PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to needlepoint?

pritchettzoo
12-01-2004, 11:53 PM
I keep seeing these beautiful stockings, and I just wondered. I can cross-stich, crochet, and knit(-ish), so how hard would it be to pick up? I'm thinking of asking for one of those nice stocking kits for Christmas but didn't want to get in over my head.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

dowlinal
12-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Anna,

Keeping in mind that I haven't done any needlepoint in a very long time, I always found it to be easier than cross-stitching. If you can cross-stitch, crochet, and knit then I don't think needlepoint would be a problem.

A

Momof3Labs
12-02-2004, 07:13 AM
If you can cross-stitch, needlepoint will be a breeze (it is basically a half stitch instead of the "x"). It's time consuming like cross-stich, though!

Momof3Labs
12-02-2004, 07:13 AM
If you can cross-stitch, needlepoint will be a breeze (it is basically a half stitch instead of the "x"). It's time consuming like cross-stich, though!

egoldber
12-02-2004, 07:57 AM
Needlepoint is pretty easy, but very slow going. I was too impatient to ever finish a project, LOL!

egoldber
12-02-2004, 07:57 AM
Needlepoint is pretty easy, but very slow going. I was too impatient to ever finish a project, LOL!

JMS
12-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Like all the PPs said, it's not hard, just time consuming. A stocking would take you a long time .. so maybe for new Christmas :)

Look into trying an actual needlepoint project first, as opposed to pettipoint which is more stitches per square (has a tighter, smaller look).

It's fun though. I've been working on a belt for DH that was supposed to be for last Christmas.. oh well, maybe next :)

JMS
12-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Like all the PPs said, it's not hard, just time consuming. A stocking would take you a long time .. so maybe for new Christmas :)

Look into trying an actual needlepoint project first, as opposed to pettipoint which is more stitches per square (has a tighter, smaller look).

It's fun though. I've been working on a belt for DH that was supposed to be for last Christmas.. oh well, maybe next :)

TonFirst
12-02-2004, 10:48 AM
A project is definitely the way to start. I love needlepoint, but the PP are right - it IS time-consuming. I started a stocking for my (overdue) baby in July, and I'm still not finished, and I've probably put at least 75 hours into it.

But it's really, really not difficult. I hadn't picked up a canvas in years when I started the stocking, and the internet was s great tool to help me remember how to start a basketweave stitch.

Also, there are some GREAT needlepoint stores in metro Atlanta. Let me know and I'm happy to rec my favorite.

alkagift
12-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Anna,
I think it's easier since the thread is less fine and troublesome than DMC stuff and it's a simple stitch. However, I never picked it up because I was too darned impatient to deal with stitching the background of the designs. I cross-stitch instead since you only have to stitch the design itself, and you can still do one-over-one for the detail stitching.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03