PDA

View Full Version : Holiday giving in your community -- please post resources & ideas here

zen_bliss
12-01-2004, 04:45 AM
how to adopt a family, toys for tots, etc. you can even share your closet -- give your gently used items to women's shelters where they will really be appreciated. ask at your local police station detective's desk. i went in today to ask both about a toy drive (i've been putting aside extra toys i've bought on our great bargain alert deals throughout the year) and for referrals for shelters that would actually use our outgrown items (as opposed to thrift stores that mostly toss kids things). i was surprised when the detective said they actually get too many toys for the community kids party. she was stunned and thrilled when i asked if she could suggest some shelters that could really put our things to use. so i think those smaller organizations might not be tapped into the whole big drive thing and they'll be really grateful for whatever resources we all can provide.

does anyone know of other ways to get things to needy moms? via social services depts, free clinics? i save all our magazines for the free clinic (some long waits there) and i've given them formula & diapering supplies, but i'm not sure if they distribute clothes and such.

has anyone 'adopted' a family? are there local organizations that compile 'dear santa' wishlists from poor kids so others can buy for them? i remember reading a dear abby column long ago where the little girl's wish list was a blanket and a coat. i'm not flowing with cash, but i want to be her santa and add a doll to her pile, too.

imagine the impact if each of us would add just one more thing to our shopping this year. heck, think of it as the savings from even one purchase from our bargain alerts or co-ops. just the $10 i saved on the target sale FP LP ark and the $15+ i saved by getting the walmart 'robeez' can go pretty far.

slknight
12-01-2004, 06:31 AM
Around here, the major newspapers tend to have a toyfund of some kind. Needy families write to the newspaper and get on their list. Then people contribute to the fund and the toys are distributed to them. But I'm fairly certain you can only contribute money, and not actual items.

Our town maintains "angel trees." They have them in the town office and in some of the banks. You choose someone off the tree and shop for them based on their request.

Last year, I got a family through http://www.theboxproject.com. Someone here had posted the link. I'm pretty sure it's too late to get a family for this year though.

Of course there's always Toys for Tots.

Momof3Labs
12-01-2004, 11:00 AM
At our office, they have a list of local DCFS kids who need Christmas presents. I shopped for two 2-year-old boys this past weekend.

Locally, the malls and banks have the angel trees, too, so we used to each pick a child and buy everything on their list (probably won't do that this year since we have done other things). They also collect new toys, and we have some that we'll drop off.

The new toys and clothes in good condition can also be sent to the orphanages in the Ukraine - I'm organizing a care package to be sent out in January in honor of Neve's adoption(s), to an orphanage of her choice.

missym
12-01-2004, 11:39 AM
We're fortunate in our community to have a Christmas Bureau which allows individuals or groups to "adopt" families. The family compiles a list of needs/wants with the help of their case worker, including clothing sizes, etc. You're asked to donate at least one outfit per family member and toy per child, gift certificates and pantry items for a holiday dinner, and whatever else you can afford. Our company adopted two families this year and I'm thrilled to say that they got everything on their wish list plus some!

The Christmas Bureau takes a tremendous amount of volunteer time and effort, but it is always a big success. I'm proud of how our community pulls together for it.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
20 months and counting!

C99
12-01-2004, 04:03 PM
There are tons of people asking for used toys, clothing, etc. here in Chicago on freecycle.org

mharling
12-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Susan -
You just made my day!!!! It was me that posted the link for the Box Project and I am ABSOLUTELY THRILLED that you looked into it and participated! I came to find this thread specifically to post about the Box Project. It is such a great organization! In addition to the holiday helpers, you can also be matched with a family 'permanently'. My mom has been with the same family for YEARS!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

mharling
12-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Another program I've participated in for the last few years is Chicago Sun-Times Letters to Santa. The Sun-Times works with organizations and schools and distributes letters to volunteers written to Santa by the children. You are responsible for getting the gift(s) to the school, etc. and even receive a thank you note from the specific child(ren).

Two years a go, I had a letter from a little girl who asked for a specific color of gloves. I hunted EVERYWHERE and couldn't find that color. I still got her gloves, but it makes me sad that I couldn't find exactly what she wanted since it was such a simple wish. :(

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

redhookmom
12-02-2004, 11:25 PM
At both our local homeless and battered women's shelters you can adopt families. You are provided with the ages and genders of one family. These families have either lived in the shelters or live there now.

C99
12-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Contact your city's Health & Human Services (or similarly named) department, if it has one. I volunteer w/ a guy who runs the H&HS department for Chicago and he was telling us that his agency and the agencies he works with "qualify" needy families and can provide a list of needs. He said that if you just give money, you often don't have discretionary say over what happens to that gift and it may end up in a different place than what you expected.

C99
12-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Within the city of Chicago, you can also just go to the post office and ask for a couple of letters to Santa and then fill the child's wish.