PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve dinner --WWYD (a bit long)?

C99
12-01-2004, 01:53 AM
So now that it's the 1st of December, my mind is in this rush to get everything for Christmas settled and done already. Hence, why I am still awake at 12:45 a.m. ANYWAY...

Our first Christmas in this house was 2 years ago. My parents came up from Texas, my brother came in from Seattle and we all had Swiss fondue for dinner on Christmas Eve. Last year, since we had a little person and didn't want to go elsewhere, we decided to continue the tradition of hosting a fondue dinner on CE. We invited all of my husband's family who were in town and about 1/2 of the list accepted and came. I mentioned to my MIL that we are planning to do it again this year and she said, "Oh, don't worry about it. You are pregnant and you are going to be traveling so soon after the holiday and that's so much work, if you don't feel like doing it, don't worry about it." Translation: We don't want to schlep out there/don't do it. (Apparently, the roads only run out to the suburbs on holidays.)

So now I am torn. As I said, we're going to have fondue whether it's for the 3 of us or whether it's for 10 of us. It's not that hard to do Swiss fondue -- it's a bunch of melted cheese for goodness' sake. There's some prep to be done prior, but really not that much! We'll cut up some bread and pears and apples and open a couple of bags of salad and be done with it. So I don't know whether to invite the people who came last year MINUS my in-laws (really don't want to aggravate them on CE!) or invite everyone who came last year or invite no one and have it just be the 3 of us. In this family, no one opens gifts on CE (except the section of people who didn't come last year & won't be invited this year), so that's not an issue. I was thinking that since CE is on a Friday and the observed/off day, it would be easier for people to come, but I don't know what to do.

WWYD?

Buffys Mommy
12-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Caroline,

What a wonderful tradition. I'm sure your children will enjoy it as they get older. My question to you is... what would you prefer? It sounds like you enjoy the group dinner. If so, invite everyone who came last year. I wouldn't exclude the IL's. Let them be the ones to decide whether or not to come. You can let the IL's know that you enjoy the tradition, but if it's too much trouble or the roads suddenly just go one way on Christmas Eve, that you will truly understand if they don't attend.

Christmas Eve for us will be just the three of us. I may borrow your fondue dinner as it sounds absolutely wonderful.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

jubilee
12-01-2004, 02:13 AM
It sounds like you really enjoy this new Christmas Eve tradition, so I'd vote invite everyone you want to invite. It's up to them if they want to come or not. I enjoy traditions, and starting new ones, and think they are something to cherish. Don't let a scrooge take that away from you! Enjoy your fondue!! Are you also doing dessert (chocolate) fondue? I'd bet all of us here would love to come ;)

californiamom
12-01-2004, 09:57 AM
I agree with the PPs. I would invite everybody and then it is up to them if they want to attend or not. Explain to your ILs that it is not trouble at all and that in fact it would make you happy to have people over CE for cheese fondue. I think this is a great tradition! I would add the chocolate fondue for dessert as well. Yummy. :-)

Good luck!

usfrph
12-01-2004, 10:07 AM
I would invite everyone including the IL's and let them decide wethere they want to come or not. I might steal your fondue tradition --it's easy and yummy! Might pair it with raclette and have chocolate fondue for dessert so I don't totally steal your idea ;-)

kransden
12-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Some people might have thought it was a great idea and are hoping you have it again! I would invite everyone including your ILs and see who wants to come.

I know this sounds odd, but on CE I go to my friend's family celebration and dh stays home. He just doesn't like to go. When dd get older we will resume the CE church services as a family after the celebration like we have done in the past.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

McQ
12-01-2004, 10:42 AM
I'd invite everyone and whoever wants to come will. Let it be their decision, not yours.

But the big question is will there be chocolate fondue for dessert :)

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

marinkitty
12-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Caroline - I think this is such a great tradition you've started. My family always did something similar on New Years Eve when we were all young enough not to be going out (and my folks still do it and Bryan and I started it now that we no longer go out). But we really overdo it - cheese fondue, then oil with the meats, then the chocolate!

I'd just invite them all - if they are too troubled to come, fine, but I'd include everyone and hopefully they will decide that the drive into the city isn't such a big deal. And, even if they don't come then you and the rest of your guests from last year can still have a fabulous time!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

jec2
12-01-2004, 01:28 PM
First of all, I know exactly what we are having for Christmas Eve dinner now! What a great idea. We have 2 fondue pots that we have never used. Now we can have dinner (cheese) and dessert (chocolate :) )!

If hosting the fondue party is something that you want to do, then do it! Invite who you would want to be there. If they decline, they decline. If they accept but don't really want to attend, then poopy on them. So, if youf In-laws feel the pressure to attend, then that is there problem. But you can tell them when you invite them (and I think you should just so that they know you are an inclusive family) that you are really excited about hosting CE and doing fondue for all and that if they or others cannot make it then that is definately OK.

hth :)

pritchettzoo
12-01-2004, 02:16 PM
What a fun tradition!

Can you send an email invitation--something informal so there's not "pressure" on your ILs (who shouldn't have a say in whether or not you want to entertain on Christmas Eve for goodness' sake--if they don't want to come, don't come!)? Just ask for a RSVP so that you know how much to prepare.

Would you mind posting your fondue recipe?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)