PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NY

mamagoosie
12-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Big news. We're moving to NY. Long story, but basically involves DH career. He has to be up there at the beginning of Jan. DD and I will probably follow at the end of Jan. I'm quitting my current job and I'm not sure whether I'm going to look for another job or stay at home--I guess I'll stay at home at first and then see. Sigh.

I am totally overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I was ready for a change and am excited but am also suddenly scared at leaving my comfort zone--and NY seems pretty daunting.

Any NY mamas out there? Any advice for a transplant? I like cities--we live in DC now, but this is a whole different level!

mamagoosie
12-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Big news. We're moving to NY. Long story, but basically involves DH career. He has to be up there at the beginning of Jan. DD and I will probably follow at the end of Jan. I'm quitting my current job and I'm not sure whether I'm going to look for another job or stay at home--I guess I'll stay at home at first and then see. Sigh.

I am totally overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I was ready for a change and am excited but am also suddenly scared at leaving my comfort zone--and NY seems pretty daunting.

Any NY mamas out there? Any advice for a transplant? I like cities--we live in DC now, but this is a whole different level!

MamaKath
12-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Do you mean NYC, Long Island or "Upstate" (basically the rest of NY, very big place!)? Probably would help narrow it down. I am from North Jersey originally and worked for years in NYC if I can be of help.

Oh and now we are outside of DC, lol. Good luck!

mamaturk
12-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Welcome to NY!!! There are a few of us here on the BBB. Where in NY will you be moving to? I live on Long Island. I will try to help with any questions you may have..... Good Luck!!!

bnme
12-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Another NY mama here, Long Islander also!

Is your DH going to be working in Manhatten?

LD92599
12-02-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm in northern NJ, just outside of NYC. As others have said, let us know more info as to where you'll be living (NYC itself, Jersey, Rockland/Westchester County, LI, CT, ec!) and you'll be bombarded w/ info!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

jk3
12-02-2004, 10:47 AM
How exciting! We're here too - in Westchester. We lived in NYC for many years before moving to the burbs.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

mamagoosie
12-02-2004, 12:17 PM
DH needs to be in Manhattan. My parents live in NJ and his parents are in Westchester, so not sure where we will end up. If anyone knows of anyone trying to sublet an apartment in the city...

Also, a couple of gear questions--I'm thinking I'll be OK w/my Mac Techno or Volo for cruising around the city. How do people handle cabs? DD is almost 2, so I guess she just uses a seat belt? What about the subway? Or longer train rides like NJ Transit? Even though we live in DC we drive most everywhere--

Marisa6826
12-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm in Northern Jersey also.

Check out www.craigslist.com for sublets. That's how we found ours when we were in between the condo and the house.

Do a search for NYC and you will find plenty of threads about people travelling to NYC with kiddos.

Sorry I can't answer longer. Have to run.

-m

rottiemom
12-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Another NY (westchester) mom here.

One of the nifty things about NYC is that so many different parts of the city itself have a neighborhood feel to it. You may not have to live in Manhattan, Queens is a hop & skip as is is Brooklyn, Staten Island & even Hoboken NJ.

I think you'll enjoy it!

Nina

loewymartin
12-02-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm a NY Mom ("upstate" which for me is just north of Albany). But I grew up "downstate" in Orange County. My folks are still there and my aunt used to take the train into Manhattan from Harriman. There are many options of where to live (including CT if your DH is ok with the train). Welcome to NY!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

redhookmom
12-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Welcome to NY. I was born in NYC but moved upstate very young. So, once yuo get settled in and want to go north for the weekend I will have lots of tips for you!

Marisa6826
12-02-2004, 02:28 PM
I lived in Hoboken 11 years, so if you decide that's where you want to end up, let me know and I can steer you in the right areas.

It's no cheaper than NYC, but they have quite a diverse system of Charter Schools.

-k

starrynight
12-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Good luck!!! I'm not from the area so I have no advice, just wanted to wish you some luck.

I know the feeling all too well, it's scary and exciting and kinda weird all at the same time to just pack up and go somewhere new not knowing if you will love it or hate it or what to expect!