, etc. so the ped knew the status.

Alek lost the max weight 10%, and breastfeeding was a rocky start, so the peds wanted to know his weight. I was in the hospital 4 days. Then we took him to the peds office for weight checks and bilirubin checks for jaundice 3x, YES THREE TIMES in the first week at home. Talk about co-pays! Our ped office is only 1 mile from our house, so that's very helpful.

Show your DH the way to the peds office, he may need to go at some point.

Once Alek started gaining, we got the all clear and then his next visits were 2 weeks and 1 month. I appreciated the attention he got to make sure he was off to a good start and gaining weight. Our little boy lost weight and with the jaundice, I was worried for him.

If you're not up to driving, can you arrange a ride?

Good luck,

tarahsolazy
12-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Its not the age after birth, its the time after discharge from the hospital. It is very normal for kids to lose weight after birth, up to 12% of birthweight is normal, and probably more, in the case of kids whose moms received IV fluids, like C/S, or epidural moms. But, especially in the case of BF babes, a check in two to three days after discharge is prudent. Unfortunately, many peds are not well-equipped to handle BF problems, and they really should be. But, a good ped can make sure mom is feeding babe often enough, waking the baby if she sleeps to long, etc. Also, kernicterus is on the rise, so peds need to watch for jaundice. I cannot tell you how many kids are readmitted with bilirubins of 25 on day of life six or seven, who haven't been seen by a doc or midwife until they are extremely yellow and sleepy and not nursing well. If they'd been seen earlier, the provider could have ideally helped the mom, recommending more frequent nursing, LCs if needed, frequent weight checks, finger feeding, etc. As you might imagine, there's nothing that can sabotage a BF relationship like a hospital readmission! My goal when I practiced general peds was to prevent those readmissions, and avoid moms switching to formula because of the early insecurity that often accompanies BF in our anti-BF culture. So, there is some logic to the quick visit. But, like everything, we all get to make our own informed decisions about health care.

lrucci
12-01-2004, 05:14 PM
We were discharged on Tuesday and went in on Wednesday. Our ped didn't go to the hospital where I delivered, so she was seen my the peds that were on duty at the hospital.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

jubilee
12-01-2004, 06:18 PM
I wanted to say I totally agree with you Tarah. My ped wanted Logan to come in at two weeks old, but when he was 5 days old he got so scary yellow I went directly to the hospital (it was a weekend and the ped was already closed). He wouldn't wake up anymore to nurse, his bilirubin was in the mid 20s (and continued to elevate for the next several days despite the bililights). I almost gave up nursing, but had to finger feed for over two weeks until he was alert enough to nurse. If the ped had requested to see him at two days after discharge, it may have not gotten as bad as it did. So instead of seeing Logan at two weeks, he was seen by the ped at day 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 14- all because of jaundice. Hopefully that won't be Marisa's (or anyone else's case) but I agree this is for the *health* of the baby.