PDA

View Full Version : Advice on infant with a cold

bnme
12-01-2004, 06:56 AM
My 4 month old DS seems to have caught a little cold from me and his big brother. It is basically just congestion/runny nose. His temp is 98.5, which I think is of no concern. I am giving his older brother Tylenol Cold when t he symtoms seem to be aggravating him. Would you give this to a 4 month old? Or something else?

I plan on calling my ped later when they open, just looking to see what you guys do. My older DS never really gets sick or has colds, and never even had that before he was 1yo, so I am feeling like a total newbie to this! I actually took a rectal temp on the baby and it was my 1st time-I was scared to death but it was no big deal after all.

To top it all off we are leaving for WDW on Sunday - I hope we are all better by then.

TIA for any advice.

mysweetboy
12-01-2004, 07:19 AM
Charlie's had 2 colds already and I was able to give him some baby Tylenol. Our ped (and I think most) recommends no cold/cough medication at all.

Hope you're all feeling better soon!

Lori
mommy to Charlie, almost 7 months old!

Laurelsmom2002
12-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Oh I am soo sorry- I told ds that he is not allowed to get sick until he is 6 mo old and can have drugs. All you can give him is the infant tylenol, and squirt his nose w/ saline which will also help w/ congestion, basically by thining secretions so he can cough them out. also you can use a cool mist humidifier and raise the head of the crib up- (we put towels or blankets under the crib mattress)
Dr Sears site is the one I usually refer to when I'm not sure about stuff like this askdrsears.com
HTH

Marisa6826
12-01-2004, 09:25 AM
We have always had great luck with Pediacare which doesn't have the acetaminophen in it. Why medicate him for a nonexistent fever? Check out www.askdrsears.com for the right dosage for your DS's weight.

As a side note, the first time Sophie got a real cold, I made a pot of chicken soup. I strained the broth through a couple of coffee filters, diluted it a little and put it in a bottle. She loved it and was better the next day!! The power of Mommy love-based chicken soup! :)

Good luck.

-m