PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on foam mattress toppers and pillows?

firsttimemommy
12-02-2004, 09:25 AM
We need new mattresses BADLY in our house, but right now, just can't afford them, so I was looking at the foam mattress toppers and pillows - anyone have these? Any thickness preferences (1", 2" and 3" on the mattresses) As for the pillows, contoured or not? It's very overwhelming! Almost as bad as trying to mattress shop!!! LOL

Also any online or B&M stores you recommend? I've been shopping at Amazon, Overstock and Linens N Things.

TIA!

Ronda
Proud Mommy to Jenna Leigh 1/03 and Jake 4/04

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you" ~ Winnie the Pooh

firsttimemommy
12-02-2004, 09:25 AM
We need new mattresses BADLY in our house, but right now, just can't afford them, so I was looking at the foam mattress toppers and pillows - anyone have these? Any thickness preferences (1", 2" and 3" on the mattresses) As for the pillows, contoured or not? It's very overwhelming! Almost as bad as trying to mattress shop!!! LOL

Also any online or B&M stores you recommend? I've been shopping at Amazon, Overstock and Linens N Things.

TIA!

Ronda

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you" ~ Winnie the Pooh

Sandy
12-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Ronda,
We got a foam mattress topper and pillows from Costco early last year. I think that they are the Novafoam brand. I think they had a decent price for the 2 inch queen size around $100.00 and I knew we could return it with no problems if we didn't like it. We have since moved to a new house and gotten a new King size mattress with built in memory foam but I really liked the mattress with the foam topper vs the mattress alone. It made a big difference to me as to how comfortable I was. My husband got it just to humor me because I kept complaining about my back when I was pregnant but I think he ended up liking it even more than I did.

As far as thinkness I think I would get at least a 2" topper, but take into account how thick your mattress is without it as it may make a difference on how well your sheets will fit after you have the topper. If you have to get all new sheets to accomodate the topper than you should consider that in your cost.

HTH,

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
and another peanut edd 4/21/05

firsttimemommy
12-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks so much Sandy! I had not thought of the sheet issue! I will also check Costco :)

Ronda

AvasMama
12-02-2004, 08:09 PM
I bought a 3" foam topper from Overstock.com about a month ago. It was around $125 and they were offering free shipping. It's great! I would get at least 2"; otherwise you will not feel much of a difference.

As for the pillows, I prefer the foam ones that look like regular pillows (not the contoured ones).

Robyn & Ava

Buffys Mommy
12-03-2004, 01:41 AM
I can second the one from Costco. We only bought it a month ago - but man what a difference. I think it was $119 for a queen, which is MUCH cheaper than buying a new mattress. Sarah cosleeps with me, and she has been sleeping much better at night too.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

jesseandgrace
12-03-2004, 10:09 PM
I also have the Costco one and really like it. It is a memory Foam pad, and I do think the brand is Novaform or something like that. As for the pillows I do not like memory foam pillows at all, I think they are hard. Make sure to get it from a place that you can return it easily, because I think the pillows really are a matter of taste. I got pure latex pillows instead, and I like them much better!