PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! Did anyone see the story about Children's Motrin causing blindness/severe rash/death?

deborah_r
12-01-2004, 02:10 AM
It was on my local news hear in LA. Dr. Jay Gordon was interviewed briefly and said he felt what happened to these two particular girls was caused by the Motrin. Specifically their allergy to it. They said to discontinue use of ibuprofen if you see a rash on your child. This was scary stuff - the girls developed rashes internally and externally and went blind. I believe one girl died from it.

I was a little freaked considering I just gave DS Motrin right before he went to bed.

slknight
12-01-2004, 06:36 AM
Yikes! I hadn't heard about that one. Sounds like their rashes were pretty severe though. How quickly did the rashes appear and how long did they last before the blindness? Seems like if DS had a really bad rash, I would discontinue whatever I was doing and go to the doctor asap. Did they do this?

And ALL medicine has side-effects and the potential for harm.

Edited to add - the more I think about it, the more this story sounds weird. I never watch the local news precisely for this reason. Sounds like over-sensationalism to scare people and get ratings. You know, like when they say, "Oh, no! A common medicine has life-altering consequences. Tune in next Wednesday at 11:00 to find out!" If this were so serious, I would think it would be all over the news everywhere. Just my 2 cents.

Marisa6826
12-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Gotta say I agree with Susan.

It it was a big deal, it would have been everywhere.

Who knows that the entire story was. For all we know, the kids could have been fed nothing but Doritos and Kool Aid and it was the dye from the food.

I HATE alarmist stories like this. There will always be a minority that has some sort of reaction, but by and large it's a safe medicine that has many benefits over Tylenol.

-m