PDA

View Full Version : When did you start having your babe nap/sleep the night in the crib?

brigmaman
12-01-2004, 04:23 PM
One of the things I had the most trouble with with Brig was sleep. Both sleep at night and during the day have always been a battle with him. He sleeps for 3 hours in the afternoon most days now- but only if he falls asleep with me or in the car. He has never slept in his crib (we co-slept) and has always napped either in our bed or in some other baby equipment.
I'd like to try to do things a bit differently with Cadie. For now, as many of today's threads have stressed, I just let her sleep wherever she falls asleep- the bouncer (is that vibrating really safe? :o ) or in her carseat, or in a sling. She sleeps in her bassinet (so far) at night, and I'd like to actually have her use her crib eventually.
When did have your babe nap/sleep the night in the crib? Obviously naps have to become more regular first. The whole schedule thing eluded us the first time. We had one- but it was very loose. I think it'll be easier this time because we'll be homebound for a while.

hez
12-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Payton started sleeping in the crib for naps fairly regularly in late spring/early summer (so around 6-9 months?), and for the first 1/2 of the night around 9 months, give or take a couple weeks. It's all blurring together. He's always taken his naps in a pack-n-play at the sitter's, since he was 4 months.

Before that he slept wherever he fell asleep-- usually with me, but occasionally the bouncer or the carseat for naps, and quite a bit of time in the bassinet 'til he outgrew it at 2 months.

Marisa6826
12-01-2004, 04:51 PM
It was either 10 or 11 weeks with Sophie.

One night I cracked and I finally had enough of not being able to read in bed at night ;).

Oh, and Sophie slept for months in her bouncy vibrator.

Kneel down to the Energizer Gods, Woman!!!!! :P

-m

lrucci
12-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Kyleigh started sleeping in her crib when she was about 3 1/2 months. I started putting her in there for naps, and after a week or so, she started sleeping in there at night.

Before that, she usually napped in the pack n play, bouncy seat, or swing. She slept in her bassinet at night in our room.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

MartiesMom2B
12-01-2004, 05:36 PM
I'd say that around 9-10 weeks I started putting Martie in the crib at night and whenever she woke up she came into bed with us. At 12 weeks she slept through the night and stayed in the crib the whole time.

-Sonia

mudder17
12-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Hmm...my brain is fuzzy, but DD slept either in her crib (which was in our room) or the pack 'n play from the get go. Of course she was often in her car carrier at the time. ;-) I think that really helped get her used to those two locations for sleep. I think when she was maybe 6-8 weeks, we generally put the carrier in the crib for all sleep times. She did sometimes fall asleep in the Baby Bjorn, but she was sleepy enough that we could usually transfer her into her car carrier and place the carrier in her crib (which has a crib tent). She actually slept in her carrier until she was 4 months because it helped with reflux issues. When she fell asleep in the swing, we usually left here there, although she only used the swing for about a month.

Oh, and in terms of sleep, I actually aimed towards getting her as much sleep as possible in the beginning regardless of it being day or night. Eventually her night stretches started getting longer (although she STILL doesn't sleep through the night), and her little brain somehow knew the difference between day and night (at night, she would go back to sleep right after feeding). Eventually, when I did the whole sleep training thing, I actually concentrated on nights first, and spent the days just keeping her as rested as possible (by swaddling, cuddling, rocking, etc.). This worked out pretty well for us.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting

missmelis01
12-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Lucas co-slept until 8 weeks. One night when he was just 8 weeks, he fell asleep on my chest and I thought I would try the crib to see how he took to it (he had never been in it before that!) and he slept fine. So I didn't see any point in going back, though I missed snuggling with him at night....

As far as napping, he usually slept where ever he fell asleep, which was usually in his bouncy chair. He loved that thing, as did DH and I! ;-) He didn't start going into his crib for naps until maybe 4 or 5 months, though I don't specifically recall when.

HTH!

Karenn
12-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Colin napped in his crib from the beginning. (However I use the word "napped" loosely since it was several months before he would sleep for any period of time during the day anywhere!)

He started sleeping in the crib at night around 3 months. We made the change because at that point he stopped falling right back to sleep at night when he'd wake up to nurse. He'd need to be rocked, walked etc. and that was easier to do in his room where DH was not sleeping.

Claire napped in her bouncy seat until 5 weeks. I started putting her in her crib because she started waking up after only 45 minutes and I thought she could use a quieter environment. It doesn't seem to have made any difference though. Today she's spent ZERO time napping in her crib- it's all been in the sling. She's still sleeping in the bassinet at night.

Momof3Labs
12-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Nighttime - about 6 weeks, when he outgrew the Moses basket (we had about a 2 week transition time when he slept in the basket in the crib). By 3 months, he would go down awake in the crib at bedtime and fall asleep on his own.

Naps - sometime after 3 months. I know that we had to pretty much hold him for naps for the first three months (he wouldn't even go in the bouncy chair to sleep - car seat was hit or miss too). But he was a LOT older (like, ummmmmm, 23 months) before he would fall asleep on his own in the crib for naps. Until then, we had to nurse or rock him to sleep and put him down asleep.

tarahsolazy
12-01-2004, 09:25 PM
DH or I held DS 24 hrs a day until he was about 4 mo. At that point, DH was a SAHD, and I was working FT, and DS was napping mostly in the Moby wrap. DH started swaddling him tightly, and putting him in the crib. We also started doing that at night at about 5-6mo, and bringing him in with us later. DS was a craptastic sleeper, never more than 3hrs, until October 26th. Ever since then (and 20min of crying) he sleeps in his crib all night (12-13hrs). I nurse him once or twice. He still is a craptastic napper, though, 2 1hr naps is the best we get.

jd11365
12-01-2004, 09:36 PM
I put Kayla in on her 3 month birthday. Thank heaven because there was no room for her in our bed with big 'ol Wedgeman there and his long horse legs!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

brigmaman
12-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Craptastic :o

crayonblue
12-01-2004, 10:03 PM
I think 4 months. Lauren slept in a bassinet in our room up until 4 months. She is such a light sleeper that every little noise woke her, so I got tired of tip-toeing around our room and going to the guest bathroom. (The master bath was off of our room.) I started with naps in her room in the crib. Lauren is now a year and is just now sleeping all night in her room though. Previously, she would wake in the night and DH would get her for me, and I would fall asleep feeding her in our bed, and she would just stay there.

momma_boo
12-01-2004, 10:13 PM
So far, it looks like I'm the loner... DD was put in her crib at night from the first day we brought her home. As for naps, I think for the first 3 months, it was mostly in the pack and play bassinet that I set up in our living room. But there were definitely naps in the bouncer, swing and infant car seat.

Vajrastorm
12-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Never :P

I'm no help, am I?

The only ones who sleep in the crib are the cats. And now its time to dismantle it and put a train table in its place. I feel badly for the cats ....I think they'll miss it.

Momof3Labs
12-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Jamie, if you don't explain that one, people will think that you are talking about your DH! :P

mamaturk
12-01-2004, 11:04 PM
We had Reilly sleep in her crib around 5 weeks. She was too big for our cradle and every time she moved her little arms would hit the side.. waking her up. I am ashamed to admit it.. but DH and I slept on her bedroom floor for a month..... :o . My guess is that we will not be as crazy with our second child. ;)

StaceyKim
12-01-2004, 11:26 PM
ds slept in the crib right from the beginning. naps were another story-car seat, bouncy, swing, stroller. whatever worked. we trained him for nap in the crib at 1 yr!
dd slept in a swing for 4 months and naps in a pnp for now (after being rocked, etc). she is now in her crib (2nd night).

tippy
12-02-2004, 12:07 AM
ROTFLMAO!
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

tippy
12-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Bassinette next to our bed for ~ 3 mo and then the crib with trips to our bed when he was going through his feeding frenzies. It was easier to nurse him that way then get up every two hours! I learned a lot from that experience (the number one thing being after my child turns 3 months NOT to nurse them to sleep. Once you do they will need you to do it ALL the time.
Teva

Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

brigmaman
12-02-2004, 06:08 AM
Good thing you posted, Lori! I did thing Jamie was talking about Troy. I know he's a big guy, but come on!