PDA

View Full Version : Calling you ovulation experts...

NancyJ_redo
11-30-2004, 06:38 PM
I've been using those Clear Blue Easy sticks for the last week and have gotten nothing. Nothing! I started on day 10 like they suggest, am now up to 18 and still nothing. AF is a pretty standard 28 days, though it could be a day or two longer in some months. But still, 8 days of sticks should be enough, no?

I'm wondering if it's user error, but the reference line comes up strong every time and the pamphlet says that if the reference line is visible, the test was done correctly. Ok, but where's the fricken fracken surge line?? Do those things really work? This is our first month that we're looking to try so I haven't gotten the TCOYF book yet, but I will if these sticks continue to not cooperate.

Any thoughts on what might be happening, user error, bad sticks, etc.?

Katia
11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
I never had much luck with OPKs, although charting indicated that I ovulated, as did DS's birth ;-) I used to spend a lot of time on fertility boards, and I remember others who experienced the same thing but did ovulate. The timing is tricky, and personally I found TCOYF a lot more interesting and empowering than the ovulation tests. Good luck!

jk3
11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
It could be a bad pack, user error or you might be having an anovulatory cycle which can happen from time to time. We caved and bought the monitor last time around but from time to time I experience the same thing. Perhaps try a different brand next time. I highly recommend the TCOYF book. If you follow the advice in the book, it really isn't neccessary to buy any of these products.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

NancyJ_redo
11-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Any websites you guys can recommend to answer ovulation related questions? Things like what's anovulatory, what its implications are (like if anovulation did occur, could you tell by AF or lack thereof), etc.?

Thanks!

steph2003
11-30-2004, 07:25 PM
When I was trying to get p/g I hung out on TCOYF boards a lot - there are tons of questions about the timing of ovulation kits, etc. In fact I think there is an entire forum for ovulation kits alone :) I found the ladies over there & the boards to be great resource for me.

Good luck!

cuca_
11-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Nancy,

In addition to the TCOYF board, try fertilityfriend.com. I don't find the boards super helpful, (in fact I find them a tiny bit annoying) but they do have free charting, and I found that it was an easy way to keep track of my cycle/ovulation/ect... They also have a paid membership with higher privileges/services, but I mostly found it to be a good place to keep track of my cycles, and bypassed all the extra features. Definitely get the TCOYF book, though, it is a great resource.

ETA: When are you taking the ovulation tests? Are you taking the test in the afternoon? I think that is the recommended time, and you have to avoid liquid intake for a while. I've found that they usually don't work well for me if I take a test in the moring.

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
#2 expected in May 2005!

Katia
11-30-2004, 08:44 PM
My favorite site for fertility stuff is http://www.fertilityplus.org

Here's a page specific to OPKs: http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/opk.html

Momof3Labs
11-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Anovulatory means that you didn't ovulate that month, which is possible. You will still get AF. It doesn't mean anything, really, unless you consistently don't ovulate. Try one of the sources recommended and hopefully you'll get better information than those OPKs!

Tondi G
11-30-2004, 11:23 PM
OPK's never worked for me. I know a lot of people who have been nothing but frustrated trying to use them too! One thing is the time of day you use them. Afternoon for OPK's, same time every day. I was confused with HPT's which you would use first thing in the AM! One other thing is.... you could be an early ovulater.... I sware I am! I think I ovulate on day 9.... but could be a couple of days later.... I never did get around to charting!

I always tried to watch Cervical Mucus and just go ahead every other night from about day 8 to day 18..... if the CM seemed fertile we might double up! For me charting and OPKS etc just made it seem so planned..... I know that works for some people but not for Dh and I. Keep in mind too that on average it takes a normal healthy couple 6 months or more to get preggo... people who nail it the first time out are LUCKY!

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

NancyJ_redo
12-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice and website references. I was convinced today was going to be the day and did the stick. I got one dark reference line and for the surge line...Nothing! Argh. Off to the bookstore for TCOYF.