PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Proper Military Terminology

August Mom
11-30-2004, 05:27 PM
As you may know from my earlier post, I'm working on a photo book for SIL for Christmas. Her DH is a Navy chaplain and has the rank of lieutenant. He is in the reserves. When he went to Iraq, he served with a Marine unit.

Right now in my text, I have that he is a "chaplain in the naval reserves." Is it okay to say it that way? If not, how should I say it? Should naval be capitalized?

Also, is it okay to say that he "was deployed to Iraq as a chaplain, serving with a Marine unit fighting in the war"?

As you can see, I have no grasp of military lingo.

TIA

Tori_s mom
11-30-2004, 06:37 PM
My DH (Lt. Cmdr. in Navy) thinks it should be "chaplain in the Navy Reserves." He said the second part sounds fine.

What a wonderful gift for your SIL! My DH was deployed in spring 2003, and it was pretty rough for both of us. I hope your SIL's DH comes home soon, safe and sound.

Tasha

Tori (3/11/04)

Edited to change time of deployment.....Time flies when you have a baby!

August Mom
11-30-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the information. That helps a lot.

Actually, BIL is already home. He served at the same time as your DH. He went over in March 2003 and returned in October. It was rough for SIL with 4 kids, including a newborn (born right before her DH left). Thankfully he came home safe and sound.